1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Rebecca Craven

Rebecca Craven New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Well I bought this car on August 15 and almost exactly a month later someone blows a red light and slams into my drivers side wheel well. The passenger side airbags deployed and the wheel is turned at a strange angle, it definitely can’t be driven.
    I spent a lot of time looking at cars before choosing this one... it was perfect. I’m nervous they’ll say it’s totaled and terrified I’ll get screwed on the payout, as I haven’t even made a payment on the car yet. It’ll be another day or two before the final word from my insurance to even know where to take it to get an estimate.

Do you think they’ll total it?

#1 Rebecca Craven, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  2. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What did you pay for it -- how many miles? Unless you overpaid -- the others insurance company will have a hard time with the value.

Do you have collision coverage -- rental? GAP? Even if you don't personally have rental -- if the others insurance takes responsibility .. they will pay for you to get a rental.

With an older car -- companies are allowed to use salvage parts and aftermarket. Nothing wrong with salvage parts -- I would rather have a full OE door repainted to the correct color vs parts from aftermarket. It's hard to say if totaled (it's close) -- if the doors still work and the rear window on the side is still fitting OK -- the upper fame is most likely not damaged. It depends on the parts cost .. the ABags are expensive. If the upper frame is damaged -- it's totaled

MelonPrius likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

it might just need a new wheel/hub axle assembly, plus the cosmetic repair. no way to know until they start surgery.

all the best!(y)

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've often read that, if the air bags deploy, it's a total.

5. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We had a new lincoln years ago (company car) -- figured it had to be totaled ..front damaged (airbags deployed). They fixed it whole front clip ... it was only a few weeks old and 50k new. But -- I think for the most part your assessment is correct .. it takes almost nothing to have 10k in damage -- and this is before they replace expensive airbags.

This is some of the danger in buying damaged cars -- people rebuild them with salvaged parts including the airbags.

MelonPrius and jerrymildred like this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to see you "New" Prius in this condition. It sound like no one got hurt seriously. That was good. Without knowing more about your car, it is difficult to determine the fair market value of your car, but 2012 Prius Two trim with airbag deployed, my guess is that insurance company will call it "Totaled". Again, I am sorry. Let us know how the talk with insurance develops.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that'll buff right out...

8. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota's normal policy is that if there is damage to a part of the body that does not unbolt, it is considered totaled. Insurance companies can make more money selling the parts.

9. Toyo38289

Toyo38289 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am confused by this...

1. Toyota Motor Company has nothing to do with an insurance company's value assessment, nor their decision to deem a vehicle as "totaled."

2. Insurance companies are not in the business of selling car parts. If a car is totaled, the vehicle is scrapped / sold /auctioned as a whole.

10. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Totaled. Start shopping. Decline first offer as too low and start complaining about your neck. Go have your back checked and ask where to send the bill to help the insurance company open that wallet and pay you what its worth plus your time.