1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it totaled?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by therealsean, Jun 26, 2020.

1. therealsean

therealsean New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hit and run crash by someone who didn't have insurance and I only have liability insurance and I'm wondering if it's totaled.

Attached Files:

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Without insurance coverage, there can’t be a total loss settlement, so the car can’t be “totaled,” as such.

The practical question is whether the car is worth repairing, and the best way to answer this is to get an estimate from a body shop and consider this in view of your available funds and the value of similar, undamaged cars, as reported by sources such as NADA Guides or Kelley Blue Book.

Without an in-person inspection, it’s difficult to determine what repairs would be required. Some shops do offer online estimates from photos, but always with a disclaimer about hidden damage, which might add greatly to the estimated repair costs; for a reliable estimate, they need to see the car.

Keep in mind that you don’t necessarily have to have the car restored to its pre-collision appearance. If you’re on a budget, a shop could do only enough repairs to leave the car safe to drive and protected from corrosion.

3. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Does the floor inside look buckled? That would be one indication of more serious damage.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear about the accident.

Can you still drive? If not, where is the car now? Without insurance, you will have to pay for the repair out of pocket. Is it wise or worth to pay to repair? The best thing is to have a professional body shop to give you an estimate and proceed from there. Many body shops will work with you to lower the cost if it is not an insurance paid repair. There are certain things you can do your self to save the cost too.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

5. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Can't fully tell.
    Guess would be no, not totaled.

As mentioned above, is the floor buckled?
    Is the rear suspension, wheel alignment, in the same position as before the damage?

FWIW:
    Yet, yet is book value of the car vs shop repair cost (local $$ labor rate).
    Doing this DIY, with used parts and no paint work (assuming no frame/ suspension issues) you might be able to repair for under $1500....just a guess.

No insurance, might require a police report so you can sue in small claims for a cost recovery.
    I start with detailed photos as you being, and remove the rear bumper and rear cargo interior trim.
    Assess the "hidden damage" and perhaps have a shop measure the frame and check the 4 wheel alignment as a clue to whether to proceed with the repair and parts purchase.

Crashing sucks, no insurance can suck even more.
    Good luck.

6. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Duck tape the light back in get an alignment and drive it as is

I’ve driven worse

every accident Iveever had was when my car was empty and parked somewhere

That’s why I Pay $8 a month for uninsured driver coverage but my deductible is $500

Bay Stater and Montgomery like this.
  7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check your policy.
    You may have uninsured motorist.

As it stands, the vehicle is very repairable....even in SF.
    Your call....
    It’s likely paid for, so you’ll have to decide if it's worth about $2500 in repairs.
    Just factor in diminished value when filling out the spreadsheet.

Good Luck!

8. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No problem go to pick your parts and take parts to body shop if you cant slap stuff on.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. therealsean

therealsean New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone. We do have uninsured motorist property damage through Geico up to $3,500. We are in the process with Geico to see if we can use that if the car that hit us doesn't have insurance. A neighbor managed to follow the hit and run car and take a picture of the plate so we filed a police report with the Mission Police Department. It wasn't the lexus that's in the picture that hit and run us, it was a third car that hit the lexus which then slammed into us. We are sure that it was the one in the picture because there were parts of the hit and run car left over on the ground that matched the picture. The car still drives, doesn't have any warning lights kick in. I don't think the floor is warped nor that the alignment is bent. The major damage seems to be on the trunk because the lexus hit the bumper, not on the bumper plate, but instead just drove straight into the trunk door and tit bent the locking mechanism so the trunk can't be opened or closed. It looks like it will need a new bumper, left light, straighten the locking mechanism area, and maybe new trunk door?

Attached Files:

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    IMO: yes (almost without a doubt)

GOOD LUCK!

11. therealsean

therealsean New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I picked up a rear hatch and bumper from the pick and pull. We got $2,800 from the uninsured motorist property damage insurance. We’ll take it to the body shop next week. I’m curious if we’ll need to clip and weld the rear frame where the hatch lock is located.

AzusaPrius, Bay Stater and fotomoto like this.
  12. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have taken the money and ran
    (done the bare minimum to be legal.)

wear dents and Cuts as a badge of honor, if someone smacks your car again you get it repaired+

Good Luck

13. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thats what men do.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.