1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

is it worth buying extended warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DuyPrius, Mar 5, 2012.

1. plam0ne

plam0ne Ninja

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Modern cars are pretty reliable but, with all the electronics on the Prius- the dealers use FUD to make you seriously consider purchasing the extended warranty. When they start talking about failed displays, etc... it makes a pretty compelling case.

I think every owners worst nightmare is taking the family on a roadtrip and breaking down 100's/1000's of miles away from home to be presented with zero options and a multi thousand dollar repair bill on a non-warranty item in addition to towing, rental car and accommodation costs while the repairs are being performed. If you worry about that scenario- spend $1000 and get the 7yr/100K extended warranty. $1K for 7 years peace of mind is pretty inexpensive IMO.

If you never make long trips away from home- that's a different story since you can choose your own repair shop, easily get a ride home and won't have to pay for accommodations if a breakdown does occur.

1 person likes this.
  4. plam0ne

plam0ne Ninja

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    +1

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course they do. It's pure gold to them. Buy one if it makes you feel better, but it's not a sensible financial choice.

6. Brett.

Brett. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't read this entire thread, but I don't need to in order to tell you that a 100k warranty is just as unnecessary as a 36k mile factory one.

Most all vehicles today are built to last well beyond 100k miles with proper care and regular maintenance. Occasionally you do have a failed electronic component inside the car, a button, a bad weather strip etc but any one of the hundreds of small things that could go wrong, will cost you significantly less to purchase on your own outside of a warranty. Typically you will find all the cars shortcomings within the first 3 years or 36,000 miles anyway because if a part is installed defective, it will be apparent rather quickly.

Some people have the money to spend and don't mind as they consider it good insurance for peace of mind. Nothing wrong with that, but for those of you like me who treat their vehicle well - there is little to no worry about needing extended warranty.

In the event that you have the same item break several times consecutively your car may be a lemon, and will be purchased back with a refund or exchanged by the dealer.