1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it worth buying prius c than normal car??

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by one2noe, Jan 28, 2012.

1. one2noe

one2noe New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it worth buying prius c than normal car in-terms of battery reliability and re-sale as second hand car because i notice many people prefer new hybrid car than used one.just my 2cent

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

batteries are made to last 300,000 miles, so yeah, it makes sense... if you check Prius resale prices, they sell quite well.

3. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The answer to your question will be answered by how many c's fly off the lot. The price, proven design, mpg and if gas prices climb will be a sales home run or should i say grand slam. I got 3 things to say about toyota corolla, camry, prius and that is just the car side.

4. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been watching the battery issue for a long time. With Prius, the simple, bullet-proof driveline (no mechanical shift, no friction coupling) makes up for whatever extra cost exposure the traction battery represents in the out-of-warranty car. Battery failures appear to happen at such a rate that they can readily be supplied by wreck salvage.

Many other hybrids have cone-and-belt variable ratio transmissions. The main mechanical parts in those take a big beating, and I suspect that manufacturers push these because shifting automatics last so inconveniently long if properly handled.

Simply put, Prius makes sense for those who keep the car a long time and to very high miles! Whether or not the disappointing gas mileage predictions for Prius C mean that one might as well have the larger, nicer standard Prius is another question! (Perhaps not for someone deciding between Prius C and an econobox.)

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    People generally prefer buying new vehicles over used because of newer amenities, a warranty and because a used car is a car somebody didn't want (which increases the chance that there's something wrong with it). The big issue for hybrids is the battery and other parts of the hybrid system.

Prius prices do take a hit once they are past the hybrid warranty, but if you take care and have the vehicle checked by a qualified tech it actually makes financial sense to buy one because the batteries, on average, last much longer than the warranty and the rest of the hybrid system lasts longer. People buying used often have cash-flow limitations that mean they would have difficulty paying for a battery replacement and that means they find it difficult to take the risk, and therefore if you do have the cash-flow you're ahead of the general market.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    By "many other hybrids" you mean Honda.

It's actually because they are Japanese and CVTs are well-suited to Japanese driving and combine easily with hybrid tech. However, Honda is the only hybrid manufacturer to sell one with a manual transmission (the CR-Z).

Honda's CVTs aren't particularly reliable. Nisasn's are the best and rock solid but they are expensive ($1500 option) and use expensive, proprietary fluids that force you to use their dealers for maintenance.

:focus:

7. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the price of gasoline this year goes to the $5.00 per gallon mark and above you will see all the Prius models sell completely off the lots so fast they can not be restocked in time.

Now, if the price of gas goes to $3.00 and below per gallon, a cold chance in hell on that one, you will see a lot full of the Prius models on the Toyota car lots not selling.

The price of gas is the true main reason for most people owning a prius. I remember when the price of gas was real low there was 13 Prius at the local Toyota dealer which is a small dealer.

al

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think it's because anyone who is looking at a hybrid is probably new to the hybrid scene so they want the assurance of a new car warranty (and on the hybrid components, it's 8 years and 100,000 miles). These cars are used as taxis and the NiMH has been proven to be very reliable (almost close to 500,000 miles of taxi driving before replacing for one of the Canadian cabs). There are also a few members here that own or drive for a taxi company and they can attest to the reliability and low running cost of a Prius.

So until the word gets out that these things are just as reliable as engines (well at least the Toyota system, I can't say for other ones), then people will be hesistant to buy used.

However, I would think there will be plenty of lightly used Prii (3 years) because there will be a good chunk of those on leases too. When those flood the market in 1-2 years, there'll be some good deals methinks.

9. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the Prius C price is comparable with a high end corolla the answer in my opinion is yes.

If you like technology like I do, the Prius C is worth taking a close look at.

We have a 2010 Prius, we purchased in mid May in 2009, one of the first ones. Now we have 66,000 miles on it and the only problem we have is the cd player no longer works, however the naviagation system works great, the display etc.

MPG are great in summer 53-58 mpg claculated true. Winter, not so much, last fillup with a lot of short trips with rain and wet roads was calcualted 43.9 indiated at 46.7mpg.

The lowest calculated mpg was 40.8 and the highest over 62 mpg the low was in the coldest part of winter and the highest in summer with dry roads and temps 70-80 degrees.

I think we will keep our Prius but the Prius C may get a few more new purchasers that may not have bought a regular Prius.

alfon

10. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, particularly if you understand the minor risk and big gains. More so if you drive it a lot.

11. phenoyz

phenoyz Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes for me. I want that 53+ high MPG and the new tech that comes w/it

12. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford Fusion is a cone-and-belt, is it not? The drawbacks you so succinctly describe sound like deal-breakers to me! (August `12. I subsequently found out that the Ford Fusion and C-Max are very admirable power split hybrids.)

13. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Fusion is a planetary gear set very much like that of Prius. Not cone and belt.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where did you get that 300,000 mile figure? Seen it estimated more like 180k miles, although I've heard of the 400k taxis on original battery. Time is a factor for those who don't drive so many miles, like 8k / year.

15. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the Prius c is anything like the Prius HB then its fuel efficiency advantage (over a conventional gas or diesel vehicle) depends on your average daily commute trip's time, distance, and driving temperature/weather conditions.

1) IF you are driving in more often than not in cold temperatures (<=45 F degrees) , your average commute is less than 30 minutes/7 miles THEN a conventional gas or diesel vehicle might provide better fuel efficiency unless you have and use a engine block heater(EBH) on the Prius c. At very short distances in very cold temperatures, the overhead for the Prius c's partial zero emission system which cuts into its fuel efficiency is extended by the colder temperatures so you won't get the rated EPA MPG levels. When an engine block heater is used to raise the engine coolant to atleast 90F degrees before the ICE is started this temperature penalty is lessen(and together with grill blocking), and the trip time/distance needed to mitigate the warmup cost is cut in half (see item 2).

2) IF you are driving in more or less warmer temperatures (>55 F degrees), and your average commute is less than 12 minutes/3 miles THEN a fuel efficient conventional gas(e.g. Yaris/Fit/Accent/Focus) or diesel vehicle(TDI Polo/Jetta) or an battery electric vehicle (e.g. Leaf) might provide a more competitive overall cost effective solution. At very short distances, the overhead for the Prius c's partial zero emission system will cut into its fuel usage/efficiency so you won't get the rated EPA MPG levels.

3) IF your daily commute involves driving for long distances (>15 miles) at hi speeds (>55mph) THEN a regular Prius HB will probably deliver better fuel efficiency. At high speeds the Prius HB's better aerodynamics should provide better fuel efficiency over the Prius c lower curb weight.

4) IF your daily commute involve driving distances over 35 minutes at low speeds (0mph to 40 mph) at temperatures above 60F THEN the Prius c should get better gas mileage than any conventional or hybrid (not plug-in) vehicle out there. In addition, if the Prius c is hypermiled I expect it will deliver nearly the same fuel cost as most BEVs and PHEVs at half the cost.

Possible Prius c competition??? - the Honda Fit Hybrid ( sold only in Japan) and the Ford Focus Hybrid (sold only in Europe).

16. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

theory is cool, you need to check Prius c reviews... Danny was easily getting 60 MPG at 70 mph. Lowest any reviewer said they got was 46 mpg (i read around 10), and everyone said 50 mpg was easily achievable... So real life mpg of Prius c seems to be a lot better than of G3...as it should be with smaller engine, newer system and 20% less weight.

17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In his highway test, Wayne Gerdes got 84.758 mpgUS.

CleanMPG Forums - View Single Post - Toyota’s Prius c And another PHEV in Detroit

He hasn't done an extended test yet, but he's certain that in city/suburban driving it's worth over 100mpg. The reduced battery size wouldn't make much difference to him, since it's pulse and glide.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm deep into this category. I have a 5.5 mile/10-15 min commute and half the year is spent under 45°F/7°C. I'm still able to hold a 49mpg average (see sig).

Yes I do have an EBH and full block for the 6 months that are under 7°C as a daytime high (on average. We can hit 7°C in the middle of winter like the last two days or be in the -25°C/-13°F range.) The Gen 3 is much much better than the Gen 2 in this regard (See the lifetime average in the sig between the two. The Gen 2 was in a much warmer climate with a longer commute where it rarely got below freezing).