1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it worth getting bottom grill blocked?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PutPutMobile, Feb 25, 2018.

1. PutPutMobile

PutPutMobile Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just got some pipe insulation from Home Depot and curious about the grill block. Is it necessary to have the scan gauge when the bottom grill is blocked? Or can I just block about 70% of it (the mid and bottom part of the lower grill) without worrying about the motor or inverter heating up without scan gauge.? Right now in southern california, temps go as high as mid 60's and at night it's about mid 40's.

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why do you want to block at those temperatures?
    I think @Mendel Leisk blocks about 50% of his grille during winter. With my Gen 4 the active grille shutters handle it for me. :D

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. PutPutMobile

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just want better results of mpg.. currently averaging only 44-45 mpg @Prodigyplace

4. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. PutPutMobile

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    oh ok.. i'm just wondering cos some peeps here averaging 50's mpg

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Grill blocking when it is under freezing is safe. Above that, I would like to have coolant temps for both the engine loop and the inverter loop if possible, so you do not go over the 'normal' temps. (My engine loop stays at 197 F or under normally)

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Lower speed is good, longer commutes are good, higher outside air temp is good to about 85 F. Most important is driver skill, read up on Pulse and Glide, but be sure you are not annoying other traffic.

Regenerative Braking recovers 30% of braking energy, organizing your life so you don't brake, saves 100%. Panic Braking saves 0%.

Both grill blocking and engine block heaters can improve MPG, but they have the most effect when it is cold outside. Lighter (usually smaller) wheels and tires save more MPG the faster you go. Low rolling resistance tires are easier to find in smaller sizes as well. 40 in front, 38 in rear. While I never recommend turning off the A/C as it cools the battery, window tinting to the legal limit can save gas.

#7 JimboPalmer, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I grill blocked last week because temps finally dipped below 20s for cold soak starts and with 50s for daytime highs. Couldn't block directly behind the front license plate but everything else on the lower grill was blocked. Most of my daily commute are only 20 min (19min 35 mph or slower + 1 min 55 mph) therefore ICE spends most of it's time off with EV kicking in. I've yet use the heater + defrosters since testing the prius before buying it during the summer so I won't have to worry about scangauging for real-time temps. Grill blocking makes no difference when I'm on the highway because ICE is always running keeps the engine oil operating temp and its afternoon or evening when on highway.

Depends on your driving conditions such as stop-and-go, majority freeway, 5-10 minute wait in locked traffic, pulse and glide- grill blocking might not make a difference.

This link helped me out the most, and I use the first post table for reference when to unblock without monitoring temps.
    2010 Prius Grill Blocking strategy | PriusChat

#8 Grit, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What's your daily commute in terms of driving speed, distance and duration? Tire size and PSI?

I have 15s" 44/42 with majority of residential streets + a small downtown driving like a grandpa, prius gets the 56-70mpgs. When I drive with judiast priest 'breaking the law', prius gets 45-50mpg.

10. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was running the lower grill completely blocked and one spring, I drove to the city and it got in the low 80's. I was running the Torq app and coming up a long hill out of town, the temp never got over 190 so I wouldn't be afraid to block the lower grill in your case.

Danny3xd and Grit like this.
  11. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Correction: Grill blocking does make a difference on the highway.

The benefits of a grill block are twofold: first, as you and others here have noted, is to reduce warm-up time by limiting cooling airflow. But, limiting that airflow also keeps it out of the aerodynamically "dirty" (high drag) underhood area, sending it around the streamlined body instead. This is why, in the last several years, manufacturers have significantly reduced the size of grill openings on new cars; many cars now have quite small openings compared to the area that looks like grill space and would have been open grill a few model generations ago. A secondary benefit of limiting airflow into the engine bay is typically a reduction in front lift.

I run a partial lower grill block year-round, and 100% in the winter. It's not wise to do this without a Scangauge, Torque app, LED wired to the cooling fan circuit, or some other means of monitoring coolant temperature.

12. PutPutMobile

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I’ve been doing the pulse and glide routine in what the video said. Pretty much braking slowly when coming to a red light or a stopped car.

My drive to work is about 11miles and about 30 minutes on streets. Tires on 40 psi. And my rims are very light even on 17s. Mostly drive half street and half freeway. Streets up to 45. Freeways, I try to limit myself to just 70.

Gotcha. I don’t have a scan gauge. Oh well. The zip ties and insulation only costs about $6 so I’m not worried about price.

#12 PutPutMobile, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2018
  13. ReDave

ReDave Junior Member

Central California, Sierra/Sequoia Foothills
    Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a strong suspicion that the 17's might be a problem. We had a 2010 that we always got over 50 mpg [whatever the original smaller rims were]
    And our newer 2015 i can't even get 49 mpg, and it came with 17's. I often only get 46
    It's funny but those few MPG"s drive me nuts. Of course the 2010 had narrower tires, and my newer tires i got narrower than the stock, still no good.

14. PutPutMobile

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I see. I can’t change my wheels. Looks great compared to my stocks. Well I’m satisfied with my mpgs now compared with 2009 civic which is about 24 mpg streets.

ReDave likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My strategy:

Consistently below 0C: 100% lower block (sometimes just stick with 50%, get lazy, it's safer too)

As long it stays under 10C: 50% lower block

Any time under heavy load, say going up a ski mountain, NO block

50% lower equals one 1.5" OD foam x 4' insulation tube, pushed onto a grill slat and held on with Velcro tape near each end.

IMG_8107.JPG

And to hold heat in the engine bay, short pieces of the same tubing, which I leave in year round.

IMG_8108.JPG

#15 Mendel Leisk, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    mygel, Prodigyplace and Danny3xd like this.
  16. PutPutMobile

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Mendel. I’ll probably do that. 50% is more better for me since I don’t have a scan gauge.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you calculating your mpg manually or using the car? The outer diameter of your tires may be different than stock making the car’s calculations inaccurate.

18. PutPutMobile

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ya I’ve been calculating my mpg by car and doing it manually. Still around 44-45

19. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That explains it all.

You can remove spare tire and kit plus rear row seats if that makes a difference :p

MattStevenson likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Different OD of tires throws manual calc off too. I alternate between 195/65R15 snow tires and 215/45R17 that the car came with. The latter have a slightly smaller OD, so that going to change the odometer reporting, and so on.

I think ultimately, the differences are small enough to be "lost in the noise".