1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it worth it to buy all the maintainance tools?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by acemason, Apr 20, 2018.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kind of depends on what your budget for tools can be? Right?
    Also maybe what you feel about your long term desire to do your own maintenance and upkeep might be.

But if you are committed to learning, or becoming a DIY maintenance person...and maybe even more? Then having the proper tools and/or Set of Tools is a important thing and a worthy investment.

I would suggest that you don't have to buy everything at once. You can buy just the specific tools you need for specific jobs, and slowly expand your collection of tools.
    If you are afraid of being stranded in a project due to a missing tool? That's when having that good friend or neighbor comes in handy. Or you can always use that situation as convenient excuse to go buy...another tool.

But how quickly you put together a collection of tools is kind of up to you, and your budget.

Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, good old Craftsman tools! My 1st set of tools were Craftsman. Still have most of them! Used to browse through Sears tool dept drooling over them. Going to miss the experience soon unfortunately. :cry:

#22 Bay Stater, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    NutzAboutBolts and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kind of an off topic personal opinion question but do you feel Craftsman is as good as it use to be?

4. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’m not sure since I started buying craftsman tool since 07. I haven’t bought them recently since I acquired all my tools already by 09, but I can tell you I rather use matcotools ratchet than craftsman since it sounds smooth and doesn’t click and skip tooth like craftsman ratchet. I use craftsman sockets, but if I could, I would buy matcotools ratchets and torque wrench since it sounds and feels smooth when using them.

Bay Stater and The Electric Me like this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Craftsman tool brand is also sold at hardware stores like Lowes and Ace Hardware, if a Sears store is not convenient to your locale.

I think the OP should invest in a tool set, for example at a $110 price point, you can get an excellent starter set. Then add the specific tools you need on top of that, such as an oil filter wrench, 1/2" and 3/8" torque wrenches, long nose pliers, diagonal cutters, etc.

6. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep, always have a basic tool set as a back up.

Bay Stater likes this.
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The answer will be "No" the following:

If you plan to resell your car in couple of years and want to keep resale value at its highest, just get it done at dealerships so its logged on to carfax reports.

If your current living situation is renting and the lease says no fixing cars such as changing oil and you have friends family or prius meet ups with tools already.

Timing chain cover seeps and don't want to invest to remedy that, and rather buy a Honda Civic hybrid next, continue to save money for maintenance tools.

"Yes"

Plan to keep the prius for a long time and to fix the seep.

Paranoid about stealerships and their inability to do things right the first time and charge your boatload...wait that's me.

You've have yet purchased your own set.

Bay Stater likes this.