1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it worth it to replace HYRBID BATTERY on an 03 PRIUS?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jesse Elledge, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Jesse Elledge

Jesse Elledge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hybrid battery failed for the second time after replacing a bad module. Not worth fixing again. I'm in between replacing the hybrid battery or replacing the car.

It's well maintained, has 157,000 miles and has had the inverter pump and PCV valve replaced.

I'm worried that I'll spend $2500 to replace the Hybrid Battery and something else will pop up. Can I get some advice from anyone with experience?

2. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd shoot for a reconditioned one that has 3rd gen modules in it. I did one recently for about $1600. It's not hard to put too much money into these cars. Weigh out the book value verses how much you love the car.

3. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's good to put a price limit on car repairs to decide if they're worthwhile to you or not. But only you can determine what price limit you're comfortable with. Your concern that something else could fail in your 14-year-old 1st generation Prius is legitimate. That could very well happen, and the age of the car makes it more likely. Being well-maintained reduces that risk somewhat, but there's no way of knowing what will actually happen with your specific car in the short- or long-term future. So the biggest question I'd ask yourself is "how much money am I willing to spend on my current car before I regret not putting it toward buying something else?"

WHCSC likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The new battery kit from @2k1Toaster might work.
    His price is $1600 including shipping for a set of new modules. I know he says they work in Gen 2 and Gen 3. Perhaps you should PM him. I think he has a discounted price right now.

morm3993 likes this.
  5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay,thinking rationally, it's not worth it to put a couple of thousand dollars into a $2500 car. But his car is relatively low mileage and Barstow is a dry, warm climate so rust isn't a problem--tho the paint may have seen better days. The OP can check with Toyota corporate to see if they'll give him a deal under the Toyota Goodwill Program. As the greasy monkey said he has to weigh out whether he loves the car enough to lay some real money on it. Couple of grand makes a pretty nice down payment.

6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Easy math:
    If (value of car as-is) + (repair) < (value of car repaired), then you should repair.

So, for example, you can buy a similar used 2003 Prius for $3500 and your Prius is worth only $500 in its current state.

Then $500 + $2500 < $3500, then you should repair.

You'll have to use real numbers for your calculation. The idea is that if you can buy the same car used for less than repair + current value, why would you spend more money?

Some would say you take a gamble on the used market. You don't know what has happened to the other car. Well, it's not a gamble keeping your own car at all. It's already dead and not working. There's no gamble, you already lost. Plus, you said you don't know what else may crop up.

7. Jesse Elledge

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks all! I just heard Toyota would apply a "Goodwill Warranty" in some situations. What are my chances of lucking out with Toyota?

8. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I've seen from other PriusChat members, you will have the best chance to get some goodwill price reduction if you have all or most of your regular maintenance done at a Toyota dealer.

9. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It costs nothing to try. Check with the dealer for an estimate of what it will cost to replace the battery, get the phone number of Toyota corporate, and then start navigating the Toyota system. Worst case, they'll say that they can't help you.

10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, according to another thread, Toyota requires the codes to be read by a dealer who will charge a fee for that service.If Toyota offers a goodwill warranty it may cover that charge. It they say no, you are out the cost of the dealer diagnostic.

11. Jesse Elledge

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Unfortunately, HQ said they wouldn't cover it because it has too many miles. 100,000 miles or 10 years was the limit. So I'm out the $99 for the diagnostic.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jesse, can you do your own work? If you can, I'd suggest getting all 38 modules in Gen2 or later versions, they're newer and upgraded, I guess. Used is probably okay. Here's where I'd get them: The wonky forum software won't let me post the link. Do a search for Prius Battery modules on Amazon. Love the forum, the software sucks, tho.

The price is $33.49 each and you need 38. They offer a protection plan that covers failure for 2 years for $8.47 each (38 protection plans I guess.) You might not need 38 protection plans tho, not all of them would fail. Get a new buss bars $87 NEW Hybrid Battery Bus Bars (36 pcs) Toyota Prius Gen 1 2001-2003 - Reflex Concepts LLC and you can rebuild your battery for $1594 + $87= $1681. And have a great battery. Note, Amazon charges shipping on these modules.

#12 Brian in Tucson, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if @2k1Toaster would be able to price out a Gen 1 with with his modules. That would be a new battery for DIY.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  14. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I asked, he would sell the modules, but the installer (owner) would have to come up with a wiring harness using the OEM plug. Interesting, I don't currently need one, my battery pack is relatively new--late 2013. And I use a Prolong balancer/conditioner system to try to keep it healthy. My guess is that the modules would be around $100 each or a bit more and we'd need 19 of them. You would replace 38 OEM modules with 19 of these. Mixing and matching wouldn't be an option I'd be willing to try.

Using the new modules from 2k1Toaster would be a great option if they work out long term--they're being road tested now.

#14 Brian in Tucson, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  15. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it will be hard to compete with dealer pricing on Gen 1 packs.
    For some reason, even though they have more modules, Gen 1 packs at the dealer cost less than Gen 2 packs. (about $150 less, wholesale price)

The aftermarket cylindrical cells may cost as much as a Toyota oem pack. And that is before assembly and custom wiring.

May only make sense if you sell your old modules to offset the cost cylindrical pack.

16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Jesse, I can probably help you with this if desired. I have a couple Gen 1 batteries that are OEM factory replacements that were manufactured very recently. Date codes on the modules are 2014/2015

WHCSC, Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is this your profession or just a pack rat & hobbyist? :D:oops:
    I know you are thorough in your testing of used packs.:)(y)

18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This pretty much covers it !!!!

Ever since I bought that first 2005 a few years ago, it's just become more and more of a serious hobby. I've been able to learn enough to recognize a good thing when I see it and rarely fail to seal the deal. If I didn't have a wife, I'd probably have bought, fixed and sold 20 or 30 Prii by now. (or I'd have a mini-salvage yard on my property). I have no problem passing a deal on to someone else. I try for those win-win situations.

19. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Me too! I don't have a wife, but I'm 2 vehicles beyond my limit for where I live. & the Boxster-money pit takes most of my car related cash.

20. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At my shop I no longer sell refurbished or rebuilt packs for Gen1's. All the original 01-03 modules are pretty near end of life. Anyone trying to "rebuild" a pack with 15 year old modules gets to play whack a mole, and even Gen2 modules more than 10 years old are now failing with age....even Dorman cannot deliver reliable rebuilt packs so they've reduced their warranty on rebuilt packs to 1 year.

If you have little money and lots of time (and another vehicle to use when your Prius is out of service) go ahead and try some of the stuff you see on the internet, but you'll see it becomes futile.

Best option is to buy a BRAND NEW pack from Toyota. Modules will be recent and your car will work reliably. Now if you don't want to spend ~$2500 on a 15 year old car don't think of it as in investment in that car, think of it as an investment into a Hybrid battery which can be moved/repackaged to many other Toyota Hybrids should something bad happen to that car (engine/tranny blow up, wreck etc).