1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Liberalism a Religion?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Jun 8, 2006.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No it's just Anti-American

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No they have not evolved far enough to enter that plane of existence.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yes but only so far as it helps them win elections.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 8 2006, 10:53 PM) [snapback]268430[/snapback]</div>
    Actually I think we will come to complete agreement on several of your points, and quite disagree on others.

First on the point of extreemes, extreme liberalism, or conservitism is not a good thing, people get so far out on either wing and loose all sight of objectivity. You need a balance of ideas from both sides of the aisle to have a healthy society.

Now for what we disagree on. Banned to an island? Something I'd expect from a few others but I hoped you would be above that, but most likely, but I can understand and forgive an outburst you didn't mean. Next I'd hardly say the country goes to pot whenever you have a liberal at the helm, from my own experience, I have enjoyed greater standards of living under liberal administrations. In fact a common comment I hear from the conservatives is something like "we have a good economy now under (current Dem) because of the ground work (previous Rep) started" and I've heard that this line has been around since the Hoover admin. Next liberal pantywaist? afraid to fight and stand for anything? I suggest you check THIS LINK to find out who did and didn't stand up, tjhen there's one poster on this board who is in strond support of the Irag invasion but is too yellow to go fight himself and calls people with brilliant military carrers names like "jihad jack...". Then you make the inference that we liberals can't even run our own families, well, I beg your pardon, but for this leberal, my first wife and I have been married for over 20 years now, neither one of us has ever been unfaithfull to the other, heck, we haven't even had our first fight yet. Can you say the same for those on your side? Newt Gingrick, Rush Linbaugh anyone? Sure you can name plenty of liberals with less than stellar family lives as well but remember the line "...let he who among you who is without sin...".

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Not even enough substance for a low-level flame. :blink:

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Jun 8 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]268212[/snapback]</div>
    Do a quick Google on the question I asked in this poll and you will see that quite a few people are asking the same question from both sides of the political spectrum.

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2fst4u @ Jun 8 2006, 06:54 PM) [snapback]268388[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 8 2006, 06:55 PM) [snapback]268389[/snapback]</div>
    See above. And open your mind a bit. :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 8 2006, 07:24 PM) [snapback]268403[/snapback]</div>
    He's making a joke and you welcome him/her like this becuase you don't get or like his humor? Mean spirited and buffonish. :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Jun 8 2006, 08:32 PM) [snapback]268423[/snapback]</div>
    Truth stings a bit don't it? :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ Jun 8 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]268445[/snapback]</div>
    A bit like calling the kettle balck are we? :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jun 9 2006, 12:40 AM) [snapback]268492[/snapback]</div>
    Prehaps these article will raise the substance level . . .

http://www.jaygaskill.com/liberalismasreligion.htm

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comm...rtz053101.shtml

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2003/10/24/81524/682

http://www.nhc.rtp.nc.us:8080/tserve/twent...nfo/liberal.htm

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocial...5&convId=176868

http://www.opinioneditorials.com/freedomwr...t_20031219.html

Only a few I found from other more open minds on the internet. Have a great day ya'all.

Wildkow

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ Jun 8 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]268445[/snapback]</div>

Your right and not.... its another way of saying that those who are the target liberals are the ones who don't carry conviction about anything....

I've always considered myself liberal... because I try to give the benifit of a doubt and realize the law was made for man, not man for the law.... so I don't appreciate laws that only bring hindrance and bondage rather than being helpful and promoting freedom for all.

UNTILL I've heard some of the opinions on PC... now I see I'm not extreme at all.

I like the liberal idea... but being liberal does not mean that the only law is that there are no laws.

I really really hate stopping at a redlight when NO ONE is there!.... but some laws are really necessary and many are not outdated and still pertenent to the big picture.

Laws rarely serve the one perfectly but considers the many.

The liberals I target are the ones that only want laws for me me me me and have no consideration for anyone else because they are selfish and immature and have never grown up and throw a fit unless everything goes thier way.....

OK.. I guess that about sizes it up! :lol: :lol:

If you don't fit that catagory.. then pat yourself on the back and breath easy.... you still have your rational!

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stupid poll, because it only insults. Reminds me of the old unanwserable question "have you quit beating your wife?"

I suppose its because of Ann Coulter's new book. She's a bit too strident for me; her style is simply "Michael Moore for the right". She intends to shock, and she does.

The more important question is this: since most people have religious beliefs, do those that reject any kind of religious belief use something else to fill the "religion void" in their life? Do humans need to have something they accept as rigid truth, and without religious dogma will find some other belief?

You could name any number of things that people will elevate to that level in their life ... fanatical following of Elvis, the Red Sox and Monty Python come to mind. It could be that some liberals use political causes to fill that "religion void" in their life, but that would hardly make them unique.

Then again, since so many atheists and agnostics are liberal, we may see more correllation between strident liberals and atheism, just as we see more strident religious people being conservative. But we have to remember that correllation is not cause. Most liberals believe that their views are better for America, just as conservatives want the best for the country. Neither group has nefarious intentions.

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jun 9 2006, 10:45 PM) [snapback]269070[/snapback]</div>
    I was always told that there were no stupid questions.

Wildkow

p.s. Could you please explain how this is insulting? I don't see any correlation between my question and your posting "Have you stopped beating your wife?" are the same or similar. Your question implicates you as a wife beater no matter how you answer and mine does nothing of the sort. You just posted that lame example so that you could label me as stupid, right? Seriously I ask the "Yes/No" question and added a couple of silly answers cause anytime someone asks a simple yes/no question everyone howls that their are not enough options/answers to cover the whole gamit of possible opinions. And to think that the left used to label the Right as mean spirited. :rolleyes: