1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is limo tint dangerous?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by chainik, Jul 6, 2007.

1. chainik

chainik New Member

I'm going to tint my Prius. In NJ you cannot tint front windows, rear windows are allowed any darkness, as long as it's not metallic/mirror look. I would like to have a limo tint on rear windows for privacy - sometimes I'm being called to the hospital and there's only a couple of hours left before my next shift, so I take a nap in the car.
    Is limo tint so dark that you can barely see what's going on around you? If this is the case, I'll tint it lighter and I'll get HeatShield all around the car - ultimate privacy curtain :)

2. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't see a big problem. The tinter should have an example for you to see. They usually do several a day and you could stop by and see what it looks like. The are usually much lighter on the inside than the outside.
    I've got tint on my front windows (35% I think), not limo black though. You are not supposed to here in Mi either, but I've never had a problem.

3. BexarWolf

BexarWolf New Member

IMHO, yes the limo tint is dangerous but mostly at night. I had a car with the limo tint on all rear windows and the back deck window. I couldn't see crap at night behind me. Granted, I didn't have a backup camera but it was still dark.

Then think about the next time you're pulled over by the police. If they can't see you while walking up to the car, they're not going to be in a good mood when they get there.

Just my opinion.

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Limo tint, is that like Gangsta Tint?

5. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Limo tint looks really cool and is very good at keeping things out of site in the back seat area....however, you cannot see crap when backing up at night. I am sure the cam will help with that, but you really can't see anything when backing up, unless you have alot of outside lights around you. If your in a dark environment, almost totally blind.

Good luck.

6. Inches

Inches Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Jul 6 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]474198[/snapback]</div>
    I was thinking of going with the Limo tint but the tint guy said that most people go with the next level up, I took his advise and am quite pleased. Of course the front is not tinted but there is a clear UV blocker which I went for thinking it would help preserve the leather.

When I am backing I use the mirrors most of the time, have not yet gotten used to using the backup camera.

7. chainik

chainik New Member

I'm going to get myself Huper Optic to tint windows, they actually don't have a limo tint. Their lowest visible light transmittance film is Ceramic 30 with 34% transmittance. So I'll be using HeatShield on all windows to keep eyes of me sleeping in the car :)

8. divine190

divine190 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New Jersey, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
    No colors of tint are explicitly banned though.

Loose_sweater likes this.
  9. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you dig and search through posts I've made on this forum you'll eventually find one about my tint, where I had it done and how much I paid for it. It was a really great shop, the first thing I noticed is that as soon as I came in to inquire about getting my car tinted they took me straight outside to see a car they had just finished so I could see their work. Now that's a shop that takes pride in it's quality of workmanship.

We went back inside and looked over the different types of tint, what darkness, and then finally price. I really wasn't that concerned about price, I'm only going to have my car tinted once and I wanted it done right the first time. I chose to go with their famed FormulaOne Pinnacle ceramic series of tint, 5% all around the back and 35% on the front doors (and little triangles on the front doors) and I talked them into doing a 5% banner across the top of the windshield.

I really like it, I think it's just about dark enough for me, I would have done the front doors in 5% too if it was legal but it's not. I don't consider it 'dangerous' by any means during the day. At night it does get a little harder to see but I can see through the front doors to my sides just fine with the 35% tint. From the rear view and blind spots I don't have any trouble seeing headlights and if there are any street lights around or in lit parking lots I can see objects that are not projecting light just fine.

As far as night goes, just last night going home from work I had bumped the rear view mirror taking the sunshade down. It was 10:00 at night and didn't notice the mirror out of adjustment until I was on the freeway and with nobody behind me and no street lights along that stretch of freeway (really an area with nothing around) I could not properly adjust the mirror, but really I couldn't even tell where the edges of the windows were so it was just that dark inside the car too so I don't think the tint was really to blame for that. As soon as a car entered the freeway behind me I could adjust the mirror and see all the edges of the back window from their headlights just fine. I don't consider it a problem.

Edit: Wait a sec, it's actually 15% now that I think of it. And that night, on my way home from work I was really thinking about it and on a reasonably well lit road I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the 35% front windows and the 15% rear windows looking out from the inside, but trying to look in from the outside as long as there isn't a light sourse inside the car or shining in through the windshield the difference from 35% to 15% is very noticeable and you just about can't see in the rear unless there is a light source inside or else you have to mash your face up to the window and block out surrounding light with your hands. you can see through the front, just not that well, mostly just silhouettes.

Ah, and another thing I remembered, the small rear window on the lower part of the hatch I had done in 35% because it was a little darker to begin with so it came out indistinguishable from the 15% tinted windows around it, they have a very uniform look.

10. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    when getting limo tint on the rear, make sure you have an understanding that they will tint the entire rear end. even including the window underneath the spoiler. tell them to be careful with the heat gun and to be careful with the razor blade, as they might melt the plastic trim or cut into the rubber window seals

the place that tinted mine didnt tint the under spoiler window.

11. Wots

Wots Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have the limo tints in the rear and the next step up for the fronts. Using the center rear view mirror is pain. So I rely on the side view mirrors and a quick turn of the head to make sure there are no cars to the side of me. To look into the back seat you almost have to have your nose plastered on the window to see in. All in all I am happy with the tints.

12. Wots

Wots Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Quick story.
    I was parked at a “Candy Factory” when this herd of kids and their parents come walking by the car. One of the kids smacks my side view mirror making it pivot back. Wish I had my camera ready when I rolled down the window~~~~~~~~

13. thomatt12

thomatt12 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Limo tint on the Prius seems like a good idea. Post some pictures when you already have yours tinted to check if it looks good.

14. rrobin1057

rrobin1057 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what was the name of that place ?