1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Mobile 1 High Mileage oil a bad match for the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Preeeus, Mar 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The only spec in the 2010 Prius manual for oil is ILSAC (it doesn't specify which ILSAC rating, such as GF-4).

It looks like Mobil 1 High Mileage oils are not ILSAC rated. Does that make them a bad match for the Prius?

2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any high mileage oil is bad for any car! It swells the seals, which in turn will make them fail sooner.

William Redoubt likes this.
  3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Mobil 1 EP High Mileage versions do have ILSAC ratings...

4. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use the mobil-1 fuel efficient 0W-20 for hybrids/electrics. Way better than stock toyota oil in my opinion. Lasts longer too.

William Redoubt likes this.
  5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to tell ya, but Toyota oil is Mobil 1.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  6. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Its made by mobil-1, but they're not the same.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Only difference is an additive package that Toyota spec. It’s still Mobil 1. I use Mobil 1, 0W-40 as it’s better then 0W-20 which is water and that 0W-40 is the only true synthetic oil made by Mobil.

8. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, that additive package you're talking about seems to be useless because my prius runs better with mobil 1 0W-20, than the stock oem toyota oil. My engine is quieter with mobil 1 and it lasts way longer than the toyota oil. Even my acceleration and braking seems to be smoother. Believe it or not the prius oil has an effect with our braking, or should i say the engine? They all work in one relay.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Addictive package is for protection and prolonging the engine from wear, in no ways it's supposed to improve performance.

HPrimeAdvanced and scona like this.
  10. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How do you figure an oil last longer? It should be changed at 5K miles period. Oil and braking has no relationship, if you mean deceleration? It would have very little impact.

scona likes this.
  11. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for your feedback. What's the harm if you continue to use high mileage oil for that vehicle, and never switch back?

12. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting. Looked it up. Sure enough, those formulations do. All the non-EP High Mileage don't have ILSAC ratings, but the EP High Mileage does.

Unfortunately, Costco doesn't carry the EP High Mileage, and from other sources it's too expensive to use in our high-oil-consumption Prius. Do you know of any place to get it for a great price?

Andyprius1 likes this.
  13. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    High Mileage oil has additatives that swell the the seals and in doing so, degrade the seals overtime. When you have a leaking seal, the only real fix is to replace it.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Walmart has 5-qt jugs. Buying multiples saves some, ie 3, 6, 9, or 12. If you get 15k miles within 1 yr then you save by not having to change oil as often. You’d need to switch to a higher capacity filter such as Fram Ultra or Mobil 1....

(I’m afraid I didn’t do the math on whether 60 qts is the best deal)....

Preeeus likes this.
  15. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. We're not seeing the Mobil 1 EP High-Mileage 10W-30 at Walmart. Do you have a link?

Also, are the Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filters higher capacity than the Toyota filter?

Not sure we want to try High-Mileage oil based on orenji's post. Hard to decide.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's the one scenario that makes sense, especially if you've got an oil guzzler at the outset: buys you some more miles on the engine.

It's strangely underexplained on the high-mileage oil bottles. They seem to make the implication that this is the oil for you, over a certain number of miles, and NO mention of the seal-swelling. Borders on deception.

Years back I can recall looking at a bottle, wondering if I should be using it. This is with cars with very modest oil consumption.

17. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oil filter housing determines capacity.

18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh no Red line oil is only rated Dexo Gen 1, not Gen 2. It's not a match either :ROFLMAO:

19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As Mendel alluded to it is somewhat confusing.

I followed Gen 3 recommendation and looked up 0W-20, not the 10W-30 that you are using. Mobil doesn’t make an EP High Mileage 10W-30 I’m afraid. If it were my car and it passed the 75k mi point I will consider a high mileage formulation vs switching to a thicker viscosity, given the two choices. Currently I am changing annually using 0W-20 Annual Protection. Just my humble opinion.

As far as I’m aware the Mobil, Fram, or other extended drain filters use synthetic filter media which can hold more dirt without clogging. (As I know STP makes a 15k mi filter, but Mobil and Fram both make a 20k mi filter. Spec on the Fram Ultra note 20 microns up, I believe Mobil 1 Extended Performance filters (newer version with “A” appended to the part number) note 30 microns and up. I collected a bunch of the Mobil 1 filters for an old Mercedes in the household so I will be using those, otherwise I’ve switched to Fram Ultra, because I noticed this subtle difference...

Preeeus likes this.
  20. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What Mendel said made total sense in a nut shell.

To rephrase what he said if your engine seals are deteriorating, rings are not functioning as usual, putting high mileage will buy you sometime to keep driving until they completely give up. And if your not engine oil inclined/knowledgable, the "high mileage" label might trick you into buying high mileage oil because your odometer says so.

Mendel Leisk likes this.