1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

is my 12V battery effecting my MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Peteab, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Peteab

Peteab New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi I've had my 2005 Prius for around a week now and I'm averaging 52mpg (UK gallon).

I followed instructions on this forum for checking the 12V battery and found that it was a volt or so under the recommended. would this have much effect on my mpg? as far as i can tell the battery has never been changed since new.

any advice is much appreciated!

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    52mpg is not bad for a new owner but a poor 12v battery will affect mpg, do not buy a new battery from the dealers as the correct fit batteries are readily available from motor shops at much better prices about £45- £50.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As long as you haven't recently attempted charging, the battery voltage for a healthy battery should be around 12.6 volt or higher. If you have charged it, just drive it for a bit, with the headlights on too, before checking voltage. A volt or two low (assume you're checking with a digital volt meter) is significant:

4 or 5 years is a good run for a battery. If you're on the orig. battery you've been lucky. It will leave you stranded soon: get it changed.

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you talking Imperial gal.? The battery should read about 12.6 after sitting over night. Hal

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You folks in the UK are lucky, I hear that you can get the Optima D51 battery with Japanese terminals there.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There are many ways a 12 volt battery may fail. One of those ways really pulls down the fuel mileage. (single dead cell) Other ways to have an old battery fail may not effect MPG.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What exactly were the voltage readings you got?