1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my 2010 Prius worth fixing?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cmumford, Dec 13, 2022.

1. cmumford

cmumford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've got a 2010 Gen 3 with about 180K miles. It's been knocking at startup and a coolant pressure test confirms that it needs a new head gasket. I've had quotes in the ballpark of $4K for that job, but my mechanic wants $7K to do that, and a few other things. Also, the engine is burning oil, and as a separate issue I am considering putting a new lower engine block (not a rebuilt engine) which comes new from Toyota for $4K. So, I'm looking at $11K for everything.

What do you experts think?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can find a gen 4 engine, that would be the way to go.

is it worth it? look around at car prices and availability, and compare to repair of yours.

keep in mind, you might need a battery and/or brake actuator down the road.

shop around too. 7k seems high. i know hybrid pit does engine replacement

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm seeing just over three grand CDN; see what it shows for you in USD:

https://parts.brantfordtoyota.ca/oem-parts/toyota-cylinder-block-1141039245?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz1lbmdpbmUmbD02MiZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPXRveW90YSZvPXByaXVzJnk9MjAxMCZ0PWJhc2UmZT0xLThsLWw0LWVsZWN0cmljLWdhcw%3D%3D

Same website, directly id'd, and maybe in USD, for $2268:

1141039245 - Block sub-assembly, cylinder. Engine - Genuine Toyota Part

And clicking on the first direct dealership link, down to $1844, again USD if I'm not mistaken:

https://parts.foothillstoyota.com/p/Toyota__/BLOCK-SUB-ASSEMBLY---CYLINDER/69085150/1141039245.html?referer=parts.toyota.com&machineIDT1=25l41s5n4s41jr0g1hi1hibf

If you can possibly DIY the head gasket, the full gasket kit from Toyota retails around $250 USD and replacement head bolt set (just better safe than sorry) is $100~200. Info on the gasket kit:

Complete Head Gasket Kit from Toyota | PriusChat

#3 Mendel Leisk, Dec 13, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  4. cmumford

cmumford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Thx for the info Mendel. Unfortunately I'm out of state, so can't DIY it. The mechanic said that a head gasket is about 30 hours of labor, which accounts for the cost. Everything's more expensive in California, so that's part of why the price is so high.

What I'm really trying to decide on is how much life this car has left. I'm thinking the traction battery, transmission, etc.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Get in touch with some shops down in South Central you know the ones. The Puerto Ricans in the Mexicans yep they can hook you up.

6. Burningoil

Burningoil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you loosing any coolant? Where are you in California?

7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cost for parts and repairs are similar throughout the U.S. I would try to find a source close to you for a new engine and have it installed. Less cost (hours) on labor.

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Withdraw $65,000 cash and buy a Tesla EV due to fluctuationing gas prices, says a priuschat user.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When you find the metric measurement for that, let me know. I need to know when to dump leak stop in mine and give the keys to carmax.

10. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nothing against fully electric cars. And I actually like them very much and one day I see myself getting one of those (once the prices get to the level I can handle).

But ditching out $65k to buy an electric car isn't smart in my opinion even if gas prices hitting $5-6 per gallon. Of course, unless you just love to drive electric cars no matter how much they cost.
    By buying a fully electric car at those elevated prices, you are actually pre-paying for gas that will keep you going for years.

If I had $65k that must go to a new car at the moment, I would go buy a new Gen4 for the half of that money. And the other half would buy me enough gas probably for the rest of my life.

But you can buy a brandnew Tesla for $65k. That's your money :)

jolana likes this.
  11. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh BTW, not trying to get off topic. I read the OP's question and spending that much money on a 2010 Prius @ 180k miles is not smart in my opinion. To be honest, I think that car could be put back on the road and wouldn't require over $10k.
    If it was my car (I have a similar one), I would try to replace the head gasket (also resurfacing the head as well) and see if that would help. If not, then I would try to drop in a used engine. The cost should be lot less than $10k.
    If you are saying that's the price over there and you can't get the service for less than that, then I would say sell the car, add the repair budget to it and get another used one. You should be able to buy a reliable used one for that money.

12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was echoing bill Norton’s answer from other posts.

13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    11K for repairs?

Saving gas cost a lot of money.

14. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Lots of people miss obvious humor. And some are foolish if they listen to a mechanic who says a head gasket costs $7k. You can get a proper rebuilt engine with new pistons and rings, the smoking gun, for less than $7k and still have enough left for a new Toyota hv battery. With the change go to Maaco and you are set to 2030.

Prius gen3 hybrid pit rebuild ebay.jpg

15. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If it was a joke, I feel much better now. I didn't know who you quoted from. But I think I should have thought that it was a joke. Who would have suggested to buy a $65k electric car on Prius forum? :cool:
    Sometimes, I miss the jokes I guess even though I use them a lot myself.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Using emoticons can help.

Foxglove likes this.
  17. jolana

jolana New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wouldn't buy a Tesla with Bill Gates' money.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don't get me started about Bill. I apparently can't set shortcut keys on my windows 10 system anymore, not an administrator. And yeah, I've logged in as the fabled administrator, done the deed, but everything else is out-to-lunch. Log back in as merely Mendel, screwed again...

bisco likes this.
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've heard a story like that lately. Didn't the answer end up being that if you log in as Administrator, you can set shortcut keys, but you're setting them for Administrator. Log in as Mendel and use Run as Administrator, and now you're setting Mendel's keys.

Mendel Leisk and Foxglove like this.