1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my brake wear unusual?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by southjerseycraig, Apr 3, 2015.

1. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have 65,000 miles on my 2010 Prius II. Today I went in to Toyota for the tire rotation service, and was told there are 5mm on my front brake pads. The service advisor thought I'd need new front pads in "a service or two," which I think means 10,000 miles. Is my wear greater than usual? I have the impression that many of you go over 100K without needing any kind of brake job. Is the service advisor right that it won't be long before I need front brake pads.

BTW, the car has been excellent. The only thing I've had to do is to replace cabin filters and get new tires.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes. most have trouble with the rears on the 2010.

3. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If I'm not mistaken, they start out at 10mm when new. If they're still at 5mm, I'd expect you could make it to 100k before they get down to the "replace now" level, which I think is maybe 2mm?

The dealer is probably assuming a wear rate as if you didn't have a Prius. For example, that you'd already be on your second set of brakes.

4. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm at 60K right now. I still have 8mm on my front and 9mm on my back. I brake early so I rarely use mechanical brakes.

5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I believe the replacement thickness is 1mm.

6. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks, Bisco, but I do not understand your reply. My post referred to the front, not the rear, brake pads. My rear brake pads are at "6mm or more."

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just saying that most do get 100,000+ out of the front pads, and you probably will too. the rear pads don't wear as fast, but just for an fyi, your dealer should be inspecting the caliper action and servicing/lubricating as necessary. this is where most gen IIII brakes run into trouble, not pad wear.

southjerseycraig likes this.