1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is My Cat Sick? Help Needed.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by wchardin, May 25, 2008.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Those are beautiful cats!

2. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Glad to hear that so far they did not find anything wrong with him. You know, cats are funny sometimes, maybe he just got into a rut with his food and he no longer likes it.. Just being finicky,, like cats can be sometimes.

We have a 5yr old Dom Shorthair that we got from the shelter when he was just a kitten. Smokey is a pig and will eat anything anytime,, however, he became very picky for a while, and I did not notice but he had almost stopped eating his food. We have one of those gallon containers that you just fill up and the food comes out the hole in the bottom. Well, I noticed for a while that the food did not seem to be going down and just thought that my husband and 10yr old had been also feeding him and adding to his container..

A few weeks went by and I noticed one day how very skinny he had gotten and I actually could feel his spine. I kinda freaked out and soon realized that he was barely eating. I learned that my husband and 10yr old had NOT been adding to his food container..

Long story short, he just got sick of eating the very expensive food I was giving him, got sick of it, and once I changed his food he was back to his normal self. Now he is back to his old self..

I had no idea he had become so picky as he liked the new food I was giving him and he had been eating it for months without complaint..

So, maybe he is just going through a picky phase with his food.. I would hope that is all if the rest of the tests come out fine..

3. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Nope probably not, he has been in and out all his life, I think he would go crazy if he had to say inside all day and night.

He might have, he used to "hunt" shrews, but hasn't done that in a long time and never ate them.

Yeah, thats how I feel about it too.

They are some nice looking cats.

4. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Success! About 30 minutes ago, TJ ate some dry food. I cleaned out his bowl and put new from the bag, it must have had the fresh smell and he must have liked it. He seems to be acting his old self, I'm so relieved. Here is his picture, thought you all would like to put a picture with the cat.

Attached Files:

5. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nice looking cat. Was the picture taken after he ate? (He looks like he was savoring his meal.:))

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You are so lucky Nina can't resolve 2-D images!

7. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah, he does look pretty content.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Such a cute kitty!!!

I'm going to offer an optimistic possibility: Kitty might have had a cat version of the flu. Felt lousy for a week, no appetite, etc., and then gotten better. Most infectious illnesses get better all by themselves. Being an outdoor cat, he's no doubt exposed to whatever bugs are making the rounds among the local cats. He caught something, was sick for a while, and now he's better. If it was a virus, he's now immune to getting the same one again. If it was a bacteria it may have run its course through the neighborhood and with luck won't be back.

In any case, I'm glad he's well.

9. canesfan

canesfan Culture shocked...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awwwww, sweet kitty!

10. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks, maybe he should be a cat model... just kidding.