1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my engine falling off? Help..

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by anonymous_d, Jan 8, 2017.

1. anonymous_d

anonymous_d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My car's been making intermittent noises (like gargling) when accelerating. I let it sit for a few days and last night, all of sudden, i start it and get this sound. Any idea what this is and what itll take to resolve?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's an ongoing problem of bad shaking/rattling during cold starts. Often if the day before you happened to start up and shut down right away. There was a service bulletin, I think some people got replacement intake manifolds mod'd in some manner. Maybe didn't improve things though?

Try to avoid the above scenario, always let the engine warm up, never shut down a few seconds after cold start, and see how it goes.

That's hands-down the funniest thread title I've seen here, btw. :)

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is weird.
    When I had the "misfire and shake on start-up" occur after just starting the car to move it into the driveway the night before, the engine shook rather noticeably. I watched the video twice and did not see the engine noticeably shaking. Furthermore, the sound is not quite the same as what my engine sounded like when misfiring--your engine sounds like something is slapping while mine sounded more like a light banging or rattling. So I am puzzled.
    Do you have an automobile mechanics stethoscope ? It is a doctor's stethoscope with a long metal rod replacing the usual small cone that the doctor puts on your chest to listen for sounds. Use that metal rod to poke firmly onto various metal bits on the ICE and any surrounding gizmos like air pumps, hydraulic pumps, or whatever. The sound should become louder as you get closer to where it if coming from, and become piercingly loud when you actually probe the piece causing the noise . Knowing which physical piece is the main source of the noise while help us figure out what in the world is causing that particular sound.
    Good luck!

Mendel Leisk likes this.