1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my engine toast?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wrekless, Aug 1, 2017.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO, unfortunately if that is the case, I wouldn't even bother with the head gasket replacement. That would be like throwing an Elmo Bandage on a amputation worthy wound.

I think unfortunately you are at "major decision" point.

This all comes down to budget, desire, etc, etc....

If the vehicle seems to be in descent shape in all other regards, I wouldn't necessarily abandon the idea of engine replacement.
    Chronologically, it's only approaching 6 model years old, which in my mind is still relatively new.
    The high miles are more a symptom of being a fleet vehicle for most of it's life.
    A new engine, could hit the reset button and offer quite a bit more life.

On the other hand, since you are averaging putting 50K a year on the vehicle yourself?

Maybe it's time to get something newer, to start with.

Sorry, not much help.-tough decision.
    Sometimes I'm glad it's a decision I don't have to make.

pilotgrrl and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. Wrekless

Wrekless Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think I will pull the head just to see if I can figure out what went wrong. I guess I could try to rebuild it and let it be a spare for the next time I blow one :)

My wife is in the replace the engine camp, so I've been shopping. LKQ has some, as well as that place Dan linked. Seems like engines under 50k miles go for a good bit more than $1500 so I haven't picked one out yet. I would love to buy a new one but new cars are very pricey. Even with a new engine and eventually battery, transaxle, etc I only started at $8k for the car. So I could do a lot of repairs and still be ahead of the game. This one just hit at a bad time. I really want to find a ct200h for commuting but cannot do that yet.

Dan, could you bore it out then sleeve it?

I'm not doing anything tonight, but last night I cleaned out the garage. Moved the Prius in. Pulled the 12v to put on a minder, and disconnected the HV battery. I'm going to see if it looks possible to pull it out the top instead of dropping everything out the bottom.
    IMG_20170803_201537009[1].jpg

3. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While the head is off, get a spring compressor, remove the valves, lap the valves, Clean head, use a bech grinder with a stainless steel wire wheel to clean the valves. Make sure a hydraulic lifters have movement, soak them in pb blast and use a channel lock wrench to compress them while they are soaked. When reinstalling install new valve seals, do not mix up the order of the intake and exhaust valves, stab the in cardboard and keep track of everything. your main bearing and rod bearings are probably fine.

Valve spring compressor
    Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 9.59.05 PM.png
    Valve cleaning and lapping valves, use lapping compound. I highly recommend you do this so you have a perfect seal.

This guy is a little crazy but the method works. You can do the heads and the block. make sure you do get any metal shavings in the coolant passages or pistons/rings. use a lot damp oil rags and tape everything off. The heads can just be hosed down afterwards to get rid of the aluminum.

4. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have called many engine parts manufacturers and have not been able to find any after market pistons for this engine. You will not be able to bore it out. You are stuck with standard (std) for now. I know they make .50 mm and up in the 1.8l corolla, but the piston head is shaped differently and could have clearance, compression issues using this piston if you were to bore it out. custom pistons can be made by jepistons but it will cost more that used motor.
    2zrfxe piston 2010 prius 13.0:1
    Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 1.45.06 AM.png
    2zrfe 2011 corolla compression ratio 10.4:1
    Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 1.55.31 AM.png

corolla piston looks more dished out for less compression

5. Wrekless

Wrekless Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  6. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That would appear to be a Gen 4 engine, no?..

I don't see anything denoting Prius v.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    +1.

Buyer beware:whistle:.

Look for a 2010-2015 1.8L engine to be sure(y).

m.wynn likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would just hook up any sort of battery charger at the jump start point, under the hood. That said, if you wanted to remove the 12 volt battery anyway, say to clean the connections, that's another story. Also, no need to disconnect that HV battery switch.

9. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Find different mechanic...A backyard guy (which is always risky) shouldn't charge much more than $500.

My mechanic would do it for $400...

And for $1000 in labor a lot of independent shops will do it.

My mechanic swapped a 6.6L duramax diesel for $1000 which is one of the harder motor swaps out there so your quote of $2.5k for one of the easiest motor swaps out there is way too high.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  10. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Entire job should be no more than $2200 for parts and labor....This assumes you find for $1500 a less-than-100k motor and less than $700 for labor.....On car-part.com it shows a difference between prius C, normal prius, plug-in, and prius V....all different motors...You need to get a Prius V motor.

You can go to Craigslist Automotive section and start calling around....or you can go to the "Gigs" section and put it under labor....and you'd be surprised how many people will respond for swapping the motor for X amount of dollars ($400? $500?)....If you use a new mechanic that is a total stranger the #1 advice is make sure you tell them up front you pay when job is done...A lot of them are shady and will try to get $200 up front and then disappear.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the motors but a prius C engine can be found for $250 to $500!

pilotgrrl likes this.
  11. Wrekless

Wrekless Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    wow. gen4. I guess my car isn't the only thing not firing on all cylinders.

congratulations-idiot.gif

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good comeback! If you can see my Joe Ben quote (not viewing on a phone), that's one I use a lot.

13. Wrekless

Wrekless Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    They are still 2ZR FXE engines in the gen4, but I know they are supposed to be reworked. LKQ and EBAY both showed them as a fit for my car. I wonder what the 2012 v ECU would do with a new one. If I didn't need the car I would try it anyway and see what it would do.

LKQ has a 70k one that was running before they took it out for $1300. I might pick that one up if they are ok with cancelling my order. Man a 2year old 4k mile engine would have been nice.

14. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  15. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pretty sure Toyotas pre-Obama have been known to burn oil. Check out the Camrys and Corollas from the mid 2000s that have oil control ring problems. Also if I'm not mistaken, the Obama CAFE standards you speak of were implemented in 2012. Pretty sure the engine design of the third gen Prius was done well well WELL before 2012.

Without knowing the OP's exact service history of the engine, you can't make a blanket statement and blame Obama. That's just dumb.

If you ask me, the standards aren't strict enough. We should be a modern progressive society and look to BAN gasoline powered cars altogether in the next 10-20 years.

16. PandaBear

PandaBear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure how different Prius engine is vs another DOHC Honda engine. I was charged $1200 for a head gasket / warp head work on my Integra parts and labor. A used engine with around 150k miles for my Honda would be around $1500 parts and labor but we have to wait till we find a lowish mile good condition one before someone will risk installing it. For a Prius regular / V $2000 for a low mile engine pulled from a totaled Prius would be about right.

$6k is a rip off, even if it is a new engine or a complete rebuild. Seriously, this is not a track car with forced induction, a pulled junkyard engine is sufficient.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How recently was that? Or maybe the Toyota engine is inherently tougher??

18. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can find them all day long for $1000-$1500.

Here's one rebuilt with new parts for $1100

and another used one for $1350. Rent a uhaul pickup and toss it in a back and take it to your local mechanic. install should be about $1,000.

I know you're not in LA, but just examples you can probably do the same for big cities near you.

TOYOTA PRIUS ENGINE - auto parts - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

Toyota Prius engine - auto parts - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

Here's a wrecked prius in Charlotte NC (I don't know where you live) but you can call and get a idea. 2010 TOYOTA PRIUS (2010-2015) for PARTS (PARTING OUT) USED CAR PARTS - auto parts - by dealer - vehicle automotive car truck sale

19. Wrekless

Wrekless Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't seen any locally. From what I've been seeing $1300-1500 plus $200 shipping from LKQ seems like the best deal. And if it doesn't run they are pretty good about taking stuff back. They were easy to work with to get the gen4 cancelled and refund the money.

I got side tracked this weekend. I had to put a new pitman arm and steering stabilizer on a rusty old farm truck. I also picked up a thousand dollar car off Craigstlist to get me back and forth to work while the Prius is down.

I did start back on it today though. I got it jacked up and started draining the fluids after removing that overly fastened plastic underguard. I also removed the hood and wiper tray. It looks like the engine is angled back towards the windshield. If I can make enough room between the engine and radiator I should be able to pull it straight up and out. That large sheet of glass suspending out over the engine bay is terrifying though.

IMG_20170808_184957208[1].jpg

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    danlatu (in a liftback though, not a v) seemed able to get the engine lifted out without even removing the hood. (I don't think it would even have occurred to me to try!)

-Chap