1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my engine toast?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wrekless, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Wrekless

Wrekless Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Now for a game of name that part. I was walking by the prius and heard something drop. It landed dead center under the engine. Its maybe 1" diameter and 2" long. Looks like a plastic spacer or bushing, but feels like cheap plastic. Possibly not from the prius but I've never seen it before. And is is symmetrical, it has the same male nipple on the other end. Any thoughts?

IMG_20170823_201133155.jpg

IMG_20170823_201117330.jpg

2. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fuel rail spacer. x2

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 10.17.14 PM.png

Robert Holt, bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Wrekless

Wrekless Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I apologize for the potato pictures. It was hot and humid out, and I was solo. I was supposed to video taking the engine out.

That said, I had some issue getting the engine mount on the left side off. Some of those bolts are just hard to reach. I also had to persuade the engine to let go of the transaxle. Once those two hurdles were overcome, I had twice the room I needed to get the engine out. I probably could have left a lot of stuff connected.

IMG_20170823_201102933.jpg

IMG_20170823_201240696.jpg
    IMG_20170823_201922674.jpg

4. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Manifold off would give you more room with less windshield anxiety. Good job!

pilotgrrl likes this.
  5. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  6. Wrekless

Wrekless Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    the manifold was disconnected from the engine. I took it off the exhaust though because i'm putting the newer lower mileage one that came with the engine back in.

I was cleaning the EGR valve and learned most people don't take the actual actuator apart. It has a magnet screw and spring in side. I've seen others apart but no specs on how far in it should be to put it back together. Might have to adjust it some after everything is back together.

I cleaned the new egr cooler and pipe. I could see light through it when I started, but still had a ton of build-up come out of it. I is really clea now though.

Hopefully today I can start working on moving the flywheel over. The procedure is SST after SST, but it looks pretty doable without the special tools.

7. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Love the pictures! This is better than the repair manuals - you get color

Pixel XL ?

pilotgrrl and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. Wrekless

Wrekless Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I need to play some catch up today and tomorrow. Last weekend I had to move the flywheel over. So the manual states you need all sorts of special tools. The reason for this is you are trying to remove a wheel that wants to spin the more torque you apply. There is an outer cover that just has some bolts around the edge. I put a bar between the engine and flywheel to keep it from spinning. Those removed fairly easily.

After that there are 8 bolts on the flywheel, tightly packed, and very tight. It was a balancing act of keeping the bar between the engine and flywheel to keep it from turning. But you don't want to apply too much pressure there and warp or bend something. The manual calls for locking down the pulley on the front of the engine. I had to put enough pressure on the bolts the whole engine was lifting off the ground. I put a 12 year old on top of the engine to solve that problem.

Then I had to put it on the 'new' engine. The problem is the engine attaches to the stand on the side the flywheel is on. So I put the engine back on the hoist. I cleaned the bolts and boltholes out with a brass brush. They were lock-tited and needed to be redone. So I put locktite on and put the 8 bolts in.

The manual calls for 36?ish lb-ft of pressure on each one, done in a specific order. That was easy. Then you mark a line on each bolt and turn it another 90 degrees. I'm not sure how many hundreds of lbs of force that took, but I am fairly strong and I was swinging the crane and hanging engine all over the place. Even with a 12yo hanging on it. Some might only be 85 degrees turned, but I don't think its going anywhere. With the flywheel on, I could barely get it back on the engine stand. I think my standoffs are too short.

Now I swear I had taken a bunch of pictures of this, but can't find any. I'm sorry. Here is one all done, which does nobody any good. :)

IMG_20170826_164124360.jpg

M K, pilotgrrl, Robert Holt and 7 others like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You really should score a torque wrench or three.

10. Wrekless

Wrekless Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have a nice torque wrench but it only goes up to 200 ft lbs. The 90 degree turns were specified by the manual. I had to go more than the 200 ft lb click on my wrench and switch to the breaker bar.

flywheel.jpg

pilotgrrl, danlatu and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah ok, sorry.

12. Wrekless

Wrekless Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Earlier this week I got some goodies. The amazon guy brought me plugs and a can:

IMG_20170829_211928828.jpg

I also stopped by the stealership for some fluids and such. I got the coolant (which is apparently liquid gold based on the price), ATF fluid, new aluminum crush rings, and a new PCV valve since it was only $6. The PCV also came pre-doped. Which is nice but means I had a lot of gunk to clear out of the threads form the old one.

IMG_20170829_203314288.jpg
    IMG_20170829_203340335.jpg IMG_20170829_203710153.jpg

13. Wrekless

Wrekless Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I decided that it would probably be easier to refill the transaxle with the engine out.

IMG_20170829_203724344 (450x800).jpg

Changing out the transaxle fluid the easy way!!!

IMG_20170829_205853464 (1024x576).jpg

Of course me being in the engine bay is a little bit of Fat Man in Little Coat from Tommy Boy. So I got the the point that, yep, it is obviously full:

IMG_20170829_210150547 (576x1024).jpg

I did let it drain for awhile to make sure it leveled back out. I usually use a bottle extender hose that has adapters for wide mouth and narrow mouth automotive fluids, but leave it to toyota to use a non-standard size. Glad I did this while the engine was out and the funnel fit.

pilotgrrl, Robert Holt and m.wynn like this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To the best of my knowledge, whenever a manufacturer specifies that kind of tightening procedure (specific torque followed by a specific angle), they will also specify that the bolts aren't reusable (they already got torqued to their yield point the first time), and require use of new ones. If you were looking in the Toyota repair manual, were the bolts not shown with the symbol that indicates "non-reusable part"?

Even though after all the effort you put into tightening them, you probably don't think they're "going anywhere" by working loose, the more relevant concern might be where they go if they break.

You might have time to pick up some nice new ones from Toyota before dropping the thing back in the car....

-Chap

15. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A long breaker bar is needed to do the 90-180 degree turn after the initial torquing. No specific torque number is being looked for just a really tight bolt/clamped force! Bolts can be reused or not! Cleaned up really good and back they go.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @Tbkilb01, the advice you've just given could be very expensive to anyone rebuilding something that uses torque-to-yield bolts.

Usually the two giveaways that TtY bolts have been used will be (1) a tightening specification that starts with a certain torque and ends with a turning angle, and (2) the little symbol in the repair manual assembly diagram that marks them as "non-reusable part".

If you check the repair manual (the real one, from Toyota) and that symbol isn't there, then sure, go ahead and reuse them.

-Chap

17. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I reused all the bolts during my rebuild except for the head bolts on the head gasket. I used loctite and torqued the flywheel bolts to spec. I have reused all my flywheel bolts in the past with no ill affect. I have even warped and cracked a flywheel, Bolts were fine. If I had worked at a dealer doing these repairs, the computer prints out a list of what parts/time you need for the repair. If you are fast, you make money. I have seen guys in shops put head gasket bolts on with an impact gun and reuse parts because they don't have time to wait for parts to come in. They just want the car off the lift and move on. I hate going to the dealer/private shop because you have no idea what they are doing to your car. I know there are good and bad mechanics.

#97 danlatu, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Tbkilb01 likes this.
  18. Wrekless

Wrekless Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The manual didn't specify new bolts for the flywheel. They were pretty stout little bolts. That being said it will be interesting to see if this thing works or explodes when I get it all put back together.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, good. I didn't look it up for Gen 3 because I haven't fed the techinfo meter this weekend, but I did go check my old Gen 1 (different engine) paper edition and saw that it didn't show the bolts with the diamond "non-reusable" symbol, and they also had the torque-plus-angle tightening instructions.

I can't say that's completely conclusive because there's a funny error in the 2001 paper manual: it doesn't actually have the illustration for tightening the flywheel bolts. Where it's supposed to be, there's a duplicate of the illustration for tightening the pressure plate bolts. :)

That's exactly how I felt as a teenager putting my first engine back together. Some part of my brain was really convinced there was magic in there and I must have let it all out. That part was really shocked when it started up and ran.

(It seemed vindicated for a while at first, though, because that first engine was right where I started my usual pattern of putting the distributor in 180° off and only figuring it out when the engine didn't start. Seems like I used to do that every time. But you can't, on a Prius.)

-Chap

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I get that even for mundane stuff, lol.