1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is My EV Damaged?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Marshmallow, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    so i've had this car for two months now, and i was loving it, until yesterday...

so yesterday i drove for nearly 200 miles, and either up to or over 50% of the drive, i was in EV, and now, it isn't working.

this is my understanding of EV from this past week, or how i'm able to get my car into EV:

- usually when i accelerate at a very slow pace, the battery is powering the wheels. when driving uphill, i can be in EV for up to 25mph, when driving on a flat surface i can be in EV mode for up to 35-40 mph, and when driving downhill, i was able to be in EV mode for up to 45-50mph; this was easier, cause of going downhill.
    - when you're looking at the HV system indicator, i see the area where it says to be in EV, and the area where you're in eco, and the line you pass to enter power. i understand that when accelerating you can't have the blue bar go past the line where it says EV; but sometimes, in certain situations, i've noticed that you can be slightly above that line and still be in EV.

now, this has been happening to me since last night, and this entire day. when i drive my car, when i accelerate slow to be in EV, it doesn't do it. i'm literally accelerating super slow, and driving under 10mph, and the bar is within the range, but for some reason, it will not enter ev! this happened to me when i was driving to the gym, coming back from the gym, and heading out to trader joes.

but i did notice this in the energy monitor screen this afternoon when coming back from trader joes. the energy monitor will show that the battery is powering the wheels (basically EV, right?) but when i go to the HV system indicator, it says that i'm not in EV.

did i break my car? am i not understanding how EV works? is my battery now damaged?

I spoke to the dealership, and they said that it will cost $120 for them to do a diagnostic on it, which i have scheduled for this coming friday. but i'd prefer not to spend that money and know that my car is fine.

i have some photos attached. one of em shows that i've only been in ev for 1% when driving to the gym, whereas a few days ago, i was able to get to the gym with 100% ev! my gym is just 3.5 miles away.

the next photo shows that i'm within the ev range, but it's not in ev for some reason. even when i bring my car to a complete stop and reaccelarate or hit the brakes, it doesn't go into ev at all.

can someone please help me?

i've had this car for two months, my first prius, and i want to love and keep this car for 10 years! i don't want it breaking on me within two damn months! :(

1%.jpg 44mph.jpg

2. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Find another dealer. If the car won't go into the EV mode, it is a warranty issue. No "diagnostic fee" required.

Dragon Rider, RCO and bisco like this.
  3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Marsh, with all due respect, you might be "overthinking" everything. Just put the car in "Eco" mode, or "Normal" mode, and just drive it like a regular car. You can accelerate normally, and still get good gas mileage. (At first, I tried to maximize the time in "EV", and it just depleted the battery faster. Then the gas engine had to come on more often.)

Let the Prius motor/engine do their work, together. And those info screens can be distracting. TMI :LOL:. I think it happens to all new Prius owners, myself included. I would guess that your car is fine. What I learned, is the gas engine needs to work in a partnership with the hybrid motor... you don't always need to be in "EV." I'm accelerating normally, briskly, smoothly, and my gas mileage actually went up a bit. I'm not concerned with what "percentage" is in EV.

Now I rarely look at all those gauges and screens, and I just drive the car. It is much more relaxing (and less worrisome.) :) I am probably in the minority, but that's how I enjoy my Prius. Everybody's mileage and driving mode will vary.

Dragon Rider, RCO, Montgomery and 4 others like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with cc^^^ you're over reacting. too much concentration on the gauges, what it has done and what you think it should be doing, is not helpful. just drive it. measure your mpg's when you fill the tank, and keep track. don't waste your money at the dealer. as wiliam said above, you're under warranty.

on another note, you shouldn't be trying to drive ev. it kills your mpg's, and is one of the biggest rookie mistakes. all the best!(y)

Dragon Rider, RCO, Montgomery and 3 others like this.
  5. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    62 MPG for 1.6 miles seems good to me. Toyota protects operation on the battery when hot/ect. Several instances I expected EV but didn't get it due to a variety of factors. Go for a decent drive (10+ miles) and see what happens. Maybe get a scangauge or obd2 with torque on a smartphone and see whats going on with the car when driving. I however admit 3.2 miles with 1% EV is really odd for the car. I live in florida and never see this. Also, a second thought, ensure the defroster or heat is NOT running AND turned off. The car will run the engine a good while if these are utilized.

Dragon Rider, RCO and kithmo like this.
  6. aurelio

aurelio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check in your configuration menu. There is an option to disable the ev indicator. Let us know if it helps.

Nexus 10 ?

And drive in normal mode. It won't hurt your mileage and the car is way more responsive.

Nexus 10 ?

#6 aurelio, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2016
    RCO, kithmo and Coast Cruiser like this.
  7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't waste money getting a diagnosis done - I'd be very surprised if it's needed - and I suspect they do to, and just a money making exercise. It's not a fault.

I'm still trying to work out why it sometimes goes into EV, and other times. It seems that is dependent on quite a few factors, which I suspect include:
    • battery level
    • ambient temperature
    • heater & a/c settings
    • throttle
    • speed
    • gradient of a hill
    • if the engine has just started and isn't at operating temperature, it will stay on till at operating temp
    • and probably many other factors that only TOYOTA know about.
    The HV's EV indicator seems to be a bit slower to react than than the energy monitor.

You didn't buy an EV, BUT A HYBRID, as far as I am concerned, the BEST of both worlds.

As others have said, being in EV is of secondary, in fact minor importance. Being a hybrid, the computer works out which of the different modes are most economical using a complex algorithm, and swapping them around continually. At the end of the day, it's the MPG or l/100km which matters. EV proportion is relatively unrelated - I almost never look at it.

Dragon Rider, RCO, kithmo and 2 others like this.
  8. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpg

This is why I am not concerned with the "EV". I drove that entire 101 miles this morning, using the PWR mode. Normal city driving, in light traffic, obeying the speed limit. Normal smooth acceleration. I also had the AC/defrost on just about the whole time, due to fog.

83 MPG. That's the best I've ever done. And I'll probably never do it again! :ROFLMAO: But my point is, I'm learning that I can drive the Prius pretty much like a regular car, and still get very good gas mileage. (But of course, everyone's mileage will vary.) I'm happy if I *only* get 60 MPG. That's usually my average.

Just drive your car and have fun. :) No need to "analyze" it. Just my humble "rookie" opinion.

Dragon Rider, RCO, Montgomery and 2 others like this.
  9. apt49

apt49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That 0% EV.photo points there is something abnormal with your brand new car. If I were on your feet:
    1> I would have contacted directly with Toyota US. I would have DM Toyota via twitter (I believe they reply faster and any of tweets and replies would be always on twitter wall) and have showed Toyota that 30 mpg and 0% EV photo.

2> I would have asked Toyota, if it is unjustifiable behaviour for a dealership to demand 120$ for a diagnostic on a brand new car, which is also Toyota's "sacred cow", while I had already shown dealer that photo.
    2.a> If the answer was affirmative then, I would have tried to persuade Toyota that my case would have been a great opportunity for Toyota to send a " public message" to "partners" who harm Toyota reputation.

2,a,I> If Toyota agreed and would like to provide me some legal advice and pay trial costs against the dealership, I would have paid the 120$ and start "the crucifixion" along with Toyota.
    2.a.II> Otherwise I would DEFINITELY not pay that amount and seek another dealership. But also I would have questioned Toyota to analyse me their lack of interest, or even their passive stance on the matter.

2.b> Otherwise I would have asked a lawyer about his opinion on the matter.

I believe members here would like to get informed about how you case evolves.

PS. You don't have to worry. Such stuff happens.

10. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The elapsed time in that picture is only 10 minutes??

Sometimes my EV ratio is very low too. But my car runs fine. I would be very surprised if something is wrong with marshmallow's car.

It may be just operator error, which a lot of those rookies I have.:D

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First, it's important to keep the "JUST DRIVE IT" motto mind whenever you are behind the wheel.

Literally thousands of new Prius owners make the very same assumption, that more EV is better. It's not, hence the motto.

They try to squeeze out as much as possible, not realizing the penalty that comes later from having to replenish the consumed electricity. That can actually result in lower overall MPG. That's not the outcome they hope for, but at least no damage comes from it. The system is simply compensating from you fighting the hybrid system. Instead, just drive it.

If something was truly wrong, you'd find out after a tank or two of gas. For example, the engine never shuts off, even when stopped waiting for a light to turn green. Poor MPG would indicate that. Simply not seeing much EV means the electricity being generated is used for HV instead. Great MPG would indicate that.

Enjoy your new Prius. No worries.

12. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect TOYOTA wouldn't consider action on the basis of 2 runs of 3.2 miles and 1.6 miles. Particularly when one has 62.6 MPG!!

Maybe if this is a pattern for a week, but not just 2 trips on one day.

This is a HYBRID - and it works on using one petrol and 2 electric motors and a smallish battery to store some of the regenerated energy for use at other times. Whether it's in EV mode is irrelevant to MPG, which is the

I also notice that both the photos showed quite hot weather - had the car been in the sun or in the shade. If it had been in the sun, the A/C would be working quite hard to cool the car down - (even in the shade too).

What was your battery level before each of the photos?

RCO and Coast Cruiser like this.
  13. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    My 16 won't go into ev unless it's properly warmed up. Sometimes that gas motor just has to run for a little bit before it will operate normally. On hot days it doesn't need to warm up and just does ev all the time.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  14. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three

15. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't type this morning.

Operator errors. Rookie mistakes, I did a lot of those. People think I'm nuts, but when I started driving my Prius more like a regular car, is when it seemed to run smoother and my gas mileage improved. I no longer even look at the screen that shows "EV ratio", time elapsed, average speed, etc. I drive a little PRIUS, not a Nascar race car! :LOL: I don't need to know all the fancy technical details.

The only thing I look at now is the gas gauge, and Trip-A distance/mpg. Pretty boring, huh? (Once a Camry driver, always a Camry driver.)

Dragon Rider, RCO and Montgomery like this.
  16. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Also my daily MPG average is about 54 no matter what I do so you're doing great! I might have to try that top tier.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

17. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I must admit, I used to use the EV button on the Gen 3 and Prius+ occasionally to force EV, for example to move the car on or off the driveway etc. but there's no need to with the Gen 4, it stays in EV by itself on these occasions, unless the temperature outside is very cold and even when there's only 2 bars on the HV battery sometimes. The only time I use the EV button now is when I'm sitting in the car on the driveway, in cold weather and going nowhere. just to make sure it doesn't fire up. Of course it will still fire up if the battery falls below 2 bars anyhow. When driving the Gen 4, I just let it do it's EV thing as and when it pleases.

RCO, Kramah313 and Coast Cruiser like this.
  18. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Very well said. :)

I've only pressed the EV button one time. Driving slowly around the nature center. It ate up all my "electricity" pretty quickly. :ROFLMAO: I don't use it anymore, I like to have lots of "battery bars" showing... it makes me go Zoom!

Dragon Rider, RCO and kithmo like this.
  19. grape808

grape808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've used it just to see what happens but my intent once I'm done playing with everything is to just drive.

I have noticed that I can get the EV indicator on by switching via Drive Mode but if the battery isn't ready, pressing the EV button will say EV mode not available, even when allowing me to turn on the EV indicator via Drive Mode.

I have also switched it on when entering my work garage, and it took me out of EV mode while I was coasting down the long hill into the garage when I hit over 25 mph, even though the battery was taking in energy.

All of this makes me think in future models they will hide a lot of this stuff, because the system can get the most efficiency without the user trying to manipulate factors we don't really understand.

RCO, Coast Cruiser and alanclarkeau like this.
  20. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have noticed that there are times that I am not able to get the mileage that I expect. I cannot for the life of me figure out why that happens. But, those times are few, far between, and always short in duration. I am OK with them because I know that my car knows better than me how to maximize mileage. I am just a bit player in the big game.

RCO likes this.