1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my hybrid battery going? What should I do next?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mikemcmo, Apr 25, 2019.

1. mikemcmo

mikemcmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife has a 2005 Prius with 175,000 miles on it. It has been a great car for her. Three weeks ago the engine light went on when the muffler sprung a leak, and the light indicated the catalytic converter but I was hoping it was confused by the muffler leak. I replaced the muffler and the engine light came on a week later. Went to O'Reilly's to have the codes read and the catalytic converter came up again, and another code indicated part of the hybrid battery wasn't taking a charge. The car is still getting 50mpg, running great. Took the car to a new shop to ask about the codes and they had a badass code reader that looked like an iPad and had a lot more details: they said 2 banks of batteries are dying.

We could keep the car or move along. My wife works hard and can treat herself to something newer than 14 years old. The car is due for an emissions test before August 1st, and I wouldn't want to stick someone about to buy the car with a nasty repair to make right away, so I will do something about the catalytic converter. But there's another option: In a week, a Dutch nephew is flying over to live out a dream of driving the entirety of Route 66 from Chicago to LA. Gonna get his kicks. His plan is to buy a $3,000 car, drive it, and sell it in LA and fly home. It occurs to me: I could give him the Prius to drive, he does his big trip to LA, and then he donates the car to a non-profit for the tax deduction.

My 8 part question: What can I expect to happen with the battery? I guess the problem is enough to send a code, but not enough to light up the very scary exclamation-mark-in-the-triangle warning light. Will this problem develop slowly and not be a factor for him? Will the battery not take a charge and overheat and catch fire? Or, since he'll mostly be doing highway miles, would that not be a worry? Would he make it from Chicago to LA?

If he doesn't take the car, what can I expect will happen with the battery (with mixed city/highway driving, 15K/year)?

THANK YOU!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the battery generally dies slowly, but no one can predict a trip like that.

at some point you're gonna get the triangle, at some point the mpg's will decrease, at some point the engine won't start.

it is totally unpredictable, but probably not a good idea to send someone unfamiliar off on a long trip in it.

SFO likes this.
  3. HerbMPG

HerbMPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was undecided about my 2006 last year when it looked like the hybrid battery was going. Being a DIYer and having a backup car, I refurbished the hybrid battery. it took me 2-3 weeks of 3-6 hours per day discharging and recharging every battery 3 times. But I spent only a couple hundred dollars - all of the batteries were good enough to keep. I would say it's a coin toss. However, if you're handy with tools and electronics and don't have the money for a newer car or even a new battery, it can be worth doing it yourself. Regarding the other problems you're having - perhaps add that in to your decision.

bisco likes this.
  4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you do any of the repairs yourself? What if he just took the car and drove the car until it died? What’s the difference if you buy a 3000 dollar car in Chicago or Tempe AZ? Plus you can donate a car pretty much anywhere along the way, and that’s only if it doesn’t make it.

#4 Skibob, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  5. mikemcmo

mikemcmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like my nephew will be buying a Honda something or other to drive cross country. We'll see!

bisco likes this.
  6. Krisstroll

Krisstroll New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry if i am in the wrong discussion

hello everybody , I m new on the forum, back in Europe (France) , and not much of people who knows something about working on a prius here, i am trying to solve a pbm :

prius 2 ; august 2006 ; 192000 KM , used when bought , Tranny maintenance ? 12 V battery fully charged every time i try to start but used

i had a HT battery failure, bill from toyota that i refused (2500 €), i change my self the 2 faulty elements (thanks you tube) and put back everything : 212 V on testing

when i brought my prius 2 back home the thermic was working D & R but of course electric was not working.

since then , and I checked and rechecked everything, the orange big security plug position (as mentioned by several personns) all the 3 connectors to the ECU, the connector to the Fan , even the polarity of the HT connectors ....

same old song : THE READY MODE DOESN T COME ON, NO D OR R POSITION POSSIBILITY, THE THERMIC DOESN T FIRE UP , I noticed that i don't hear the Clac Clac of relays ans that the 12 V battery is drained after 1 day if stays connected. NO error CODE on ODB device

i desinstalled one of the 2 main relay to try to test it, but i am stucked

any ideas ? any suggestions, HEEEEEELP PLEAAASSSE

thanks

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a plan(y)