1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my hybrid battery toast, or just in need of a charge?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Steve_in_NJ, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Steve_in_NJ

Steve_in_NJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The car starts (readys?). The dash lights up as expected. It's all good until the "check hybrid system" message appears. The engine does not start. My intention is to get rid of it, good or bad.

bisco likes this.
  2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Then leave it along, and sell it. Don't waste your time or money.
    If you had techstream, or the D8, you could do a better diagnoises on it.
    Save the Prolong for your next Prius.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That’s what I did. As soon as the engine started misfiring, and the mechanic just shook his head and gave me the puppy dog eyes, I traded it in

4. Steve_in_NJ

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's no trading it in. This car is one-too-many around here. It's the 3rd car in a two-person household.

OK here's my latest theory:

(It's the only thing keeping me from calling my local charity hauling it away. Surely I would prefer to sell a running car.)

I just put the battery back on the Prolong charger and will let it go through it's 24 hour cycle. I will then take another reading with Dr Prius. If the same cells are truly as out-of-spec as they are now, I am thinking that I will pull those cells (I take it that the bars in the graph represent PAIRS of cells) and replace them with (as many as 12) ebay reconditioned cells at about $25 each. This will be roughly the same cost of the discharger, which may not be able to revive the 6 pairs of too-far-gone cells I have now.

Please remind me - what's the minimum voltage the pack needs to have to avoid check-engine codes and allow the car to run? I will know what the "good" cells are holding in 24 hours. Right now Dr Prius says they are all about 15volts - a month after the Prolong charge. From that I take it that if they were all good, the pack would stand at 210. Not sure if the good ones will all increase after 24 hours; we shall see.

5. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Steve,
    Good luck with all this. I have 4 old Priuses so I need good luck too.

From what I understand the Prolong is not designed to revive a bad battery. It's designed to be used when a battery is still pretty good in order to cycle it deeper than the car does, and thus "prolong" the life of the battery.

And, despite what many claim, these battery cells are not really designed to be "restored". They wear out. There are some very long and detailed posts on here about restoring bad batteries and/or bad cells. You can maybe get some extra months/years/weeks out of old batteries and cells. But only maybe. A quicker and more effective way used by some is to buy a low mileage, and low age, battery from a junk yard from a crashed Prius and use all those cells. eBay salvage modules are a gamble.

Mixing "good" and "bad" modules in the battery results in a "bad" battery. You can limp along with this for a while (ask me how I know) but it can in no way be called a repair.

6. Steve_in_NJ

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for your hard-earned insights on all this. Yes I understand that buying ebay modules is not an ideal answer, but it's "what I am down to" now. I won't / can't invest a lot into bringing this vehicle all the way back to spec. If I can get it running well enough to last "a while" then that'll do.

Here is what Dr. Prius shows me after another 24-hour cycle on the Prolong charger. Please watch at least half of this to get a sense of what Dr Prius thinks...

From what I see here, at a minimum I would need to replace module-pairs 1,2,5 & 6 to bring this battery to some vague semblance of normalcy. But I think maybe I need to understand better how Dr Prius is coming up with this chart. Does it really measure each module individually? Or does it make assumptions based on the overall condition of the pack and present its best guess here?

Any thoughts on this latest scheme? I must confess I am torn between one last try to get it on the road, and calling Kars4Kids and waving it goodbye.

#26 Steve_in_NJ, Sep 18, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
  7. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Steve,
    There are others on here far more familiar than I with the workings of Dr Prius. Hopefully some of those will chime in.

From the posters who have done in depth “successful” work at restoring batteries and modules - ie have got years of life out off bad batteries - I understanding that matching the capacity of modules is important. This can only be done by using various electronics and taking the HV bat apart.
    Since you can have no idea of the eBay modules capacity until you buy them and test them, it adds more uncertainty. Judging modules on their voltage - how modules are sold on eBay - is probably worthless.

You can buy some modules and start the process but the chance of success is not high. Hence the idea of getting a low cycle, low mileage, low age battery from a wreck. The market for these is quite competitive so they aren’t cheap.

Whatever you decide to try it’s probably wise to plan on a lot of work and time. The only quick fix is replacement with a new OEM battery.

As I mentioned I have a few Priuses in limp along state. I charge the 12v bats daily, disconnect them every stop, and charge the HV bat weekly with a grid chargers, which works like the charging part of Prolong. It’s far from ideal but as long as the engine starts I can drive.

I also have a few complete HV bats but haven’t dedicated the time and effort to embarking on getting the cars’ HV bats sorted out. One reason being that these old cars have other faults too, and life is short.

Many characterize changing modules as whack a mole. Unless you dig deep I’m sure that’s what it is.

Good luck

John

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They would read the codes, do a health check on the battery, and likely tell you a new battery is needed. How much is that these days, strill around $2K? Or was that pre-Covic, a lot higher now??

9. JohnPrius3005

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    “good dealership”??

where pray tell can one be found?

bisco and Palmoyas like this.
  10. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    That, my fellow, is your duty. After 7 decades of life if you require advice on that issue, I doubt you will ever find one. No offense intended, but you asked the question.

11. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    $2K?????? To that I would have to agree with a certain Circus personality from years ago: There’s a fool born every minute.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This was pre-COVID, cash and carry through some dealerships. That’s a thing of the past now?

im just curious, hyperbolic response not required.

13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $2200 from the dealership I checked. Then -$220 for veterans discount....
    I saw where the hybrid pit is selling a complete engine for $2200, minus shipping.
    Completely redone.... No bad.

14. Steve_in_NJ

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I threw in the towel and sold the car as-is to a used-car guy. He was aware of its situation and expected to "put a couple thousand into it" to prep to sell. Whether or not that's true, at least it's out of my driveway. The hybrid battery you know about, the 12v battery was shot as well, then there were the multiple dents in the roof from our walnut tree, the scuffs on the bumper, the possibly bad AC system. It was just "one hobby too many". Thanks again for all the advice here. Sorry I don't have a better outcome to report; I was just "over it".

Next comes selling the Prolong charger. It'll be in the for-sale section here shortly.

15. Steve_in_NJ

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I threw in the towel and sold the car as-is to a used-car guy. He was aware of its situation and expected to "put a couple thousand into it" to prep to sell. Whether or not that's true, at least it's out of my driveway. The hybrid battery you know about, the 12v battery was shot as well, then there were the multiple dents in the roof from our walnut tree, the scuffs on the bumper, the possibly bad AC system. It was just "one hobby too many". Thanks again for all the advice here. Sorry I don't have a better outcome to report; I was just "over it".

Next comes selling the Prolong charger. It'll be in the for-sale section here shortly.

16. Steve_in_NJ

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Next comes selling the Prolong charger.
    Here's the ad: For Sale - Prolong battery charger with Prius Gen 3 harness | PriusChat

#35 Steve_in_NJ, Nov 13, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
    bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    discretion is the better part of valor :cool:

18. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Wise decision. You can use your time and money to something better. The main problem with the hybrid NiMh battery is degradation from heat and aging. When one fail, the rest of the battery will fail one by one or some at once. The best solution is getting complete set of battery from Toyota and replace the whole packs. Refurbished or used battery will have similar problems soon.
    Prolong device only prolonging our pain and false hope for aging battery. $500 is not cheap but you can resale it. There are plenty of us still believe on it. May be it work when the battery is not dying. few % better power is still improvement.