1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my hybrid battery toast

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ronan6029, Oct 5, 2021.

1. ronan6029

ronan6029 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

My 2006 Prius (285,000km) has been sitting for 4 months since I haven't been using it. I started driving it again in the last week. The 12V battery had been losing it's charge completely after sitting for a few days since last year so I replaced this with the same Yuasa unit that came out of it.

Now I have been getting the red triangle, VSC, yellow brake warning and MIL lights.
    I've cleared them by disconnecting the 12V but they come back after a few minutes of driving.
    The hybrid battery charges and discharges very quickly now too and the cooling fan, that I don't think I've ever heard running, is running a lot now too.

Do I just need to clean out my cooling fan will I have to replace the battery?

I see if I can get it into the mechanic this week to read the actual codes coming up.

Thanks in advance

CathyS likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes new hybrid battery time.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is some kind of fault with the HV battery. While your symptoms are consistent with a failing battery, that's just a guess until you have the codes read.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.