1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my Prius done for? :(

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by man4857, Sep 18, 2017.

1. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Then, he'll ask, "can you please give me your passcode, so I can check out your phone calls and texts and use the information against you..."

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll agree that it's a great thing that the OP is ok. But.....I HAVE to reply to this..no one, NO ONE walks away from a stopped car that gets a rear impact from another car moving 45-50 mph, especially if it hits square, as you mention. There are very few cars lighter than a Prius. It sounds like there is a gross misunderstanding of the forces involved...........take a look at this Camry.........and watch the test dummy

#22 TMR-JWAP, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Montgomery likes this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Correct. And if the repair totals pass that threshold then you'll then know if the title will be salvaged or totaled, you just gotta get the estimate(s) first.

My 98 Camry was hit by a USPS vehicle. KBB value of the camry is $400, the repair estimates were $2,100 and $2,500. The parts to be replace were more expensive than value of the car, and that excludes labor. I saw the first estimate and wanted to laugh out loud. At least I'll get $1,000 minimum by turning it in to the government.

4. man4857

man4857 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure I will agree that the rear end of the car will look like that after a 45-50mph crash. The differences between the crash test and an actual vehicle test is that the vehicle colliding can be compressed and it's front end can be crushed, which will result in the rear end looking like a fender bender just happened. The crash test video shows a block of what looks to be like concrete or some other heavy material that can't be compressed.

For the record, at the scene of the accident, the other car (Nissan Quest) that hit me, the front end looks exactly like what you'd see in a front end crash test. Completely messed up with the insides all over the place and coolant leaking.

If anything, the repair estimate ended up to $9750. About $3500 of that is frame repair work. No fender bender will ever cause that much damage to a rear end of a car.

Edit: Looks like the estimate got updated, it'll end up costing $11500 to repair. Body shop asked my insurance what to do next as the cost to repair exceeds the value of the car. Sad times for my Prius. :(

#24 man4857, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Handwashing and interior dressing here also, all the energy and time that it takes from your schedule and life. Looks like they gonna cut you a check from the total estimate value, soon you'll be on the hunt for another car. Just wondering if you would consider buying another prius.

6. man4857

man4857 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd want to buy another Prius, but at this point in my life trying to pay off student loans, I don't think buying another $25K vehicle is a good idea financially. I might go with a Corolla to save on cash.

Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  7. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good luck, man! So sorry this happened to you , and hope you can get another Prius some day. But in the meantime, "lurk and learn" as you may get a Gen IV when that day comes!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My '04 was totaled after getting rear-ended at about 10 mph by a car doing about 40. The frame rail was bent and that in and of itself made the car unrepairable. I sustained no injuries.

My C was totaled at 5 mph by a pick up doing about 65. It was a mangled mess. back seat was pushed against my front seat. The spare was fine, it just rotated verticle with the buckled floor. The front hit another car. My seat broke and I was looking at the ceiling so I don't know what happened after the first impact. I think I felt three or four impacts. The front axle was broken. The engine compartment was a mess. In other words there was a boat load of damage. I walked away not seriously injured. cuts, scrapes, black eye, busted rib - I think from bouncing off the console when the seat dropped.

I can't see the left side in your photo, but I would guess from the estimated speed that the rail was bent. I saw you have an 11,500 estimate., but it didn't mention anything significant. I would ask the repair shop if there was significant structural damage before thinking about repairing it. I would likely let it get totaled and get a new car.

Robert Holt likes this.
  9. spacecoastbill

spacecoastbill New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Why? It is obvious this is nothing more than a civil matter. Without serious injury or death, no Officer is going to go that route. Exactly what would you look for on the phone to get that speed?

If this was a severe enough crash (and in my -expert- opinion) this is not a crash at 40-50 MPH. But if there was airbag deployment or near airbag deployment event then the data is locked on the data recorder and easy to retrieve.

I know it feels much more, but the vehicle condition just does not support that.

10. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It’s unfair that a car that’s worth much more than $11,500 to you is going to the junk yard because of some thoughtless a**hole. Now you have to scramble to find a suitable replacement that might not be as good. IMO, a pound of flesh would be justified for extraction.

11. SR-71

SR-71 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That really sucks! Hard to say if it's totaled or not, but I'm sure you'll find out soon. Unfortunately these situations hardly ever turn out in favor of the person that was rear ended. If the insurance company fixes it the car may never be the same. And if they total it, odds are you'll come out of pocket to replace it.

I'd like to see these people who text while driving get a mandatory loss of license for a year and $5,000 fine. Perhaps that might start curbing this stupid driving/texting activity.

Robert Holt and KennyGS like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    To prove, or disprove, that he was on his phone at time of impact? That's a criminal matter IIRC.

13. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Texting while driving is a serious issue. Yet, most cops still have to rely on confessions. Most drivers that text or email, probably know to hold the cell phone below the window to keep others from looking. I believe it's legal to use the cell phone (google maps/Waze, hands free speaking, etc... but it's not legal to text while driving.

Here is an interesting article from a year ago.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wa Chatting with a NHTSA researcher last week and he cited research that texting while driving is 3-9 times WORSE than drunk driving. (Drunks keep their eyes on the road and often use compensatory strategies if they know they are impaired ; texters are far more "out-of-the-loop" than drunks.)
    In Germany, a first offense drunk driving conviction does in fact result in a one-year absolute loss of you license ( wife's German cousin just sat in the driver's seat while drunk, was arrested, lost his license for a year, and then had to put up with his wife's driving for a year,,which drove him nuts!)
    Anyway, if texting is worse than drunk driving (and I personally think it is), then having a 1-year mandatory loss of license would seem a fair penalty for a text-driving conviction. My$.02.

KennyGS likes this.
  15. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I totally agree with what you are saying. The problem is enforcement. Texting, unfortunately leaves no physical, telltale signs like alcohol or drugs do. Unless an officer of the law can eyewitness the occurrence it’s very hard to catch texters in the act. I think all cell phone operating systems should be mandated by law to have a texting time stamp log imbedded in the firmware. This would allow law enforcement to review time lines without invading the privacy of the text messages. Just like drivers licenses and insurance papers, the officer should be asking for the cell phones

16. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am also a little confused. I am surprised that the rear window is still in one piece. At 45-50 mph one would think it would at least be cracked. Glad all passengers are ok.

17. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your idea is interesting, but there is still the 4th Amendment to deal with. In 2014, SCOTUS decided that law enforcement needs either a court ordered warrant, or consent from the cell phone owner, before searching a cell phone. And then the cell phone owner will still probably have to unlock the phone.

This is similar to the process of law enforcement searching your vehicle on a routine traffic stop. Outside of probable cause, they'll need a warrant or permission.

18. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe the “at fault” drive would fall under probable cause clauses. In any event the laws have to examined. M

19. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, the technology age has been forcing congress and SCOTUS to create and uphold 4th amendment and privacy related laws. And do so on a continual basis.

I remember last year, when the FBI was trying to persuade Apple into creating a back door for them so they could break into a drug dealer's iPhone to see his contact list. Even with a warrant, unless an individual voluntarily gives out the passcode, it's very challenging for LE to break into their phones (depending on their smart phone).