1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my Prius doomed??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusGuy32, Feb 19, 2015.

1. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I installed the engine block heater tonight, and had to unscrew a bracket which held some wiring looms. This was necessary to be able to access the block heater "hole" in the engine block.

Putting everything back together, I dropped the 10mm bolt that holds the bracket down somewhere in the engine bay and couldnt find it. Therefore, the plastic bracket with the wires is not attached to anything. Its not like it is flopping around, but I am guessing Toyota had it attached for a reason!

Is this going to be a problem?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You might be able to snag another bolt from another location, the one on the air intake hose bracket, directly behind the passenger headlight comes to mind.

Then you can purchase another bolt from either an auto parts store or similar.

3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
  4. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I actually have a telescoping magnet tool I bought from HF, I went under the car and ran it along the plastic panels hoping the bolt would get picked up on the other side, and I could drag it to a hole. No workie. :(

5. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    turn the car upside down and shake it

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Buy/install new hardware and move on.

PS - Not all hardware is ferrous. Try inspection mirror, good light, another set of eyes and mechanical fingers (as required).

#6 frodoz737, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  7. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A room-mate of mine actually did that, no joke, after he accidentally dropped his cigarette lighter into the fuel tank of his motorcycle.

matt b. likes this.
  8. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was not a lit Zippo, I hope. That would explain the upside down and shake, of course. o_O

ftl likes this.
  9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    DO NOT TEST THIS WITHOUT PROPER SAFETY EGUIPMENT.
    Actually you can drop open flame into gasoline as long as gasoline container is filled to the brim and container is somewhere where fumes fill get blown away.

#9 valde3, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  10. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How cold does it get where you are at? A high-quality full-synthetic doesn't even gel until it's too cold to be out driving. Never needed a block heater, and it's -9 this morning. :p

11. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, liquid does not burn, it is the vapour phase.

12. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And you find out if it really *is* somewhere that the fumes get blown away by dropping an open flame into the container... :eek:

13. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, most likely it wasn't lit at the moment he fumbled it. Besides the fact that he didn't burn himself up, another clue is that a lighter probably would've been too wide to fall through the opening with the lid open. That was a long time ago and I didn't hear the details.

14. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get one from a wrecking yard...they might not even charge for it. Might wait for some warmer weather, though.

15. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess it's not for oil "gelling" prevention. it's for better fuel economy and lower engine wear on cold starts.

16. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can see why some would do that, but my understanding is that the block heater's primary purpose is to prevent oil gelling, which would make it nigh impossible to get the engine to start, and if you did, it'd wreck the motor by the time oil thawed enough to flow to where it's needed. From what I've read, if the oil isn't gelled, you have no worse protection at very cold temps than at warmer temps. The oil up in the engine is still doing it's job until fresh stuff from the pan arrives.

17. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Colder the engine is when starting more it’s going to wear. And this is true in all temperatures lower than operating temperature. So block heater will reduce wear (and fuel consumption) in all temperatures. Above freezing help will be so small that it’s not normally used.

When oil temperature drops it thickens and that thick oil will not pump in as fast. Thick oil in bearings will heat, thin, and run out. But new oil isn’t pumped in fast enough since oil in the pan is cold and thick. And also every clearance in engine is incorrect since different components have different coefficient of heat expansion. And other things will effect also. Basically engine just isn’t designed to operate cold.

If oil gelling would be only reason to use block heater they would only be needed in -40c or -40F with 0w-XX oil.