1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my traction battery going bad?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jdonalds, Jun 28, 2015.

1. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    In 7 years and 151K miles we've only had two tanks of gas that registered under 40 mpg. Most of the time we're hitting 42-48, averaging about 45. (If I was the only driver we would have gotten 50+ but my wife doesn't do any hypermile techniques.)

Last week we filled up and only got 36 mpg, the lowest ever. The current tank, about 200 miles of driving, is only getting 38 mpg. When we get into the car the battery level indicator shows 2 purple bars. I checked for codes but there are none.

After 7 years we know the behavior of this car and this isn't normal. We replaced the 12V battery last year. Is there anything else that could be causing this 7+ drop in mpg besides the traction battery?

If the battery is bad my plan is to buy a new one and install it myself. I understand there is a 1 year warranty on new batteries. Would installing it my self void the warranty?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's possible. diy does not void warranty, a new battery is a good idea if you plan on keeping the car for awhile.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Well my plan had been to sell the Gen II and buy a Gen IV (depending on what Toyota does to it). If I replace the traction battery I might just decide to keep driving the Gen II.

Does anybody have an idea how much Toyota would charge to diagnose the battery?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's usually an hour, so, whatever the rate is, usually around $100. if you're not getting any lights, it's probably not bad enough yet.

5. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check tire pressure? Has the weather been especially hot the last few tanks?

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The traditional sign of bad HV battery is the big red triangle, and before that behavior of battery if you are watching it quickly charge/discharge to purple. Bad MPG can be other issues.

If it is the battery, you might expect decent possibly full coverage by Toyota since you are close to the 150k mile warranty limit. But right now your post (for me) is fitting the category of what I call the close-to-the-warranty blues when some owners start to get worried about the battery right at the warranty deadline. This is understandable, but I suspect from what you have said the battery failure code has not yet been thrown for the dealer to see it.

7. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    I will double check the tire pressure. If only it were that simple. I did just check the tire pressure (44/42) about a month ago but who knows... you could be right.

Has it been hot? We'll yes. Quite hot. But that's nothing new for this area. We live in Redding CA. Every summer we have four to eight weeks of over 100 degrees. It's not uncommon for it to be 110+. But we've lived here for four summers and the drop in mileage isn't more than 2 or 3 mpg during the summer. I do note that the air conditioner squashes about 2 mpg. We know the car quite well. While we have another car it remains parked and covered most of the time. We drive the Prius 95% of the time. We check the mileage every tank full and monitor the mileage. So a drop below 40 mpg is extremely rare.

I have read here on priuschat that hot temps apparently might shorten the traction battery life. Someone mentioned that 140-160K miles is about where hot climate batteries sometimes fail. We are right in the middle of that range with 151K miles on the car.

The other symptom is we can pull the car into the garage at the end of the day with 7 or 8 bars of charge, but have only 2 to 3 bars in the morning. That is certainly new behavior. Today we drove into Home Depot with 7 or 8 bars, but an hour later came out and had only 2 bars.

Still with all of that bad behavior no codes from the OBD.

I guess I'll take it into Toyota this week and pay them to check the battery.

8. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    We are seeing the quick charge/discharge to purple.

Right. No code so from what I understand Toyota won't replace it under warranty.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is your strategy to replace the HV battery before its final death? I don't recall anyone else doing that. User UART in Australia has been nursing a weak HV batt for several years. There are some tips, one is to let the car warm up a few minutes on start...the ICE engine will come on and then go off. This usually adds a bar or two and then you can drive off. You can take it to Toyota, I do not want to say that is bad idea, but my understanding is all they do is look for thrown codes...they do not really have some kind of HV battery tester. By the way, clogged battery cooling fan is one possible issue that can fixed by cleaning the fan.

10. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may want to consider cleaning the HV Fan and grid re-balancing the HV Battery.
    No I do not sell a grid balancer.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Check tire air pressure
    2. Raise up the rear of the car and spin the rear wheels when the parking brake is off, to make sure there is no drag
    3. Check wheel alignment
    4. Check engine oil level
    5. Check transaxle ATF level, replace ATF if more than 60K miles since last ATF drain/refill

If you install a new traction battery from Toyota, your installation will not void the warranty - unless the battery has a failure which is attributed to a fault in the work you did.

N.J.PRIUS, Mendel Leisk and Tony D like this.
  12. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Get a Mini VCI cable and Toyota Techstream software. The cables are available on ebay or Amazon for under $25. Without Techstream you are trying to fix your car in the dark. With Techstream you can look at live battery data while under charge and discharge. Weak module pairs will stand out with larger voltages swings.
    Static module voltage does not give a complete a picture of module health.

Charge test : Engine on, set parking brake, car in drive, step on gas and brake fully. Your car will just sit still and charge. Give it about thirty seconds to a minute. The weak module pair voltages will rise faster and higher than the rest.

Discharge test: Car on and warmed up, engine off, set parking brake, car in reverse, step on the brake, give it a little gas but not so much that the gas engine turns on. The car will sit still and discharge the battery. Give it about a minute. The weak module pairs will drop in voltage faster and farther.

For a more detailed explanation read this short thread. Unable to determine the cause of the triangle warning | PriusChat

As others have said a dealer will not go to this level to test your car and battery.

Brad

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: MPG also check brake adjustment, rear wheels should spin freely if jacked up off the ground. Sometimes the brake adjustment is too tight.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The hot summer weather really does reduce MPG. I get fairly bad gas mileage on my cars because I work 2 miles from work. When I have to blast the AC on high on my 2 mile drive, I can easily get only 36 mpg.

I would say the weaker capacity of your HV battery along with the hot summer heat has reduced your MPG.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pollution control valve. that's my new thing.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    I hear you wjtracy. If I were the type of person that likes to squeeze the last bit out of a car that would make sense. But I'm the type of person who doesn't like things to be broken. It would drive me crazy to know my battery has failed sufficiently to cause an 8 to 10 mpg drop. While we have an alternative vehicle this is our primary to take our son to school (two round trips a day total 52 miles per day), three or four 1,100 mile round trips a year, etc. I like to keep things in tip top shape. There are rarely things in my house that are in need of repair.

So if I determine the traction battery is going bad - out it will go. I don't consider $1,800 an unreasonable expense. By my calculations We've saved between $7,000 and $9,000 in gas compared to the other car we considered back in 2008 which was a regular gas Civic. Spending the $1,800 will give me peace of mind and we'll still be $5-$7K ahead on fuel cost. Besides we just like the car.

bisco likes this.
  17. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds right to me. Even my wife is noticing it now. The mpg drop is obvious but now she sees the battery charge indicator rapidly dropping into purple multiple times a day.

18. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    If this is true then the Toyota dealer should have the same ability to check the battery. I have an appointment in the morning. If they find nothing I'll have to decide what to do. Perhaps the VCI cable and Techstream would make sense at that point. If they say the battery needs to be replaced I'll replace it. I have no interest in diagnosing the battery and replacing cells. It is possible Toyota will find something else wrong which would be less expensive to fix which would be great.

I am fairly convinced the traction battery is bad.
    - We've been through 4 previous Redding CA summers with extreme high heat and the car didn't behave this way.
    - I rather doubt the battery cooling fan is all that dirty because we rarely ride with the windows open, have no dog or other animal that would bring dirt into the car, and we keep the car very clean. No doubt there will be some dust in the fan but I doubt it would suddenly cause a shift from 45-48 mpg to 36-38 mpg from one tank to the next.
    - The rapid drop from 7-8 bars to purple and back again several times a day is clearly a battery issue, or perhaps an ECU/charger. Hopefully Toyota can tell me that.
    - Tire pressure is good.
    - Brakes are not dragging.

My hope is Toyota will say the battery is bad. That would be a clean decision and the problem would go away with the installation of a new HV battery. If they don't find the battery bad my saga will continue.

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Save your money, if the battery ecu has not thrown a code, the dealer can't do anything for you.

20. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I did a preemptive strike a few years ago and replaced a battery that was acting exactly like yours is. I think I got pretty lucky and found a guy parting out a car locally on Craiglist, got a good battery for $800, then sold my still-working "core" (with full disclosure) to a Prius hobbyist for $300. It's been working great for 40K miles. My wife drives the car quite a bit in pretty remote desert areas and I didn't want to see her stranded. It was a good $500 gamble that my wife agreed with and it paid off well. I'm not sure it would have worked economically for us at a dealer's price.