1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Naugahyde really leather?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fphinney, Aug 2, 2006.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Toyota calls it "Leather trimmed seats". Now I speak english, but what does this really mean? Some leather somewhere? I have a Pathfinder with "Leather seating surfaces". Only the centre panels of the seat bottom and back are leather.

I got leather because it is actually nicer to sit on than cloth. It breaths. It isn't slippery. The vinyl parts are slippery, and don't breath.

I think the high end cars such as Jaguar come with really nice all leather seat coverings. The cars most of us can afford (the "cheap ones") just come with leather trimmings. ;)

2. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 3 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]297470[/snapback]</div>
    Am I the ONLY person in the world who really DOES prefer cloth seats because I HATE sticking to leather when I wear shorts? (Shaddup all you gutter minds... <_< )

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Rufaro, did you see my rant? I'm the all-cloth guy as well.

Yes, it is possible to get "All-Leather" from the dealer. The problem is that leather will wear out very early if used in the places they now use vinyl. Expect it to look old very soon if you get "all leather."

Nate

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I was pretty tired when I posted before, but here is a place that actually makes leather seat cover replacements for the Prius - so you don't have to have Toyota "leather".
    http://www.autoleathers.com/HTML2/AL.MAIN.FS.html

It's my understanding several dealers get their seat "conversions" from these folks.

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Aug 3 2006, 10:29 PM) [snapback]297523[/snapback]</div>
    Oops...sorry...missed that one in the midst of the moans from the leather crowd... :rolleyes:

7. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 3 2006, 05:31 AM) [snapback]296843[/snapback]</div>
    By the look of some of the seat covers I've seen (esp. from Wet Okole) I wish I'd gotten the cloth seats rather than leather, even the OEM leather in package #8. I don't know that it makes sense to put seat covers on leather (does it work out?), but I like the look of the seat covers more than I do the leather seats.