1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Navigation system worth it

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rocky Willson, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys have it cheap >.<. In Canada, a Toyota nav option is $2,000-3,000 depending on model. (also depends if it includes bluetooth/backup camera in that package).

I bought my TomTom ONE 2nd Edition last Nov. They've been quite a number of changes, notably now everyone is selling a slim nav unit.

Pros:
    - take it any care including on holidays in your rental car
    - can add 3rd party apps (trip computer, games, movies)
    - can take it on a walking tour (e.g. in Europe) and guide you around the city
    - some units have guided tours, giving you information of a historic POI
    - can use it as a phonebook/yellow pages if someone says they need to find something (e.g. ATM), you just pull out your trusty nav and find the ATM for them. Ditto for finding a business number (e.g. restaurant)
    - can add custom POIs (either with brand names e.g. Starbucks or just your own set)
    - depending on model, there's traffic/road conditions and weather information
    - Some units have a buddy feature. Good for meeting up at a place (send each other the restaurant's location and navigate there) or if you're on a road trip and you lost sight of the lead car.
    - Some units have bluetooth handsfree (if your car doesn't have one).
    - Some units allow the iPod to hooked up

Cons:
    - have to plug it in if it needs charging
    - have to take it out every time I park the car for fear of getting it stolen
    - smaller screen than factory nav
    - depending on model, limited space (some can be expanded with SD cards)
    - depending on model, short battery life
    - depending on model, fewer POIs than factory nav
    - depending on model, less detail than factory nav
    - route calculation varies model-by-model

2. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it is but there's no more "I Agree" with disc version 7.1

See my above post for details on the portable nav.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the comments. Sorry, I hadn't realised this thread was so old. I just carried on from a recent comment. Yeah, an extra 3 grand is pretty pricey, and I wasn't sure how to advise my friend, not having used the nav myself. She's always getting lost, so will likely find it very useful.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The question now is she willing to deal with the hassle of removing it (and unplugging the wire) every time she leaves the car?

5. pkscout

pkscout Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It does as of at least a month or so ago. It took me awhile to find, but they have a native Mac updater on their web site.

And to speak to the question, I got the Garmin for a third of the price of the Prius nav, and that included the traffic receiver so that I can get routed around bad traffic. So less money for the Garmin and more functionality.

Oh, and for the price of the DVD update on the Prius, I could get a Garmin unit again.

6. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We love ours! Especially when we are navigating the freeways around the larger cities. It's just so cool. But, I'm thinking it may be time for an updated disk...

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just wish updates were cheaper and closer together.

I was told that the two local Best Buy stores had the "Blade Runner" HD-DVD on order but the store in Lexington had a copy. My response was "Store in Lexington???". Same response from the Nav: no such POI.

So as I was driving to a known spot in Lexington, maybe 20 miles from my house, I stumbled across the Best Buy and added it for later, but even if it was on a new update it's just not worth the $250 to have it there already.

Now, there's likely to be a bunch of new POIs I could make use of in places I will go eventually, but again that price is just not encouraging me to getting them for later. $250 is very much a need now price. I wish Toyota would get the message that cheaper updates would encourage regular sales, but their expensive updates just never quite seem worth it...

8. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We've got an '07 and love it. I insisted on it, my wife was set against it. I have had a portable ColorMap Garmin for years. She found that to be a pain, I love having it.

In the Prius it is very easy to use, and is very accurate. When you don't want it on, just turn it off. Don't know about the update stuff, as we've never done it.

Icarus

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, she was sold on the idea, even though there were no navigation equipped models in stock to look at. But, she wasn't willing to wait until March, when we were told they would be available, so bought the 'premium' package instead. And I get a 'finder's fee' for selling a car! I was quite willing to help out anyway - I didn't even know about it - but that was a nice surprise.

10. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You probably have enough responses already, but I was in your shoes when I bought my 2004 Prius. I did not want the navigation system, but I could only buy a fully loaded Prius - after a six month wait!

Once I had it, I love it. I will probably want the system in my next new car, whenever that is. I also like the integrated system, with controls on the steering wheel to switch to and off the maps (once I agree).

I have not used any other nav system, so I have no input on to relative merits.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah you do. I've yet to get one cause everybody I send in backs out or buys another car instead. :mad:

12. bdirwin

bdirwin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How did you get a finders fee? My wife loved my Prius so much, she bought her own. Then my Father-In-Law bought one. I never got a finders fee.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, technically, I don't have it yet, but a cheque will be mailed when the car is paid for. The salesman remarked that I was very helpful, and made his job much easier. I joked that I would split the commission with him, and he mentioned the 'bird dog' fee. Apparently anyone who brings in a customer that follows through with a purchase is eligible. I don't know if this applies in the US, but I don't see why not. Give your local dealer a call and find out.