1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is New or Rebuilt Engine in Gen 3 Worth It?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cosgrove, Nov 5, 2016.

1. cosgrove

cosgrove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After six years, 186000 miles our heretofore flawless 2010 Gen 3 suddenly began using oil - 3 quarts between 5000 mile changes. There are no oil leaks or head gasket problems, and our mechanics (whom I trust) said there was nothing to do but 1. keep adding oil, 2. engine overhaul, 3. new or rebuilt engine. So far everything is running OK except for the oil usage, and the rest of the car is in really good shape. However, in case the engine finally blows, would a new or rebuilt engine be worth it ($5000.00 and up, I'm told) or would that money be better spent on a new car? Anyone out there have experience with a new or rebuilt engine in a Gen 3 Prius? Any advice welcome.

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep adding oil until the consumption gets bad enough to foul the catalytic converter or oxygen sensors. That should occur when the burn rate reaches a quart per 1000 miles. You're not there yet. Worry about it then. Motor oil is still cheap - an engine isn't (obviously).

And don't be concerned about blowing up the engine. If you're diligent enough to top off the oil level as needed you won't blow it up.

3. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    While you may find the oil consumption excessive -- most manufacturers say 1k per Qt .. some go as low as 750.

What oil have you been using? -- Toyota switched to 10k intervals with synthetic 0W-20. I would not be rebuilding an engine for 3qt in 5k of driving. I don't see why it would blow ? I'm not sure if they make high mile 0W-20 ... if they do .. try it.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As noted excellently above, club up to a 5w30 and monitor.
    More later.....

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What work have your mechanics done to the car? PCV valve? Intake manifold cleaning? Egr system? Tried an engine treatment?

What type of driving do you do? Can you go 5 mph slower than you currently are?

Plenty of things to investigate and explore before an expensive decision has to be made;).

Keep adding oil and keep your Prius on the road(y).

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you don't mind sharing, how often were you changing the oil, following the US schedule? I'm not saying it matters, just curious.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Adding 3 quarts for $12 every 5000 miles, or $240 every 100000 miles.

Makes sense to me vs $3000 engine

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would you consider a used engine from a low-mileage wrecked Gen 3 Prius? If I could be sure of the provenance of the ICE in such a case and the cost was less than $1000, I would consider it. Just my $.02.

9. cosgrove

cosgrove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks hugely for all the advice folks - I think I'll just keep adding oil and let the chips fall where they may, or at least until something else bad happens to the engine. Actually I can't complain since the car lasted almost 200K without any trouble. Kind of makes me envious of those going 300K miles and more without serious incident in their Prii. To answer the questions in the above posts:
    1. The mechanics at Toyota of Santa Fe changed the gaskets in a couple of minor components (I forget which ones, also lost the receipt), but they told me that probably wouldn't fix the problem and it didn't (they only charged me cost of gaskets). No sign of oil leaks under the car or around the engine.
    2. I have been changing the oil every 5000 miles, using 0W-20 synthetic oil. Car hadn't used a drop of oil (that I could tell) up until 2 months ago at about 186000 miles. Then the oil warning light came on and I was two quarts low 3500 mi into the previous oil change. Incidentally, the Mobil 0W-20 oil here in the boondocks costs $9.00/quart, still cheaper than a new engine.
    3. I noticed from this blog that used/rebuilt engines can be obtained much cheaper than $5000.00. I assume this quote was for a new engine.
    4. The mechanics also told me that synthetic oil does not cause smoke out the exhaust when it burns in a defective engine. I wonder if this is true.

Thanks again for all the comments...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a defective engine, a worn engine. It's very strange that your oil consumption issue occurred over a very short time. Typically it occurs gradually and increases over that time. By the way, your Prius' oil consumption isn't nearly severe enough such that smoke would spew from the exhaust - a quart every 100 miles definitely, but no way with 1666 miles per quart.

I wonder what those gaskets were that the dealership charged you for - the Johnson rod maybe? Save your receipts in the glove box - you'll never lose them.

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If the oil is burning it's probably from worn piston rings. You ought to be able to just replace the rings and the head gasket, but it is an involved process and you will almost certainly need to remove the engine.

This is why a used engine can make sense; you're removing the old engine anyway. It depends whether you can find an inexpensive, low mileage engine from a wrecked car.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Per @Raytheeagle : check again if PCV valve has been changed. Same with the EGR : what was done. The dealership should be able to find this info. The more aware you are of your car's history the better.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Also the more aware you are of the cars history, the better troubleshooting you or someone else can do.

14. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    More likely clogged and stuck with carbon, not worn (assuming decent air filtration).

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So you can clean the rings without replacing them?

16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Engine treatments and performance restorers are options.

Some work, some don't. When I used the BG Products EPR before changing the oil, the oil came out jet black after treatment. So in my case this worked. I did it to see if I could reverse some oil consumption and get back to not adding oil between changes every 10 k miles. At 4300 miles on this oil, it is on pace to do that.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you enlarge on that, consumption before and since? Interesting.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Was consuming a quart of oil every 4500 miles since 120 k. Did the egr system and intake manifold cleaning, upped the oil from 0w-20 to 5w-30, EPR treatment and now consumption is now around the oil change interval of 10 k miles. Probably a little short, but still close.

I will be doing some experimentation with some oil additives to potentially improve lubrication. I use synthetic (Toyota or Mobil One), but if carbon deposits have built up once and led to blow by, what's to say it won't happen again? And with the engine logging more miles ( currently at 143 k miles), the situation will only get worse.

First test will be starting after thanksgiving: Oil change with Mobil One 5w-30 and BG Products MOA. Doing this oil change early as we will be going to So Cal to Disneyland after thanksgiving and want to see what mpg and oil consumption will be with this configuration going about 80 mph down I-5 and over the grapevine. I know what I have gotten on previous trips in terms of gas mileage and oil consumption, so this will be another data point;).

But these are my observations and may vary.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On this subject: Have you guys found a good way to make reading the oil dipstick reliable? Because I almost always have a streak of oil on my dipstick that makes accurate reads impossible.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, someone here had a brilliant idea, works: remove dipstick and wait at least 5 minutes, before reinserting to do the check. Oil apparently gets pulled up the dipstick tube when you remove the dipstick, and it drains back in a few minutes.

Raytheeagle likes this.