1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is oil change at 10k?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JayW, Feb 13, 2010.

1. JayW

JayW New Member

i remember reading that from old thread. our family car is 4600miles, and oil change reminder pops up everytime engine turns on. is it changed to 10k now, and synthesis oil only?

if it is indeed 10k, can they update the software to change the reminder interval? i figure i should do that while fixing that brake software at the same time.

2. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oil change at 10K miles is correct if you have a 2010 G3 Prius and using 0W20 synthetic oil. The tire rotation interval is still a 5K miles.

3. azgringo

azgringo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmmm. I bought a pre-paid maintenance package, which includes oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals. I wonder if I can have an addendum to my maintenace package to change the oil change portion to once every 10,000 miles. Thoughts?

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Does your pre-paid maintenance plan include the use of synthetic oil? If so you might get them to change the interval, if not it will probably cost you extra anyway.

Some dealers still claim they haven't been notified about the change from 5K to 10K miles so you may wish to contact Toyota before you go to see them. Owners are suppose to be notified by mail this month but no one has been yet.

5. azgringo

azgringo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, the pre-paid maintnance includes synthetic oil. I've already had my 5k and 10k services done w/ 0 w20. I'll take your advice and contact Toyota first. Hopefully the dealer will work with me on this!

6. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm sure they would love to put a rider on your prepaid maintenance package to only do half of the work you've already paid for. :confused:

7. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Car came with semi-synthetic (0w20 has to be semi synthetic at least), so unless they shaft you with 5w20, you should be okay. I have 6000 miles on my M1 0w20, I think I will change it because the lifters made a little noise during the initial morning start up. 10K on oil seems to be a lot to me, especially on a 4.5 quart pan

8. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My initial oil change was at 323 miles, when I had a new TRD oil filter and 0W-30 oil (Amsoil 100% Synthetic) installed by the dealer. I am about to have the oil and filter changed at 2400 miles to 0W-20, and of course, another new TRD filter. I always replace engine oil and oil filters fairly often when I buy a new car, owing to the much higher level of wear any new engine that must 'wear-in' as parts seat themselves and create metal dust and particles that consequently contaminate the oil. This matters if you intend like I do, to keep the Prius for a very long time. If you dump the car every few years at lease end, then of course this course of action would only benefit a future owner, so you'd be foolish to care. But If you keep the car, it just makes sense.

9. sirrealist

sirrealist New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got my letter today (3/4/2010).

10. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I also got a letter and a new Warranty & Maintenance Guide on 3/5. My letter reads "use of the new synthetic 0W-20 Genuine Toyota Motor Oil in your Prius allows for the oil change interval to be extended to 10,000 miles...". Surely they can't require us to use Toyota oil. I have done 3 oil changes already at 5K, 10K, and 15K. I'm over 20K now and have 0W20 Mobile One in my car.

Also I thought I read here we were supposed to get a free oil change for those that had already done 5K oil changes.

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No they can't. The Magnuson-Moss Act prohibits that unless they supply the oil free. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and You That link is from an Amsoil site but it applies and the parts inside the box are from the act itself. The requirement is for ISLAC approved 0W20 synthetic. I think a lot of us on this forum are using Mobil 1. There are some other brands starting to market 0W20 now also, I saw some Valvoline 0W20 at the auto parts store yesterday and Amsoil has had a 0W20 out for some time now

12. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What You DID NOT explain about the 'Moss-Magnuson Act' . . .

If a car manufacturer like Toyota rules that You are the cause of the Blown Engine in your New Toyota, and VOIDS the warranty the issue becomes YOU versus The Toyota Company. How much Money can YOU afford to waste on getting your Toyota Engine Repaced, while your Lawyers battle, at YOUR EXPENSE the Toyota Company in Court ? ? ? Oh, and the Money you'll need to hire 'experts' to testify on your behalf, after they examine the engine that failed. For most us, the answer is we can't ! Moss-Magnuson sounds Terrific, but the governement is not gonna show up and do battle for you with Toyota, you end up being the "PATSY", the only one who cares. My advice, Don't do anything Toyota doesn't want you to do because you can't afford to have them disagree with you. Being Right won't get your car fixed.:(

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have no fear, Toyota is not going to try to prove an engine was destroyed because someone used Mobil 1 0W20 instead of Toyota branded (made by some unknown company) 0W20. In fact my dealers service department has given their OK to use Mobil 1 and they even offered to put it in for me if I provided it. Mobil might have something to say about it as well. I have never heard of an automobile manufacturer trying to deny warranty coverage based on the brand of oil as long as it met the specifications, have you?

I think it may be a moot point anyway. Even though I haven't received my letter from Toyota yet I'm pretty sure it will say to use their oil "or equivalent" just as the owner's manual does. Toyota is not going to get involved in a big hassle with their customers so they can make a few extra bucks on motor oil. I believe if they denied the use of other brands they would have to give their oil away or be in violation of the law and they won't do either. :)

14. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am sure the Mobil 1 and other qualifying Motor Oils would be dependable. That was not my point. Just never install any after market equipment that could be remotely considered in the subsequent failure of the cars OEM components and imagine for a moment that the Moss Magnuson law will offer you any protection. It simply will not. Amsoil should stop repeating and misleading people with that nonsense, they know better from first hand experience.

15. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Man, you New York guys know a lot of stuff, don't you? I didn't even think you guys drove cars up there. I spent a lot of my earlier career doing motor vehicle law both for and against manufacturers and dealers and I think Tumbleweed is right on, but what do we know?

2 people like this.
  16. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Got my letter today with a new maintenance schedule. I haven't decided if I'll have the oil changes done at Toyota or do it myself.

17. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Received a owner manual ( add on). Tells us we need to use 0W20 Full Synthetic and the oil change interval is 10,000 miles. I will do mine at 5K and the next at 10K.

18. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You are Correct, I do "KNOW A LOT" especially since Amsoil had to finally pay to repair 2 engines that Subaru refused to fix under warranty because an Amsoil Oil Filter system was installed properly on their engine. Your touted Moss-Magnuson Law did BUPKIS ! It took Amsoil YEARS to finally own, and agree to pay for the problem. Fortunately I could afford to replace the Engine while all those years dragged on, and Amsoil tried USELESSLY to have Subaru honor their factory New Vehicle Warranty.

That means what you and Tumbleweed agree on happens to be BS ! The Facts and actual experiences like mine PROVE that Moss-Magnuson is in actual practical application, completely worthless.

19. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here is where You are wrong in your assumptions.

Toyota or any auto maker would ONLY have to pay to Prove what they assert, That YOU and What YOU DID, caused or contributed to the engine failure, IF someone Forced them to do that. That 'Someone' is YOU, and all the Lawers you hiore, and technical experts you pay for. IF YOU Fail to force them, they do nothing, and pay for nothing, ever. Even Amsoil could not change that, and Amsoil has the money to pay for that as well as the experts, yet even they could not get Subaru to pay, or prove their assertion.

The auto manufacturer SAVES BIG BUCKS, by ignoring you and your Moss-Magnuson law, is how the Real World actually works.:)

20. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V