1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is oil change part of 5k "free" service?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyclopathic, Mar 25, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very very bad.the accepted limit 1/8". Anything more will chew tires. OEM spec calls for 0.03-0.10"

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that's crazy! i've always assumed alignment would be perfect from the factory.

3. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's interesting it was off in peculiar way .53" on left and .52" on right (set to .03" and .02" after). Since McPherson toes in on compression I suspect the additional .5" came from springs settling down. Our Gen3 also had excessive toe-in, but I attributed it to potholes. Maybe it was the same thing

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn't switch the oil filter at 1000 miles. If you want to do early anything, just do the US "severe service", oil and filter at 5000 miles or 6 months. That's regular interval in Canada.

I did my own first change at that interval, filter looked fine.

5. 00-00

00-00 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If it all works out, in several days I will be the owner of a new 2015 Prius c four. When talking to the sales rep about the free services, I informed him that I may only put on about 4,000 miles per year. He said "no problem, still get appointments for every 6 months". Tires will be rotated every 6 months, and synthetic oil changes at the 1 and 2 year anniversaries, regardless of mileage. The car comes from the factory with synthetic oil.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would be silly to rotate tyres every 6 months. but hey, it's free, and won't adversely affect anything.
    if you don't drive the car every couple days, you might want to consider a battery tender.

7. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    While that sound logical, it is a waste of time and money.
    The filters have capacity to trap about 1000% of what usually is floating around in there.
    Change the oil early the first time, sure, but screw around just changing the filter.........no way.

8. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You should believe exactly NONE of what a car salesman tells you about maintenance.

Tires are rotated strictly based on mileage.....NOT on calendar time.

If your mileage estimate turns out to be right, you will need service only once a year AND will probably need to do something to be sure the battery stays fully charged during "down time".

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Easy rider, regardless of practicality, the Toyota schedule DOES stipulate miles or months for everything, including tire rotation.

What the schedule lacks is a contingent for extremely low use. We're practically in that category; I'm sticking to the book for duration of the power train warranty. But afterwords, not so much.

00-00 likes this.
  10. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Of course it does. They want to get their "hands on you" every 6 months and get you into that habit for later when you start paying.

They seem to have done such a good job that my local dealer's service dept. is swamped most of the time.

If you are not capable of doing routine inspections yourself, then going in every 6 months for an INSPECTION is not a bad idea.
    Rotating tires every 2K miles is just a waste of everybody's time though.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They haven't done any of our maintenance, I'm just clarifying the schedule. ;)

#31 Mendel Leisk, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  12. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    At my last appointment, I marked the tires and pointed out to them that they didn't rotate them. They said they only rotate back to front if there's more tread on the back tires than there is on the front ones.

13. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Morons.......more total morons. :(

You should complain to the Dealership owner, the Ford rep. who frequents this forum AND to Ford Corporate whose number can be found in your Owners manual or warranty book.

With non-directional tires, which the Prius has, there is an industry standard rotation pattern that you do the same every time.......which ensures that each tire ends up on a different wheel over the course of 4 rotations. EVERY SHOP who does tire rotations should be using that same standard plan. If they aren't, don't go back.

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your are correct however, most shops just rotate front to back unless instructed otherwise. My guess...the lawyers covering their -ss. Back in the days of full size spares and plain steel wheels...it was 5 point rotation.

15. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And there is a "standard" pattern for doing that too.

16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Owners Manual says to just do front-to-back and back-to-front, no crossover. It's a new one for me too, coming from Honda. So anyway, they're just going by the book: I don't think you can go religious on their heinie. ;)

FWIW I've kept ours segregated by side, per the manual, and they're looking ok. Our winter XIce are directional anyway.

18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As much as I hate hearing people on this forum say "with today's technology", staying with on side rotation has had no negative impact on my Prius tire wear @ 93,000 vehicle miles. I am however avid about having the wheels balanced and alignment checked/adjusted at scheduled 4,000/5,000 mile rotations though...or as required for cause. Same package at the same shop I've used for years for all my for cars and light trucks. But that's a discussion for anther day/thread.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i find it easier and more cost effective (disregarding the 25 free rotations) not to rotate at all, and just replace as necessary.

20. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I prefer mostly not to rotate on FWD, or rather rotate once. When fronts are completely gone there are ~30-50% left on rears. At that point I get a pair of new fronts. When rears are gone I move fronts to rear and get new pair on front. This way it ensures that I am not driving on 4 bold tires, and heaving good front tires on FWD is more important than in the rear.