1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Paint Protection Worth it? TWO eco

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by fsu23phd, Jan 13, 2016.

1. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So my dealer found me a new TWO ECO, but it comes with paint protection on the doors and hoods. The total is $600 between the two. I don't think that's worth it at all. Does anyone have an opinion?

2. luckyboy

luckyboy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Of course its not worth it, this is just another high profit margin ad-on that dealers try to pull. Last new car I bought (not a prius) had dealer markup of $1500 for 3M door edge protection and paint non-sense. Of course we had already agreed to a price before I saw the vehicle and those dealer ad-ons were not even considered. It literally takes a min wage lot boy less than an hour to apply all the trim and paint protection with $10-20 in materials.

Okinawa, fsu23phd and Netcub like this.
  3. Netcub

Netcub Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's just personal preference...

Is it worth it to buy a Prius? (when gas is $1.69)
    A Mercedes or BMW?
    Organic Food?
    Floor Mats?
    Starbucks?
    New Cellphones?

It' worth it if you have the money and it's important to you. It's worth it if you want it, and choose to spend your money on it.

Sergiospl and bwilson4web like this.
  4. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :) Well, we make 240K/year combined, living in Wilmington, NC, so we could have a Tesla if we wanted (assuming we could get one in NC), but we choose to live modest. I just grew up frugal, and I want to stay that way until I die. I guess I'm wondering if it really does increase the longevity of the paint? we have a 2005 prius and a 2010 prius, and both seem to be doing just fine... So as you said, it's probabally not that important to us... I will see if I can get that removed, or as others have suggested, just wait until more are available.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I believe the film is worth it when bought from an installer. Find a local shop to apply 3M or VentureShield film. The dealer subcontracts with the installer for the film so cut out the middleman.

Trollbait likes this.
  6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you do a lot of highway driving in a high desert area with semi trucks carting gravel, then yes. Or, is you do a lot of highway driving period. I didn't do it to my 2006 Scion XB and the front end turned into pitted mess. Looked like the surface of an orange. I don't do as much highway driving anymore, so I am not going to get it done. Just going to save my money and have the front end re-painted/coated as necessary.

fsu23phd likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If by paint protection on the hood and doors you are talking about a Clear Bra and/or a 3M paint protection film product, they can be useful. My experience is that they do protect against dings and scratches.

But I'd want to know EXACTLY what product has been installed, as there are many, and some not as good as others. I'd also want an idea as to warranty backing.

Also I'd say $600 seems a little steep, as I think you could probably find a local shop and install it after purchase cheaper, but I admit I haven't shopped in that arena in several years.

Maybe I should put it this way....

I had a clear bra installed on my Honda Fit, and I liked it, and thought it helped.
    I did NOT have any paint protection installed on my Prius, and nearing 3 years of ownership, I haven't regretted it.

Is that vague enough of a indictment and simultaneous endorsement?

Trollbait likes this.
  8. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is very helpful! I do actually work in a city about 2 hours away, I drive in on Tuesday, and drive back on Thursday. Each way, I'm doing about 60 miles on I-40, and another half hour on 55mph country roads. So maybe it isn't a deal-breaker.. Thanks! Ofcourse, The Electric Me's point is well taken.

Email from the dealer below

As you can see, very little information about the type of paint protection. I'm hopeful I can get the wire package removed, $190 for a bunch of wires? Please...

Attached Files:

9. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm fixing to get my door handle cups paint protected by a local guy that does amazing wrap work. My last car got crazy scratches there. I don't even have long fingernails or a whopping diamond ring but it was scratched to hell. I'd do more if I had the money to blow on it.

fsu23phd likes this.
  10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you are frugal and making $240k while driving a 5 and a 10 year old car, I'm going to say you don't need paint protection.

There are only two reasons to get paint protection. You need to keep your car looking new and to keep resale value high.

Hypothetically, if you were at fault in small car accident and the bumper was dented, would you :
    A: pay the deductible to replace the bumper or
    B: DIY repair it by watching a YouTube video and pushing out the dent. You ignore the scratches and avoid increasing your premiums.

If you make $240k and drive a 10 year old Prius, I think you're a B person so pristine paint doesn't matter much to you versus cash.

Resale value on a 10 year old Prius is hardly affected by dents and scratches. It's expected you'll find a few. If you keep cars this long, the paint protection isn't going to increase the value of your car much or at all.

fsu23phd, Netcub and Trollbait like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wouldn't bother, pain on the prius is pretty tough. jmo.

fsu23phd likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What exactly is "paint protection"? Are we talking about transparent films? Just my 2 cents: think they will start to look burnished over time, and will be a pain to remove.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Considering how thin car paint is these days, it is probably worth it to have if dings and chips will bother you. The dealer cost is high though. A kit of 3M brand runs $130 to $350 on Amazon. It is generally recommended to get it professionally installed on curvy sheet metal like the Prius has.

If you want the protection, but want it DIY and cheap, you can try clear plastidip. A gallon can is $50 or so, and I might try it on our next car.

fsu23phd likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds like another entry-port, processing, profit center. The good news is they do a lot of 'em so like window tinting, it won't s*ck. Bad news, it may take a special order (and delay) to get it without.

Bob Wilson

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When we got our 2010, it had little decals all over with an I.D. number, some sorta anti-theft thing, by "Tricor". None of the salesmen even bothered to mention it.

16. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I have seen dealers list "paint protection" and mean two different things. One is a buff on product, and it's absolutely not worth it. The other is 3M or equivalent vinyl film, and it's nice to have. Pearl S got the treatment at a local specialty shop, 2/3 of the hood and both front fenders, along with the bumper cover and mirrors. That cost $600 in 2012. I should have spent the extra $200 to do the entire hood, as if you look closely you can see where it ends. You wouldn't if it covered the entire hood.
    The film protects against small rock chips well, but a large enough rock will dent the hood (I have one!). It doesn't discolour with age, and I haven't seen any buildup of scuffing in it. In fact, it's hard to notice unless you really look closely. You can also get a similar product applied to the headlamp housings. It's thicker and more transparent. It's a little iffy whether it's worth it, as it probably only increases the force required to damage the headlamp by a small amount, and costs almost as much as a new housing!

If damaged the film can be removed. They have to soak it in isopropyl alcohol to get it off (they use it when they put it on as well). So a warranty on the film can be useful. I have found that in about 50% of cases on my cars if the film is damaged the paint is too. But in 50% it protected the paint.

If you like your car to look like new with no paint chips, get it. Otherwise, it's not worth it. Probably would cost around the same to repaint the hood. ;)

17. edgalang

edgalang Junior Member

Are we talking about paint protection or a clear bra? They are 2 different things, you say paint protection, but you describe it as a clear bra (since paint protection is the entire car...kind of like a 2nd clear coat).

Regardless, the fact that you have to ask, chances are it is not (for you at least).

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering dealer's email and list of protection on front of hood, front bumper, mirror backs .... it is paint protection film. I skipped and I would skip anything like 'PermaPlate' appearance protection packages also.

fsu23phd likes this.
  19. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Good call. I plan to drive the car for 10 years, so I know it won't be in great shape when the time comes to retire it. By then it will only be worth a few thousand anyway, and I am likely to just give it one of my nephews (my older nephew is getting my 2005, my younger nephew is 10 now). A shiny new car is fun for a few years, but I don't stress out when it gets it's first bump/scratch.

I'll pass on this. I was very excited to get a new one as soon as they come out, but I'm starting to get the feeling that if I wait just into February, I'll have lots more choices, and I won't be relegated to paying for something that doesn't add much value to me.

Thanks everyone!

mmmodem and bisco like this.