1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is paying MSRP or more the ONLY way to get a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by carolbrady, Aug 21, 2007.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(msirach @ Aug 21 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]499991[/snapback]</div>
    Remember, the rebate only occurs if you finance your purchase (after July 15, 2007 and until the money runs out) through one of the State-approved banks. I made all of the arrangements in advance with one of the (very few) approved banks. When I went to purchase, the dealer took care of all of the administrative parts of the loan. The best part? Not only did I not have to drive to the next county to sign the application and the letter to the State, the dealer had the application fee waived by the bank. I took out a $5,000 loan, and I'll pay it off before the first payment is due.

I'm still waiting on my $1,000 rebate check (one week since my purchase).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(msirach @ Aug 21 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]499991[/snapback]</div>
    And your asking price is? When do you plan to sell?

2. JenGwen323

JenGwen323 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yikes, I never had any intentions of paying MSRP. I guess we are spoiled in SoCal. There are plenty on the lots.

One route I checked out was the Costco price. I was quoted $500 over invoice (not MSRP) at the dealer Costco told me to go to. I'm confident they gave me the correct price. I have no clue what it would be for you, but it would be worth looking into. At the dealership where I bought the car, they told me the costco price was $500 under MSRP. There is a big difference between the two. I know they were full of crap, as the price list had expired, luckily they had a sale 2 weeks later. So you may want to double check.

I ended up getting my 2007 package 6 for $24,500. I was happy.

3. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Aug 21 2007, 10:37 PM) [snapback]500099[/snapback]</div>
    I am going to list it next week. We are taking our son back to UVA this weekend and we will have a spare car for my wife to drive.

$18,900

4. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My daughter-in-law bought a 2007 Prius last week in Massachusetts at 'the only dealer that had some in stock', but still paid less than MSRP and got a good price on their trade-in. So it's definitely possible to get them for less than MSRP. The supply in the northeast US is slim at the moment because it's the model-year changeover, but I'm sure that will change in the next 2-4 weeks.

5. Elephanthead

Elephanthead Junior Member

Supplies are getting tight, I would wait for the 2008 to start ariving in quantity, then make a deal. You don't get the dealers best price until you test drive it, try to make a deal, tell them no, have them get their managers aproval 3 or 4 times, leave, then wait for them to call. Make sure you bring a book to read or something to do cause they are under the impresion that you are excited to get ripped off, don't be, it is the rush they use to get you to overpay, you can get a good deal, but you need to be patient, and remember the dealer has to make some money or else their kids don't eat, but feed them hot dogs not caviar.

6. twilsonchicago

twilsonchicago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Aug 21 2007, 12:53 PM) [snapback]499818[/snapback]</div>
    I'm in Chicago and have an '08 on order, at MSRP. I ordered it about a week ago after a pretty exhaustive month-long search of inventories and inbounds, via internet requests to dealers as far away as (clockwise) Milwaukee, Ft. Wayne, Indianapolis, and St Louis. I was looking for a specific color and package (gray 6) and though one would pop up every now and then, it was always spoken for. (Early on, I had a chance at one, via phone call from a dealer, and hesitated. I called back 15 minutes later: Gone.)

When demand exceeds supply, supply sets the price. I'm happy paying MSRP, because I know that the dealers know they can sell these cars at that price to someone else, without waiting very long. And in the big picture, it's good that the Prius is so popular. When Toyota makes money designing and building a minimum emissions vehicle, and when dealers make money selling them, then the industry takes notice, and that's a good thing.

Tim
    Chicago

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a used on, looks just like a new one to the untrained eye and I saves $12,000 or about 1/3 off the new price. But if you want a new one that's cool, it's nice to have a new car. Good luck with it, I hope you find just the car you want at the best price ever. Some great bargaining tips on this thread.

8. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Fly to the west coast, get the car, and drive it home. What's the big deal? I saw at least a dozen on a Toyota lot in San Jose this weekend. Do an online search on carsdirect.com, using a west coast zip code, or just call the dealers direct. I don't know what the big deal of saving a few dollars on initial cost is all about. Over the life of the car, a few hundred saved is very little per year. If the price is such a big deal, maybe you should be looking at cheaper transportation, though initial cost isn't the biggest cost of ownership. I paid sticker + $500 dealer added value (profit) package (pinstripes, door moldiongs, etc.), and never looked back. That was 1 1/2 years and 40,000 happy miles ago.

9. 07seaside

07seaside New Member

I'm from Missouri and am expecting my 07 Seaside to be in on 9/4. Originally, I was going to pay MSRP because I checked with 2 or 3 local dealers and they're all selling an 07 with package #02 for MSRP.

I resigned myself to that before I even started looking. With a vehicle as in demand as the Prius is, I'm not sure you'll find a dealer willing to dicker. My dealer took a deposit with the understanding that if I didn't like it when it arrived, I got the deposit back. That's because he knows that someone will walk in 5 minutes later and buy it.
    Since talking to the dealer, I discovered the Costco discount. I'm not sure how much it is but I'll take it. I did talk to the salesperson who said we would re-write the deal to include the Costco discount.

I'm also getting my financing through the Costco discount - a better rate than I can find anywhere else.

I'm going to get an extended warranty. I usually don't but with a car as technological as this one is, it seems stupid not to. One computer component goes out and the cost is covered.

So, if you have a Costco in your area and aren't already a member, it might be worth the $45 - you can always cancel it when it comes up for renewal :)

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for a soon to be Prion?

10. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I never recommend an extended warranty for Honda or Toyota! But if you do want to buy one, you can get the
    same warranty from the Prius Store on this website for less than $1000.

11. broflcwa

broflcwa New Member

FYI. I have what I think is a fairly firm price for a package #2: $22,500. I think that is still too high--vis-a-vis the invoice price (from Consumer Reports) and a good profit for the dealer. But, it is increasingly clear to me that "what I think" is irrelevant if I want a Prius--which I really do.

In Washington State.

12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(07seaside @ Aug 24 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]501728[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. Don't get the extended warranty through the dealer... or the "maintenance package"... just say NO.
    Don't debate it, try to dicker it, just walk away from it.

Then, come here, and get it through Troy. He sells the genuine Toyota extended warranty at a special rate for PC members.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't afford to spend $37,000 on a new Prius so I bought a second hand one.
    I had 3 yards all owned by the same company competing for my business.
    I eventually got the car for $2600 under initial advertised price which was $100 under the price at time of purchase but I had them include all transfer ($70), stamp duty ($990) and registration costs ($200) at their expense. They actually lost money on the car which cost them $24,000 but they had it on the lot for over 3 months and wanted to get rid of it. People here are scared of new tech. I'm a very happy boy.
    What's even better is my wife is paying for the car from her before tax income so that is knocking 30% off the cost!!! and I pay nothing!!

14. EarthFriendly

EarthFriendly New Member

In Michigan, the Prius is fairly hard to come by, and I don't feel like paying under the MSRP was ever an option. I put a deposit on my Touring Package 4 about 4 weeks before it was delivered. The dealership is getting 8 more in their next allotment in October, and they are all already spoken for. At this particular dealership, they even force you to take the $990 extended power train warranty.

15. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EarthFriendly @ Aug 25 2007, 10:00 AM) [snapback]502018[/snapback]</div>
    Force you?
    Report them to Toyota corporate for that.

16. EarthFriendly

EarthFriendly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Aug 25 2007, 01:05 PM) [snapback]502020[/snapback]</div>
    I did. They said that they do not support that practice, but dealers have autonomy in setting prices and options. :blink:

17. greenrev

greenrev Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Aug 21 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]499818[/snapback]</div>
    I bought mine using an online search edmunds.com. I got it at $500 over dealer invoice. I had 8 different dealerships trying to make deals. It was great I feel at least I got some kind of deal. the 500 over dealer invoice was the best I could do though.

18. NcWiSteven007

NcWiSteven007 New Member

19. ronmarcusps

ronmarcusps New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Aug 21 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]499818[/snapback]</div>
    I see you've had a lot of responses to your query, but let me add my 2 cents. I too used the Costco Car Buying Service, and, at least here in the desert in Southern California, the price quoted to me by the Internet Sales Manager was $900 over invoice (not MSRP). The dealer Costco sent me to was able to find a 2007 magnetic gray touring with package 6, which was exactly what I wanted (although I had to wait 2 weeks to get it) for a little under $27k which was significantly below sticker price. The problem is they aren't making any more 07's, and at least my dealer said they still don't have the 08 prices, so you may not find an 07 in the color/package you want. It may be better to wait for the 08's, although prices are likely to be higher, what with the yen having appreciated so much in the past few weeks! So check out Costco if you are a member (and join if your not!).

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EarthFriendly @ Aug 25 2007, 03:12 PM) [snapback]502076[/snapback]</div>
    I hope you will use your autonomy to give that dealer and salesman the lowest possible scores on the customer satisfaction survey.