1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is "pedal to the metal" bad for the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jmccord, Apr 5, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 6 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]235864[/snapback]</div>
    In the EV1 we learned the secret way to defeat the traction control... you never know what you may find.

In the EV1, you just rested lightly on the brake pedal, and you could smoke the tires to your heart's content. Otherwise, the car was smart enough to allow ZERO tire slip by simply removing torque from the motor. When the brake is used, there was no reason for the torque control. Presto. Anybody tried that on the Prius yet? B)

In the Rav, Toyota permanently dumbed-down the torque at zero RPM because the fleet vehicles were wearing out the front tires too fast. Honest! We haven't figured out a way around it. The 0-60 time in the Rav is terrible, but that is most due to the torque-controlled 0-4mph zone. After that, it accelerates better than the gas version. So Toyota is likely wise to us by now. Damn cars trying to save us from ourselves! :)

2. gippah

gippah New Member

I can peel out with my 2001 Prius rather easily.

I also don't think it's a 'slow' vehicle as has been suggested. If I floor it from a dead stop, it does peel out. I only have to do that when going into a lot of fast-moving traffic or to pass someone quickly.

The 2001 Prius, kind of like the Lexus, does not feel like you are going very fast. There's a perception that you're going 20-30 mph slower than you really are. This takes some adjustment at first, especially when you're turning around a corner and you think you're going 15 but you're really going 35.