1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

is piston soak a good idea at 150mi on 2006 slight blow-by

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chris77*, Mar 19, 2024.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    News to me. The catalytic converter is more likely to be damaged by the burning oil contaminating it.
    It is not half strength, that is the amount to treat 3.9 qts of oil.
    The oil flush has no impact on those parts.

2. Chris77*

Chris77* Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have just complete research on engine flushing. There is a large camp opposed to ever doing it sighting damage that it may cause engine. Modern engine oils supposed to have detergent in them to take care of sludge issue. The PCV valve was gummed up when I cleaned it a few months ago and it might be the culprit. I am going to go slow since the problem is minor, start by seeing if an oil change might fix the issue since pcv has been cleaned. Also I might get another oil change in 6 months. After that I might just let it go and not risk the engine flush at all or maybe give it a try like a one time 150,000 miles kind of thing.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The modern formulations do not have damaging solvents. Read the label to confirm if you're in doubt.

Proceeding with caution is good though. Changing too many things at once and it is hard to know what really worked.