1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

<<IS PLUGGING THE CAR IN AT NIGHT A HASSLE>>

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by horton the elder, Feb 16, 2006.

?
  1. 1. (YES) plugging in my car at night would be extremely easy for me to remember to do and not inconv

100.0%
  2. 2 (NO) Having to plug in my car everynight is way too much work and too much to remember even If I w

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What about people who don't own property where they *can* plug
    in? How does this "survey" help them in the slightest?
    _H*

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Yeah, I'd remember to plug it in...

...most of the time anyway...

3. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think that you are dealing with someone who doesn't have a clue but is trying to find a get rich quick thing. I also agree that the capitals are anoying, like a kid standing on the couch screaming at you. Use for emphasis on a single word not the whole topic.

Maybe we could get the government to put sockets in the roadways as well. Then when we are stuck on the 405 we can just have the plug drop from the bottom of the car to the road socket, might be tough in the rain though...

I do have another theory about HE, it might be squid's alter ego......
    Avatar's are changing rapidly around here

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

It isn't. I only have one i.d. here.

Although I do admit I know how to use proxies and such, I do not have any "alter" ego.

:)

5. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The plug in capability is not for the existing Prius. What most Prius owners are hoping that Toyota will produce a PHEV (plugin hybrid electic vehicle) Prius soon. I believe the Toyota survey is bogus. Any survey would be misleading because most people do not understand the system and what the benefits will be. About 8 months ago, figures from a paper given by a professor of economics from the University of Chicago business school (ranks with Harvard) stated that the Prius would cost equivalent to gas 0.15-0.40 cents per mile when running on grid electricity. Now, those figures are probably 0.20-0.50; the price of gas has gone up much more. Although the Prius has regenative braking, almost all of the energy consumed by the existing Prius comes from the gas engine. There have been many posts on this difficult to understand subject. The Doc, DanMan32 and John have explained it as well as anyone can. One problem that needs to be overcome is a battery with the proper weight, energy density and cost which will result in a reasonable return on investment (ROI). The greenies wil complain about all new polluting power plants that will have tobe built. That same Univ. of Chicago paper states that the southern CA grid can accommodate one million PHEVs if they plug in at night when the demand for electricity goes down. So, the country's total existing electric grid can accommodate several million PHEVs. If Toyota can get the PHEV Prius to go 55mph on electricity and 50 miles on a charge with a ROI of 3 years, the demand will be unbelieable. Toyota can supply 2 types of Prius: the existing one and the plugin. You can buy a PHEV Prius now from an after market supplier in CA called Calcars. They modify your Prius for $10,000 which voids the Toyota warranty.

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not sure if the survey would help you, though having OTHER people plug in would. Think about the better good here. Do you want others who *can* plug in, to keep burning gasoline instead because there are some folks out there who can't plug in? Regardless, the gasoline infrastructure was not born overnight. There are ways to get power just about everywhere. It is already WAY more prevelant than gasoline infrastructure could ever hope to be. The people out in the country who live many many miles from a gas station can make their own electricity on site and not have to visit the station unless they're headed into town anyway.

No, I don't know how you'd vote here, but I do hope it makes you consider the possibilities.

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Only the ones who drive their SUVs to the "No war for oil" rallies.

The other option, is that we can grow our own power. We don't actually need more power plants. Currently, at least 1/6th of the electricity generated in the state of CA is used for pumping or refining oil. Think on that for a bit.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You'd be surprised how many folks don't realize that. More importantly, most NEV (Net Energy Value) statistics carefully ignore that crucial point.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Even better would be an inductive pad that you park the car over and it charges that way. :)

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think a plug-in hybrid would be easier to deal with to folks who live in cold climates, such as MN, ND, SD, and most of Canada. They already have ingrained behavior to plugging in a block heater.

As far as forgetting to unplug, a few companies make force-eject receptacles that automatically eject the plug when the vehicle is started. For something like a firetruck or an ambulance, that’s kind of important.

Most emergency response equipment is always plugged into “shore power†to power air compressors and battery tenders. For equipment like fire trucks with air brakes, low air pressure could mean when you get ready to go, and put your foot on the brake to shift into Drive, the Wig-Wag drops down in front of your eyes and they have to sit their waiting to build air pressure. While the house burns to the ground.

I’m sure there are other companies, but I have experience with Kussmaul:

http://www.kussmaul.com/auto%20and%20air%2...ts%20index.html

http://www.kussmaul.com/091-9b-1.html

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yay! Somebody else who understands. :)

The oil industry is the single biggest consumer of electricity in the USA. I just cringe when I hear people talk about how much "extra" electricity we'd need to charge EVs. Your gas car is already using as much, if not more, electricity than my EVs! And I skip the gasoline part completely.

Anyway... for the inductive charger business, there is NO reason that can't be implemented. No precision parking needed. Two fo my three EVs were inductively charged. Just like your toothbrush. Nothing precision about plugging them in! And as for "unplugging" before driving away, the cars would typically have an interlock - same way you can't shift a normal car into D without having your foot on the brake. If the paddle is in the port, you can't drive away. Of course they forgot to implement that on the Rav, and several chargers have been broken this way. Dumb.

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Huh? The plug-in idea is a get-rich-quick thing? And who are you talking about not having a clue? Seriously, I'm confused...

13. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    very.

14. LisaMarli

LisaMarli Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I would love the option of going totally electric for my Mom Mobile runs (all short - under 10 miles total). The poor car hardly even warms up and my sucky MPG for a Prius shows it.

Then I would still have the gas option for those longer runs (like to Disneyland) that I make.

By-the-by, although I live in California, the main electrical box is right next to where I park the car. I don't think finding a place to plug it in for the night would be a problem.

We won't even think about going all electric because I do make longer runs on a regular basis (well not to Disneyland but to other members of the family all over the Bay Area (70 miles round trip, some times longer) and I didn't want to worry about charging a car, I some times forget to charge my phone :p .

Lisa

15. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Being able to cut down my trips to the gas station from is great.... in my maxima it was more then once a week, with the prius it's less then twice per month (it seems), and if I could plug-in it would be every 2-3 months! That would be awasome. I mean, man would that be cool.

And the fact that a "gallon' of electricity is cheaper then a gallon of gas makes it even cooler.

regarding not being able to plug-in at night: A plug-in might not be for you BUT you could consider pluggin in at work. That way you would even get free gas. I'm sure many companies would be happy to pay that increased electricity bill for the green'nes factor.

16. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

So what about those who don't have a garage to plug into? Would I just have my electrician come over and add an outlet to the outside of my warehouse to plug in to?

I wish I had a garage to put my Prius in but I just have warehouses on my property and they are ALL full :(

17. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

You want to fix problems you have to fix them. For plug ins that means making
    charging stations available everywhere.

All employers and all apt buildings must comply too or there is no point to any of it.

18. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I'm sure the slumloards won't like that!

19. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Sure.. just get one of those water hose holders with a plugin nearby "either in or out" .....and wrap an extension cord "heavy duty" and place it where you park your car. It would slow you down an extra 15 seconds at most everytime you arrive or leave in your car. I don't see it as an inconveinence at all.... just try not to forget and unplug....this is something you "do" want to leave home without!

20. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Ohh Squid, your gettin sexier everytime I see you!