1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is poverty a root cause of terrorism?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by formerVWdriver, Jul 1, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 4 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]473051[/snapback]</div>
    Are you referring to the plight of the Palestinians while under Jordanian and Egyptian rule or just post june 1967?

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jul 1 2007, 09:26 PM) [snapback]471235[/snapback]</div>
    Some folks like to major in the minors. For example, you talk about speeding on the freeway, and eventually you'll get a ticket. There's someone who'll be quick to say, 'I know this one fellow who has driven fast for 35 years and never had a ticket". Talk about virtually no rain in the Mojave desert, and they'll say, 'I drove thru one time and it was POORING rain' ... etc.

We have the same thing here. Most muslim terrorists are uneducated, and impoverished. Here we have the example of, "I heard of these doctors who were terrorists". Majoring in the minors. Great. I don't get it. Why do some folks do this? Please don't respond, "I know some folks who NEVER do that" ... or I'll hang myself.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Jul 5 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]473521[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I am having trouble with your post. Do you mean that a terrorist needs to be educated to be effective? Or do you mean terrorists need an educated "leader" to be successful?

I believe that most of these guys are educated. They can read and write. They understand command structures. They understand as much technology as necessary. The brits got REAL LUCKY last week - that same mistake about arming the weapons wont be made again. The islamofascists also displayed an ability to adapt - they used physicians to infiltrate their target country. They also upped the ante - although the weapons did not go off - they were fuel air bombs and shrapnel - the damage would have been devastating.

I would never ever underestimate out enemies - especially those sworn to our destruction at the same time willing to give up their own lives.

And as to whether or not they are impoverished - it is NOT their economic status in life that leads them to terror - it is their ideology. There are lots of dirt poor Budists/Catholics/Jews/ - why dont we hear about them blowing themselves up in their local pizzerias - there are a lot of poor Tibetans - yet they for the most part are not suicide bombing their oppressors. And if poverty were the key ingrediant to terror - West Virginia is still a safe place for most of us to travel through as are some carribean islands and parts of south america. Nope, it seems to me that there is one religion here at play that has cornered the market on terror and conflict - with or without using economic status as a tool to further their ways.

4. Essayons

Essayons Essayons

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Jul 5 2007, 11:55 AM) [snapback]473521[/snapback]</div>
    In Iraq the people who are suicide bombers are the 'patriot' class of people (The middle class) or they are Arabs from other countries that have money and the education to be able to 'fit in'. Saudis are by no means impovrished but they are a large number of the suicide bombers in Iraq. We caught two Syrians because they had very strong Syrian accents.

The poor are just trying to survive and look to the biggest kid on the block to protect them. Many thought it was the militias or al-Qaida, but now they are learning that these groups won’t let them just live and want to impose Sharia whether they want it or not. Our experience was that it was the educated urbane Arab that would blow themselves up while the poor would protest and chant slogans at the urging of the instigators then become fodder for the few.

Just remember one thing: The bombers rarely attack soldiers who are armed. They attack 'soft' civilian targets.

5. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its a combination of poverty, sense of injustice, and religious justification.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Essayons @ Jul 5 2007, 02:07 PM) [snapback]473558[/snapback]</div>
    So true. Terror by definition avoids those that can defend themselves and who are prepared and expecting to be attacked like a soldier.

And your other point is very valid - if we allow iraq to develop an economy with widespread participation that will prove to be a huge force towards democratization. if the iraqi's truly wanted us out of there, we would know about by at least two different means:
    1. There would be huge public protests there, and
    2. the US media (print, electronic) would be broadcasting it loud and clear and over and over and over again.

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 4 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]473051[/snapback]</div>
    Honestly, I don't condone suicide bombing in any way, shape or form... but if you look at these people who live in the refugee camps, you can't help but feel that they've got absolutely nothing to live for. The land that their parents/grandparents/etc had owned for thousands of years is gone, all because the UN made the decision that a bunch of refugees should have it instead.

When a few generations have had nothing to live for, what else do they have other than violence? It's a sad cycle, and at this point, I just don't see any easy way out.

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jul 5 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]473581[/snapback]</div>
    Your lack of historical knowledge is breathtaking.

Here is a quote from a report involving Abbas from today:

Palestinian Authority president, Mahmoud Abbas, explaining the evils of the brutal Hamas takeover of Gaza from his own equally brutal Fatah, finally admitted that Arabs and Moslems are latecomers to Israel and the surrounding area.

"One of the oldest churches in Palestine, which stood long before our arrival [in the region], was looted and set on fire."

If you could, please provide me with an historical summation of the Palestinian people - you might find it educational, perhaps even eye opening. Make sure you go further than 2,000 years ago when the Romans enslaved the Jews in Israel. Thanks.

9. Essayons

Essayons Essayons

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 5 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]473575[/snapback]</div>
    Well, we did have huge protests early on. But they stopped some time in 2004 and now we don't see any large ones in the hot zones. During (2004) the Karbala, Najaf uprising by Muqtada al-Sadr and his group the locals got so mad at the Militia thet during the battle they protested Muqtada al-Sadr and his thugs for imposing Sharia. I think that the locals might still do vocal protests but they are afraid of bombers. They used to think the US soldier was the suicide bombers but now they have figured out that it is fellow Muslims.

On an interesting side note when convoys traveled through Ramadi, and Fallujah everyone would stop what they were doing and stare at us. Now they just go about their daily lives. I guess it doesn't hurt that we now have the backing of many of the local tribal leaders.

10. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 5 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]473594[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto. I'm specifically talking about the Mandate period... do you know much about that? Anything?

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jul 5 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]473599[/snapback]</div>
    Which Mandate. But go ahead. A quick synopsis concerning the history of the Palestinian people would be great - try wiki or something real easy......... and remember, you need to get past at least 2,000 years ago when the Romans invaded Israel and enslaved them.................

If you are referring to the most recent mandate of last century - thats not even old history - jeeeez. there are still people alive that remember that. i dont think too many people from Masada's time period are still with us :D

12. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 5 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]473606[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I know there are people who remember the last mandate... and don't you think they might still be annoyed about that?

13. mwalsh

mwalsh Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jul 2 2007, 11:05 AM) [snapback]471607[/snapback]</div>
    You've got to be kidding right? The IRA was/is an extreme left-wing, anti-British, anti-PROTESTANT, organization.