1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Prius actually a "gay" car?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ThrillAddict, Nov 4, 2005.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ha, I know.
    I need to remember how to change that. I'm 17 now, almost 18. :)

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Autoerotica? No, wait.....:p

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That_Prius ...

Probably the biggest reference to the Prius and 'gay' is good 'ol Jeff Dunham's (sp?) comedy routine from several years. I would imagine you've seen it. His line, 'sounds like this .... mmmmmmI"m gay...' and he mentioned the Powder Blue color, forgot Toyota's name for it.

The implication and stereotype is that 'real men', whatever that is, drive fast, powerful, or big vehicles, why ... because they can, can, can, ya know. The fallacy is that 'real men' can handle the power of big vehicle, like in the military, a Humvee or something and also that 'real men' really don't care less about how much gas, oil or energy they use.

We all know the Prius is pretty soft on power. Just the way it is as there's hardly a way to get higher power and this 50 MPG efficiency unless you have one big fat battery and plug-in capability. Although the Camry hybrid seems to be somewhat of an exception.

------------------

As for comments about gay ... I'm not gay or anything, just straight.
    I don't have a problem with gay people, they've been in society and will always be. I'm sure I pass some everyday in public and don't even know it.

I do have a problem with public displays of affection between men. I've noticed Hollywood is trying to be coy and slip in things here and there. For example, when Neil Patrick Harris received an award and they kept the camera on him leaning over to kiss his boyfriend/spouse. It wasn't necessary to show that, and I didn't like seeing it. Had to turn away, and that got the 'ewwwww' reaction from me.

Years ago, I was sort of training to be a Ballroom dance instructor, which didn't work out. During the time, there was a successful teacher who'm I really didn't suspect or care he was gay. I did notice another man would come in to see him and the vibe was that he wasn't just his friend. But they didn't put on displays, so it didn't matter.

I've seen videos in sex ed class in college showing men acting very abnormal, not acting like themselves, trying very hard to be overly effeminate. That I think is absurb and sign of a seemingly confused person. I got tired of Nathan Lane acting so effeminate in The Birdcage, walked out of that movie. Maybe it would be funny now, ?

1 person likes this.
  4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your two statements here seem to contradict each other.

Unless you've got something against any and all public displays of affection.

5. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand, with me, I'm so oblivious haha. I don't notice gay guys unless they throw themselves out there. I just go on about my day, but with me, I appear to be feminine, but if you met me, I'm very much a boy. I love cars, not just the Prius, I love four wheeling, and I'm not all "in your face" about it like some gay men are.

I'm even uncomfortable with public affection, unless I'm in a big city, like Boston or Chicago, I'll hold my boyfriends hand but that's it. & even then, I'm edgy. I personally don't agree with public affection between anyone, weather it be a woman and a woman, man and a man, or a man and a woman, sure, hold hands, and absolutely, give them a kiss every now and again, but I don't like to see anyone making out and rubbing all over each other. I feel like that should be done behind closed doors.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    little off topic, ... most conventional cars have higher power/weight ratio and 'naturally' can accelerate better than Prius.

What's annoying is I get in heavy suburban traffic and sometimes get leadfoot behind. I don't want to go too slow, so I accelerate a little more than normal to keep the peace ....

but, the result is you see the waste - too much acceleration, then too much braking because you hit the next Red light. When many more people years down the road are driving smaller, more efficient, advanced tech cars, the mix hopefully will make for less wasteful driving, maybe not.

For now, often have to put up with other driver's who don't have a clue, or rock on, do your own thing and they can change lanes.

7. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    affection between 2 people, affection between animals.. its al affection and its al good
    as long nobody is having sex in public i am ok with affection..
    but i guess there is a thin line between affection and sex.
    i personally dont think so but apparently people can not seem to see the difference
    kissing in bublic is affection having sex in bublic is over top affection.. wel not affection but just plain sex.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My view of public displays of affection:

Man and woman: If the woman is attractive, it annoys me because it reminds me that I don't have anyone to be affectionate with. If the woman is not attractive it doesn't bother me because I am not envious of the man.

Man and man: Doesn't bother me at all because I'm not envious of either. They can make out all they like. They can strip naked and have sex in the park and it won't bother me.

Woman and woman: If either of the women is attractive, it bothers me because, as in #1 above, I'm envious.

If I had someone to be affectionate with, who I really liked, and who reciprocated, I would not be bothered by any of the above combinations.

If it's socially acceptable for a man and a woman to hold hands, or kiss, or to strip naked and have sex in public, then it should be socially acceptable for same-sex couples to do the same. Anyone who thinks that same-sex couples should be more circumspect than male-female couples is showing bigotry.

Lots of folks do things that creep me out, but that doesn't give me the right to take away their human and civil rights. Eating snails, for example. That totally creeps me out.

Maybe the "gay car" comment comes down to a common misconception of gays as being effeminate. (Some are, others are not. And not all effeminate men are gay.) People who like muscle cars see the Prius as being weak. And the car uses less gas so is easier on the environment. Some gearheads view the moderate power and environmentalism as being effeminate traits, so they call the car gay.

I'm reminded of the old song When Johnny Comes Marching Home, which contains the line "And we'll all be gay when Johnny comes marching home." Was this Civil War song-writer predicting that at war's end there would be a drastic rise in homosexuality? :rolleyes:

9. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awe, Daniel. I THINK YOU'RE A SEXY MANNN. :p

No seriously though, you seem like a really fun person and any lady would be lucky to have you. I think I've said this before. :)

10. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ back in the 1800's that word meant "happy, joyful, lively" ... the definition has changed.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People's perceptions of PDAs.....no, not the old Palm devices, but Public Displays of Affection are different depending on what part of the globe that you're standing on.
    In Europe it is not at all uncommon to see two women, holding hands while they walk down the street. They're presumed (by Europeans) to be friends.....not "frriends--wink!", as they say here in the South.
    Of course, bi-ped transportation on the continent is far and away more common than it is here in the USofA.
    Most interesting of all (at least to me) is the fact that Arab men also indulge in the same form of familiarity from time to time, and let's face it.....they're not the most G&L friendly society to be sure! People over in the sand-box also have a very different idea of what constitutes "personal space."
    Americans tend to be much more stogy about some things, and much more informal about others. That's what makes travel so much fun sometimes. ;)
    I'm not so much put off by two men (or women) panting and groping in public as I am by two people doing so.
    Take it inside folks.
    Cats and dogs may lick themselves and each other in public, but they also piss and crap on the grass, and I don't know if I'm "progressive" enough to accept that as normal public behavior for humans just yet. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks, T_P_C. I have lots of friends who say I'd be a great partner... for someone else. Always for someone else.

Remember that line from Through the Looking Glass, where the queen tells Alice that as a queen she'll get "jam yesterday and jam tomorrow, but never jam today"? Well, lots of women think I'd make somebody else a great husband. I have the qualities that people say people should want in a partner, but not the qualities that people really want in a partner. And the Asperger's probably doesn't help, either.

But if I was 40 years younger and gay, I'm sure I'd like you, too. ;)

1 person likes this.
  13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not just Europe. I see opposite-sex and same-sex couples holding hands, hugging, and kissing fairly regularly. It's really not a big deal. The more intense stuff is usually reserved for more private places, but there are always exceptions...

Don't let your age stop you. :p (I'm kidding, Daniel.) :)

Maybe it's just my observation, but large age differences seem to be less important among homosexual couples. Generally, the 'gays' I know don't seem 'confused' at all. They've dealt with whatever issues they may have had, and have moved on to become content, well-adjusted people. It's those who simply will not accept homosexuality who are confused and maladjusted.

2 people like this.
  14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I'll restate - I'm not ok with seeing two men kissing in public, on the TV, or anywhere else where I see it. They can do whatever they want discreetly, or in a gay bar or whatever, that's fine, but when it's thrust into the public eye, like said, the stunt kiss on the awards show, Neil Patrick Harris, that's crossing the line.

Consider this - in SF, they still have the 'Gay Pride parades' every summer. I know gay marriage is still illegal here in CA, but when and after it becomes legal, do you think they will still have Pride parades?? If so, why? You don't see straight people having parades about their sexuality.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you're on point with this.

16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If it's ok for straight couples to hold hands or kiss in public, what's wrong with gay people doing the exact same thing?

Yes, it's made me feel a little squeamish when I've seen it before, but that's my problem, not theirs.

1 person likes this.
  17. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Enough said. :)

I will add though, this is America, the home of the free, we all have different beliefs, but that's what makes us unique. Gay people are just like you. There's nothing I do out of the ordinary. I enjoy doing things like everyone else. I don't come home and brew up lotions ans potions haha.

So even though some don't agree with public affection between gay couples weather it be a man or woman, then okay, but that's not going to stop them. I do it out of respect for other people, that's why I don't make out in public, I'll hold hands but that's it. I would expect straight couples to do the same out of respect. It's pretty much the rules of feminism.

I look at it this way, love knows no boundaries.

18. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wish PriusChat would stop being so weird and double posting my things.

19. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Asking the question, "Is Prius actually a "gay" car?

My reaction: Somebody's stuck on stupid.

On the other side of the coin, and equally stupid:

Ballsy Prius

2 people like this.
  20. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, I wonder how you can tell? They all kind'a look the same to me!:p