1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Prius actually a "gay" car?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ThrillAddict, Nov 4, 2005.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I was a kid, a Camero had a label as a woman's sportscar, labeling any guy who drove one as less than macho.

SS,DD...

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Come to think of it, I've been particularly happy most of the day.
    All the same, I checked "no."

Now, when Johnny comes marching home, I suppose we'll all be gay.

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That is interesting. Not that there is anything wrong w/ it. Not at all. No criticism intended. But must make for some interesting dilemmas - like do you hunt, or not? Well, no answer req'd. I suppose we all probably have our views that are in apparent internal conflict. Anyway, that is far from the topic at hand. Prius is neither "gay" nor "straight", right or left, etc. It's appeal is in the eye of each owner.

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This is way off topic, but what does hunting have to do with being pro-environment?

5. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is always amazing when gender or gender preference is assigned to nonliving entities. People will refer to "straight," "bi," "gay," girl's," "boy's" etc. I ask in response, "How do you recognize the vehicle is "straight," "girl's," "boy's," etc?

When you see two Prii (or two bicycles or skates or skis) having sex, call me. I want to take a photograph to confirm their orientation or gender. The whole concept of a "gay" or "straight" vehicle is absurd and the question or comment tells more about the person asking.

6. agill

agill New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think its a car suited to people who care about saving their money at the gas station, who care about the earth, and who like to drive a car which is way advanced in comparison to most cars on the road today. And if that is considered gay, then, well, much is left to be desired of the mental capacity of the people who think that way.

7. DanP

DanP Member

Well expressed. To answer your poll question, I am a boy who loves girls. As for the Prius being a "gay" car, my impression is that gays tend to be more environmentally conscious than straights. If my impression is correct, then gays would seem to be overrepresented among Prius owners, making the Prius, to that extent, a "gay" car. For the same reason, the San Francisco Bay is a gay bay. As you are aware, this is a rather nonsensical use of categories. But what the hell! This is Prius Chat, where nonsense presents no barrier to the free expression of opinions.

8. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO, those who feel the need to plaster such labels on certain cars are of two crowds, the neantertals that cannot come up with any other arguments against the car they're trying to descirminate against, and those who are struggling with their own sexual preferences. The latter are typically trying to repress their own "questionable" feelings by berating them.

Personally, I have much bigger reasons for choosing a particular vehicle than by whether or not a certain percentage of the models buyers tote a different way of life. Anytime I hear that kind of trash talk, I politely point out that two openly gay co workers where I work both drive Chevy trucks.

9. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    gay in the sense it's happy to have great mileage and save gas! :p

10. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I though we would just feel gay.

I have a cousin named Gay, her mother's name was Merry and she has a daughter Joy. See what problems you can inflict on you family by not being able to spell.

Anyway she claims she could never get picked up in a bar. Some guy would hit on her and she would say " I'm Gay" and that woudl be the end of it. Of course we told her she was in the wrong bar.

Anyway I have to agree with the people who say the Prius is bi not gay.

11. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Depends on your viewpoint I suppose. But you could argue it has nothing to do with it an in certain instances I would agree. Anyway, back to cars... :)

12. Trojan

Trojan New Member

I'd actually say that I fit into the same "mostly centrist, but liberal on environmentalism and more conservative on gun control" category. As for hunting, I'm not a big hunter but once a year I go on a father/son hunting trip in Montana w/ my dad and some other fathers/sons that we grew up with (I'm 26) and shoot ducks and geese. I don't think hunting and environmentalism are in opposition w/ each other (as long as you're eating what you kill...not to mention the fees for the hunting license go towards protecting the environment in Montana).

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only vehicle that has ever led me to wonder about the sexuality of its owner, as if it was any of my business, is the pink hummer down the street.

14. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I'm not gay and Christine isn't either.

15. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

16. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I think your poll is OK, Thrill Addict. No one has to participate.

BTW, since you're gay, ARE there other cars that are known in "inner circles" as "gay cars"?

I knew one "flaming fag" (no offense, I'm 100% for G/L/B/T rights) in college who drove a '61 Thuderbird which he had had re-painted bright pink, and had re-lined the interior with some kind of white, long furry-like stuff. THAT was without question a gay car. Of course, it was heavily perfumed, too. I think it was Tabu.

17. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Someone mentioned an Audi A4... Oh sooo true... :lol:

18. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If gay meaning it's an unmanly/macho car, I've had more women ride in my Prius than my friend has in his Boxster S by a factor.

I'm think the appropriate response to your friend in this situation is "you're gay!".

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I checked with Belle and she is not gay today! She is defiantly DC but if I put that adapter in the socket and produce AC is she AC/DC? What does that mean for me and what will my wife think. It is all too confusing. I think we should merge this thread with the one we had a few months ago asking if the Prius was a "chick magnet"! We could get to new levels of complexity on who is doing what to whom and how often.

20. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As a "species", no, but some individual Prii are gay.