1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Prius actually a "gay" car?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ThrillAddict, Nov 4, 2005.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

but is he gay too?

2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Considering the success of that gay cowboy movie, perhaps the F-150 would be more of a gay car than the Prius :p

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

AHAHAHAAHHAHAAHA....

:rolleyes:

Yup, you knew I'd bite...

4. Mystery Squid

I wonder what John Wayne would think of "BrokeCRACK"....

...or, if we were to exhume his body, would we find him face down?

:ph34r:

5. Mystery Squid

I do not know, it could go BOTH WAYS :lol: , he might actually be highly enthusiastic about the idea....

:ph34r:

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

In my opinion another "media determining what we think" item with the fact that Brokeback Mountain is a "smash success" with $67 million in domestic gross and King Kong is a failure with $215 million in gross. If even every gay person in America had paid $10 bucks to see it, wouldn't the total be much larger? Or how about every gay male? The total would still be greater. ;)

Another movie about a very sensitive subject was at $366 million on its 69 day of release, but didn't receive nearly the press at this stage of it life on the big screen.

7. Mystery Squid

I'm with malorn on this, lots of hype simply because it sort of goes against social norms.

8. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

You're ignoring the fact the movie was made for straight people not gays.

9. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Do you think it's a chick flick? I dread the day I take her to a movie and she says 'let's see Brokeback Mountain.' <shudder> Of course, regardless of who actually pays to see that movie, the image of cowboys and the whole macho routine has been altered f o r e v e r

10. Mystery Squid

See, SEE??!!!!! :angry:

Don't be so susceptible to the hype (PROPAGANDA) generated by a few!

It's going to take a LOT more than a movie about homosexual cowboys to alter MY perspective of cowboys...

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This discussion has made it's way into OT mode. I'm moving it to FHOP - you all can continue discussing later tonight.

12. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If that be the case, I'm with you! :D

13. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just because it made money does not mean its good nor accepted. Alice Cooper crapped on stage and turned around and ate it.. that made him famous too!

14. andyman68

andyman68 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have any of you criticizing the movie ever seen this movie?

Personally, I think it wasn't so much a love story but more about a bunch of people that can't communicate. I'm sure though that a lot of people can identify with movie. And yes, it is destructive if people don't feel free to live their lives as God intended.

Andy

15. Schmika

Schmika New Member

This is a silly/obvious statement. If you made a movie FOR the Gay community with the budget most of these movies take, you would go broke. Just not enough customers. (It isn't 10% of population)

16. andyman68

andyman68 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

When I went to see the movie, it wasn't opening night. It was a noon matinee and I was surprised to see the theater packed considering it's playing in 2 theathers in our city. It opened here about a month ago and is still playing. I must admit that I am surprised. There aren't that gay many people here so it has to be appealing to a wider market. Also, the theater didn't appear to be packed with gays that day that I went (or maybe my gaydar was malfunctioning that day).

Andy

17. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I went with a bunch of my girlfriends (all of us are straight). There was a very mixed group there in the Hillcrest (considered a gay preferred area of SD).
    The movie could have been about any 2 people who for one reason or another (race, age, religious differences, etc.) cannot take their relationship into the world that they want to live in. It clearly was about the fact that sometimes love is not enough.

And my car is very gay, she doesn't have to sit in cold weather like her poor northern cousins......

18. pcjr

pcjr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 17 2006, 02:17 PM) [snapback]211244[/snapback]</div>
    According to the film's producer James Schamus it's a chick flick. When he rhetorically asked Ang Lee "You know who we're targeting this movie for?" Ang Lee said, "The gay audience." Schamus said, "No. Women." Today I was at Walmart, the DVD is on sale for $16.87. A couple (man and woman) walked by, and the woman grabbed the DVD and pointed at it like she wanted her boyfriend or husband to buy it.

19. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ohhhh ok a bunch of straights went to see the movie butt crack mountain, so that makes it a straight movie?? LMAO

Maybe they have closeted feelings about the subject and the movie appealed to them in some way....

20. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcjr @ Apr 6 2006, 03:07 AM) [snapback]235747[/snapback]</div>
    Just wanted to comment, what's up with that? I swear, it took all of what, 1 month to go from the big screen to DVD?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Apr 6 2006, 06:16 AM) [snapback]235756[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: