1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Prius an Econobox?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Thai, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Take away the gadgets and the cars are a similar level of construction and suspension. They even have the same basic engine. Twist beam rear suspension screams econobox. You don't normally find that on cars except for low end econoboxes because it's a cheap compromise.

1 person likes this.
  2. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the crux of this conversation is that the Prius attracts more than one type of buyer.

Whereas a Corolla will probably attract many people who like the economics of it, it won't attract many people who are looking to buy a vehicle for the image and perception of it, unless you buy the S trim.

The Prius will attract people who like the economics of it. After all, it puts the savings into the back end of the equation, though not as much in the front end.

Secondly, the Prius has and will continue to attract people who are attracted to its image. The image is green, eco-friendly. This is why it has attracted drivers such as Leonardo DiCaprio, Cameron Diaz, Ashton Kutcher, etc. who are not hurting for money.

Third, the Prius has attracted people who wanted the HOV stickers. You know those bastards (i kid) who drive in the carpool lane alone, mocking me and tailgating me and my passenger. This is going away, but will come back with the PHV.

Fourth, some will say the Prius has these techno-gadgets. Some people may have said, hell ya I need a car that can park itself. If you absolutely can not survive without LKA or DRCC, I suggest you retake the driver's test. Well, whatever. I mock in jest. Just my opinion. I don't need those options.

And many more reasons, not just the econobox argument. We see now that the Prius is attracting tuners and modders. You may like the car for all of the above.

So I think what we want to say is which group or fringe group we belong to as it pertains to the reason for Prius ownership.

3 people like this.
  3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like this thread is a bit of a fight between the II's and the V's ...

I've usually seen the Prius listed as a 'family car'. Journalists lists cars by compact, midsize, hatch, wagon, etc ...

I've driven Prius II and V ... there's a good bit of difference there

Leather seating/wheel, quite a bit nicer audio built in, nav, 3 door Smart, fancy rearview mirror, more responsive steering, tauter road feel with different wheels, LED headlamps, fogs, heated seats, etc...

$7.5k difference but the experience is quite nicer.

Just work on the little things like bring up and pad that door armrest, 'nuff said about steering wheel, but there's an airbag in there!

1 person likes this.
  4. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    What is this take away the gadgets crap?

Take away cruise control, auto power windows, auto climate control, sat/nav, bluetooth on ANY car and its an econobox....GEEZ

2 people like this.
  5. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So, econobox is based on luxury offerings? If you take the 3series engine and suspension out, then is it as good as my Prius? I am not sure that you can use that logic. Why is a 3-series worth $35k? It doesn't if you look at the interior or the crappy stereo or the fake leather, right? Hell, it does not even come with homelink!!

How are we judged? A $35k Prius V ATP is still a $35k car...depending on what you care about, right?

Ok...economy car? A car that is economical? Well, still, i would like to see where official testings/comparisons/etc that lists the Prius as an economy car.

According to JD Powers:
    "Touted by Toyota as the world’s first mass-produced hybrid vehicle, and listed by the EPA as the most fuel-efficient gasoline car currently for sale in North America, the Toyota Prius is a midsize, hybrid gasoline-electric hatchback."

Consumer Reports tells me that the Prius is a sedan...not a "small car."

Cool. Ecobox. Isn't the Volt the most expensive?

I think that this is a very good description.

Does economy car or box come with auto AC, cruise control, etc. standard??

Hahaha. In fact, i have NEVER started a post by telling people how good my car is unless i am asked or in a debate regarding that topic. But, you see II owners all the time putting down upper level Prius and calling them overpriced, etc....even when the topic is about something else. They seem to like to get it out of their system...repeatedly. I wonder why?

1 person likes this.
  6. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    II vs V, I've never thought about it that way.

BTW it's an extra $11k+ for a base II to a base V with ATP.

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The thread has long deviated from the OPs simple question. Is the Prius an Econobox? My gut, and the internet, tells me the answer is no. After all, wikipedia says;
    But here's my stance on the other irrelevant points that have been addressed;
    - The term econobox is loosely defined. Not all economy cars are econoboxes, but all ecoboxes are economy cars.
    - The Prius is an economy car, from trim levels through II-V.
    - Most people can't notice the difference between trims. We may. But we're on PriusChat so we know this car inside and out.

1 person likes this.
  8. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Twist beam? My Sienna has it. A Mustang has a similar solid axle. Lincoln towncars used to have one (still do?).

The twist beam design is not for econobox. Torsion beam rear suspension is more than just being cheap...it saves space. Is a Volt an econobox?

Why would one need IRS in the Prius? Is it design to be a canyon carver? Why do you need IRS that intrudes into cargo and robs space? I believe that the torsion is also light weight too.

And with the battery where it is, i am not sure if IRS would be a good idea...since it may rob the battery of space. Is this why the Camry Hybrid has such a small cargo space? The Prius battery is buried beneath the cargo area...the Camry's battery is above it. So, overall, the packaging of the Prius may necessitate torsion over IRS.

9. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks...but did you really have to act like an nice person to come to my conclusion? ;) And it was pretty clear what this discussion was about...econobox, not economy car.

10. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My comments in bold.

11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah but you continue to believe that people are jealous of your V, soooooo......:confused:

1 person likes this.
  12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WADR, if you would, put in suggestions for improvements for the next generation Prius' also while discussing technicalities.

There will be an all-new regular Prius in 4 years ya know. It will outclass the current one.

Accord and Camry each sold 30k units in April, Prius sold 12k. What will be done to improve that?

13. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually, YOU deviated from my initial question.

Still, for my information, can you link me where G3 Prius is noted as an "economy car"???? You sounded so confident that i am sure that you can pull some links for me. Damn, 99.9% of the world thinks so...wow, i am sure that it is easy to find! Even Toyota Marketing thinks so.

Again, thanks in advance. Stop changing topics please...and focus this time!

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That definition makes me think of the Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro & Chevy Metro cars of yesteryear. Econoboxes for sure, but good cars they were :)

Mike

1 person likes this.
  15. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the label fits...then, ya know, it just fits. :) II owners will continue to post irrelevant posts bashing the upper levels...what can i tell you? Psychology 101?

Have i ever bashed a lower level Prius in an irrelevant post?

As for me, i am happy with my one year old car, but hated when jealousy gets the best of men. It is rather pathetic if you know what i mean. ;)

16. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Accords and Camrys are what people know for years. Hybrids are still seen as alien cars. It has nothing to do with the Prius being still "raw."

In addition, Prius are made in Japan. Camrys and Accords are made here. I wonder how the sales are over in Japan? Are they closer?

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just so you know Thai, at least my Accord is not all that noisy inside. On rough highway, it doesn't have the ability to squelch the tire noise, but on smooth roadway, it is certainly decent. They do put a little something in the exhaust note that chimes in as well. IIRC, Prius is a little quieter overall, but it's been a while.

18. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I know...but, i have ridden in my partner's Accord a few times...so, this is why i know. Hondas in general are not very good with noise. My friend's Crosstour is better though.

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe some people think that a Prius is an econo-car based upon how little it costs to drive it not taking into account the cash laid down at sale time or the payments of a financed car :confused:

Bottom line, we are all here because we have some passion for the car. Who cares if some refer to their car as a econo-car, shitbox, luxury-mobile, whatever. It's a Prius that comes in various trim levels that each owner has chosen for whatever reason's.

Mike

1 person likes this.
  20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    off topic, but

Spend some time looking at the change happening in CAFE standards. From large car buyers perspective, there will be MANY more 'econoboxes' showing up for sale.

CAFE standards have been 27.5 MPG since 1990 until 2009. They are heading up to about 39 MPG in 2020. Actually, Bush signed new standards in 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.