1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Prius C about to disappear in 2019?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by gigoalejandro, Feb 28, 2018.

1. gigoalejandro

gigoalejandro New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I´m interested in purchasing a Prius C, but I had found some blogs that speculate that Prius c 2018 will be the last one....

In other places I have found some rumors about Prius C receiving it´s first major redesign

¿Any clues about this rumors?

2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the v left the US, who knows?

The C doesn’t really sell any better than the V but there is likely some sort of logic at work behind the scenes

gigoalejandro likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    i don't think we know, but why would you let that affect your purchase decision?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. gigoalejandro

gigoalejandro New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for your answer. Well, now I´m not so sure about my decision because (I think) it is not a very good idea to buy a car that is about to drastically change or disappear since these factors make the car lose value.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good point, i hadn't thought of that. i would research resale values of similar cars. honda fit or nissan versa?

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, you might not be able to pin down a straight answer in regards to this.
    Toyota would be hesitant to officially announce this, as they don't want potential buyers to have the very concerns of the OP.

With The Prius v, exiting the stage, I can see where the next logical question or rumor would be 'What about The Prius c?".

I don't know.
    Sooner or later every model line ends or get's made over. The original Prius was a sedan.

I have some slight regrets over my lifetime that I did NOT get a end of model line vehicle. For example, I liked the original Scion XB's. The smaller, boxier version. Before they made them larger. But I passed on buying one, because of rumors of the next generations superiority, then found I really didn't like the next Generation version.

I sometimes regret I did not buy a Honda Element when available new. Always liked that vehicle.

In any case, no incarnation of any vehicle get's produced forever unchanged. My bottom line is if you like the Prius c? Then get one.
    Of course, I kind of like rarity as well.. Kind of neat IMO to have the last of a line.

Even though Prius production has not stopped, every Generation is really like the death of the previous. Parts are not typically interchangeable in most cases.
    But I would not hesitate to buy a Gen 3 Prius, even though production has obviously stopped. A lot of people today, still buying Gen 2 Prius.

Even IF it turns out this is the end of the Prius c? You'll still have a well vetted vehicle, that has been produced in great number. And if you like it? -You like it.

Keep it 6 years or more, and in most cases, you're in the same boat with everyone else, driving a vehicle that is no longer being produced. Even if the nameplate survives.

Mendel Leisk and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. roadrunner

roadrunner His (blue) and hers (black).

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
  8. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    let fuel get up to and stay at $3.00 per gallon or slightly more then people "may" reconsider their purchase of 12 mpg, $40K pickup

roadrunner likes this.
  9. G-Echo

G-Echo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    They don’t make my FJ anymore but I’m not overly concerned about that either. Cars come and go...

10. WiscPriusc

WiscPriusc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    While the C has never been a hot seller in the US, it’s resale value has stayed high for what it is. Reliable fuel efficient cars will always be at least average at keeping resale. Remember too that this is a World car. So parts will be available regardless as to US sales. In Europe it is the Yaris hybrid and in Japan the Aqua. I believe the number one selling car in Japan for several years (there are tax benefits to small cars in Japan).

roadrunner likes this.
  11. roadrunner

roadrunner His (blue) and hers (black).

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
  12. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Holy Crap!
    With sales that low I can see why Toyota would indeed kill it off for the US market.

13. Brandon Most

Brandon Most Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Maybe the redesigned Corolla hatch/Auris/IM is thought to be enough of a replacement since I believe it is getting a hybrid power train option.

14. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    BUT.....sales of most ALL new cars are dropping in the US recently.
    An emphasis on leasing has caused a glut of good late model used cars being available.

roadrunner likes this.
  15. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The new camry hybrid (with it's power and fuel efficiency along with availibility that the hybrid accord was never able to meet) is making me very itchy to trade in my C for it.

Geo Dude likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Especially the hybrid Camry LE.

17. So, basically, immediately once the Gen4 Prius became widely available, sales of the Prius c dropped by more than 50%.

Duh!
    *facepalm*

Who wants to take out a loan on a $21K hybrid when there's a newer sleeker one with way better fuel economy and a bigger cargo space for a few grand more?

Maybe Toyota needs to remarket the Prius c to go after the "college town" demographic. Drop the price to $15K and see what happens.

Geo Dude and roadrunner like this.
  18. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Couldn't agree more.

Isn't the C's tech getting old? (had heard it was basically a Gen 3) It could definitely use a radical redesign such as what Honda did with the newly re-introduced Civic Hatchback. 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback - The Bold Hatchback Car | Honda

Maybe if it got an overhaul like that with new tech? I would think there would have to be a market for it, or Honda themselves never would have brought the hatch back. (Have to admit, I love that new Civic hatch)

19. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have been looking at videos showing the new Corolla hatch which is very good looking and feel like Toyota is gonna stuff hybrid components in there and... VOILLA they can get rid of the Prius c
    Yes, I have been looking at the videos showcasing the new Corolla hatch and well it looks AMAZING (in My opinion) it looks very futuristic and I think Toyota Is gonna stuff hybrid components and voila a Prius c replacement

Geo Dude and dubit like this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but it appears they want to target the Corolla hatchback to the younger or tuner crowd so it'll never get a hybrid option in North America (lest it taints the marketing ploy).

It is available with two hybrid options in Europe (where it's marketed as the Auris) - a 1.8 litre HSD (same as Gen 4/Prime) and a new 2.0 litre HSD system with quite a bit more hp and supposedly is the more dynamic model.