1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Prius C about to disappear in 2019?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by gigoalejandro, Feb 28, 2018.

1. zen_

zen_ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't be too worried about massive depreciation with the current car because it's A) Toyota and B) a very popular used car for delivery / rideshare drivers that want minimum operating cost per mile in city driving. That's the only reason I have one TBH. For the average consumer though, it's an outdated Yaris with exceptional fuel economy. The new Corolla hatch looks to be a much better car for regular car buyers.

Geo Dude likes this.
  2. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    In my mind, having an out of production vehicle is more desirable.
    For all we know, C used car values may go up.

3. Absolutely_Red

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I just traded in a 2012 Camry XLE Hybrid for a 2018 Camry XLE V6. Before I did so, I test drove the 2018 Camry Hybrid several times. I was underwhelmed. Right now, they're having several issues with this latest refresh, and the worst issue is the "grabby brakes." It's not present on the ICE Camrys; only the hybrids.

The whole "Scout/Entune" issue is huge. It uses Scout Navigation which is a frickin' nightmare. And there are frequent complaints that the bluetooth has an echo (which requires an update).

And having driven the Camry Hybrid (2012) for six years, I wasn't blown away by it. By 2016, the plain-jane I-4s were getting better gas mileage than my hybrid.

I have two cars. The 2016 Prius C (shown in my avatar) and the 2018 Camry V6 (with every option). I am in love with my little Prius C, but the Camry Hybrid was disappointment.

Geo Dude likes this.
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity on subcompact cars in the USA in general. Sales are low, profits very low. Ford's getting out, GM was never to be taken seriously.

When we started shopping, the Yaris was the top contender. I was disappointed that the latest refresh was minor styling only. That car is hobbled by its 20th century 4 speed automatic, IMO. A new bodyshell touched up for the latest crash tests wouldn't hurt either.

In effect, we bought a Prius c because it was a way for us to buy the Yaris of the future today.

We expect to own it "that long" and wear it out, so resale & rarity weren't serious factors for us.

With regards to discontinuation of the P c? Pay attention to what is going on with the Yaris (within Toyota) and a few of the other small cars out there.

Geo Dude likes this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wow. Good timing. I'm about to go out today to shop for a replacement for my Ford Fusion Hybrid and will be looking at the Camry Hybrid.
    Now will be looking a bit closer.

Seems as though both the Camry and Malibu hybrids have "issues" and I'll probably go back to another Fusion......as I really have no serious complaints about it.

Geo Dude likes this.
  6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Better hurry... Ford's pulling all of their car line, except the Mustang. The Focus is becoming a CUV.

7. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Fusion will be discontinued soon

8. Absolutely_Red

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I agree with this. The Prius C is a unique little vehicle and sales in the US have been sluggish in the last couple years.

Look at the value of an AMC Gremlin today! :D

Geo Dude likes this.
  9. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I was all set to trade in my 2012 C for a 2018 Camry Hybrid until I learned about the Scout navigation fiasco. As it turns out there is no way to get integrated navigation, Android Auto, or Apple Car Play in the Hybrid. Not in any option package or at any price. It's Scout or nothing. And as bad as Scout is, in 3 years they start charging a yearly fee for it. Apparently Toyota didn't learn anything from the disaster 5 years ago of trying to charge people a monthly fee to access the Internet in their car using their own phone's data plan. They are still trying to monetize Entune in one way or another.

Geo Dude likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's ridiculous. In Canada, the XLE Hybrid gets Integrated Navigation while the LE and SE get Scout GPS. And I'll be interested to see how many complaints there'll be in 3 years' time when owners cross the border and get a hefty bill for data roaming in the US while using Scout GPS.

Geo Dude likes this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought Toyota added Apple CarPlay.

12. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm....can I buy a Camry in Canada? I'm only a few hundred miles away :)

Apparently some of the sales people at US Toyota dealerships are promising navigation in the Camry hybrid and not fully explaining it. Some people prefer using an app on their phone for navigation, and those buyers know enough to ask about Apple Car Play and Android Auto when car shopping. But anyone who just asks "Does the car have navigation?" almost always means integrated built in navigation.

Scroll down to the bottom of this link and you can read the comments from frustrated shoppers and some buyers who found out after the fact. Personally, navigation is one of the things I would want to see during the test drive, but not every car shopper is that diligent, and they trust the sales person.

What's the Difference Between Connected and Integrated Navigation on Toyota's Entune System?

Geo Dude likes this.
  13. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have heard that it, and Android Auto, are being added in the 2019 model. No word on integrated nav.

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I heard they were NOT adding Android Auto due to Google's customer data sharing requirements.

15. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hadn't heard that, but it's not surprising. Harvesting personal data is a huge business these days. No company wants to give up an advantage, at least not for free.

All I am looking for is integrated nav. in a hybrid at a reasonable price. Would rather not go to Honda or Hyundai for it, but may have to. Hard to believe that across our northern border I can buy the exact car I want, but not here. Will hang onto my 2012 C a little longer and see how 2019 shakes out.

Geo Dude likes this.
  16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We bought a C Two and added an aftermarket navigation setup. The Prius C is one of the few vehicles on the market that enjoys full compatibility with aftermarket infotainment/navigation systems. So we spent a few hundred bucks and got a better system than anything Toyota sells, and in 4-5 years we can replace it again with whatever is current at that time. We did this before on older cars and it's a fantastic way to enjoy a given car longer, and that saves money.

Really we are just harmonizing the electronics product replacement cycle with the vehicle replacement cycle, and it works.

Geo Dude and Brandon Most like this.
  17. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am very happy with the nav and the entire entertainment system in my C Three, so while looking for a larger hybrid to move to I was dismayed to find out the 2018 Camry could not be bought with nav. I did look into the aftermarket but could not find a nav/entertainment unit for the 2018. Might be too soon for the market to react to Toyota's blunder. Will keep my eyes open and maybe look again if Toyota doesn't make the change in 2019.

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They offer 2 subscription-based nav systems on the HyCam. I doubt they are going to give up on possible subscription revenue after the 3 year free subscriptions.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, why not? Just make sure you follow the required steps closely and have all your documents ready at the border. It works out since the exchange rate is in your favour.

When the exchange rate was closer to parity, there were quite a number of US-spec cars making it across the border. (I even saw some taxi drivers with US-spec Prii!)

Geo Dude likes this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It looks like there would be a 2.5% duty too.

Importing a Motor Vehicle | U.S. Customs and Border Protection