1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Prius Past It's Prime?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fillerup, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    When and where do you drive it, Paul?

Are you on the weekend stock-car circuit?

2. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    camry??? no-never! the camry is a very popular car..... there are soooo many camries on the road....they appear dated to me!.......the prius is kewl & slick.... so its defiitely for me......it is the tech car of the millineum....
    but becuz the camry is such a good faithful car.....it should appeal to those that like that style.... i think there is room for both..... long live hybrid life!
    :lol:

3. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

The Camry is like a soccer mom car... well... once you factor out the big honking SUV driving soccer moms. :D.

(my apologies if i've offended any actual soccer moms out there)

4. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think soccer moms tend to stick to SUVS or Mini-Vans.

The Camry is a reliable reasonably priced sedan that seems to fix a huge range of drivers. I know people between 15 and 70 that drive it. It was always a top choice for my wife's family for new drives or inexpesive used vehicles.

5. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius is definitely not past its prime nor is it 'dated' by any means. I would consider the Camry (while a good-sized, reliable and reasonable average family car) to be far more dated than the Prius- in looks, functionality, and 'geeky' fun features. I think the Prius has a very modern, sleek look and personally find them to look quite cute; if a car truly has the ability to be 'cute', the Prius does IMO. :)

7. coloradospringsprius

Thanks, fillerup, I needed a laugh today after getting a $700 plumbing bill.

But seeing "Camry" and "mystique" in the same sentence ... !

8. fillerup

fillerup New Member

Believe it or not, mainstream Americans aspire to a Camry (or other similar icons such as the Accord). It's almost a right of passage to own one at least once in one's life. There's mystique in that.

It's a logical progression and good business for Toyota to hybridize the Camry (here in America). It will allow new technology to become accepted by mainstream America. Putting technology that many people have some doubts about into such an icon continues the mystique for another generation or two.

Looks, of course, are subjective. The Prius's body is getting dated for me (not ugly, just dated). It is not as exciting to look at as it used to be. That's not surprising since it has been out for a few years now. It happens with all automobiles. It's time for a styling change. This doesn't negate the positive virtues of the Prius but serves notice that time does not stand still for any automobile in this competitive market.

Yes, Priuses are selling like hotcakes this month and perhaps for the next few months. But the next new monster ride is just around the corner and ironically Toyota's own Camry (I have seen posts that say it is a 4 cyl, not a 6) will probably put a huge crimp into Prius sales.

I suppose, the Prius will always be loveable to many as the first large selling hybrid. But I think that Toyota will move forward and leave the Prius behind in a few years time. It has done its job already of introducing America (and now the world) into the wonders of the hybrid.

9. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Prii have been selling like hotcakes for a couple of YEARS now, not just this month or for a few months. There have been waiting lists as long as 6 months in some areas of the country and lists (whether it be 1-2 months or even back up to the ole 6 month wait) will continue for Prii for some time (maybe even a couple more years?? Or more?), regardless of the release of the hybrid Camry. :blink:

10. fillerup

fillerup New Member

Let's hope you're right about the future. It would be a sadder car world for me to see unique vehicles like the Prius swallowed up by the commonness of the Camry types.

Unfortunately, Toyota's general success as a company is geared toward the common end of the car spectrum, not the niche market.

11. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius is unique, for sure. Its uniqueness was one of the things that drew me to it besides the obvious like lower emissions, higher mpg, fun gadgets on the inside, the roominess of the interior, and the hatchback. I feel more comfortable with its size, though it has nearly comparable interior room to the Camry and Accord, but it is more compacted. I don't feel comfortable driving a Camry or my husband's Accord-they feel too 'big car scary' to me, if that makes any sense. I can never get a good feel for the exterior dimensions, especially when parking. It's a small step up in the vehicular world for me, from my 9-year old compact Saturn. :)

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've been a car enthusiast my entire life and have never felt that was the case...

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think the Camry will affect Prius sales that much unless people can get a Camry faster than a Prius. Also, they appeal to two different customers. One is looking for a traditional sedan that just happens to have HSD. The Prius will be for those looking for an edge. They want something different, something unique and naturally, they're also techy.

e.g., my dad is a pretty normal dad, not that techy but not that behind either. He likes the Prius but if it wasn't for my bro and I, he wouldn't have got it. He likes his (first) Camry so much that he'd rather get a Camry Hybrid even though it isn't as efficient as the Prius. Of course, he's been trying to drive the Prius every now and then trying to perfect the technique.

Also imo, the Camry is a "premium" vehicle. People that buy Camrys expect a certain level of refinement and quality of materials. The dash and such used in the Prius cannot be used in the Camry. Compare the front seats, the Camry ones are much bigger and thicker. The suspension (on our 02 XLE anyway) is soft and isolates the passengers from the road compared to our stiffer, cheaper torsion-beam type rear suspension. Toyota has outdone themselves with the launch of the 02 Camry. I've tried the Accord and it doesn't exude the same feeling as the Camry does. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty nice family sedan but the Camry makes you feel like you've better off financially, like you're driving a more expensive car for a Toyota price.

14. pennyprius

pennyprius New Member

I think the Prius looks very modern, not dated in the least.

15. Spartan

Spartan New Member

There is no doubt that the Camry H will cannibalize sales from the Prius model. The Camry will be made right here in the US and will be able to meet faster delivery production time and volume numbers than the Prius. In addition the body is completely redesigned for 2006 so I do not think it will be the plain looking car that a lot of people have in mind. Throw in the space of a full size sedan and wagon down the road and you have a winner tough to beat. Also the Hybrid version will have a 4 cylinder engine. I drove a 4 cylinder Camry earlier this year and was impressed with the torque and the peppiness of the VVTI engine. I was llso impressed with the Corola engine too

I do not know about you but I will be putting a deposit down for the Hybrid Camry next year.

16. Trojan

Trojan New Member

I don't see how you could possibly think a Prius is more "tired" than a car like a Camry that's been around forever.

17. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is a '64 Mustang past it's prime? = No, wait, they just made the new one just like the old one.

Is a '60 Cooper Mini past it's prime? = (See Mustang Reply above)

The thing about the Prius is, it's already a "Classic". It's got a straight shot first ballot round ticket to the Automotive Hall Of Fame.

There is only one Prius, and believe me, a Camry is no Prius.

If you want a Camry, then the Hybrid Camry is icing on the cake, but if you want a Prius, you won't look twice at a Camry, no matter what's under the hood.

18. Spartan

Spartan New Member

I want Both :p

19. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Form follows function. The function of a Prius is to transport up to four (occasionally five) medium sized people with little impact on the environment compared to other cars, and as economically as possible. It seems to do this admirably. I expect it is still out in front as far as design goes. I expect to see more cars that resemble the Prius.

20. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

When comparing the TCH (Toyota Camry Hybrid) to the HAH, it's important to remember the HAH uses Honda's mild-hybrid integrated motor which barely effects fuel economy. Toyota's hybrids, on the other hand, are full hybrids that use the electric motor all the time, even on the highway when cruising. A V6 hybrid Camry, while obviously not attaining Prius FE, will still do much better than the Accord Hybrid while accelerating much more quickly than the Prius.