1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Prius Past It's Prime?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fillerup, Nov 2, 2005.

1. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

The HAH only does ULEV II, so it doesn't address emissions compared to the conventional Accord. In fact, the conventional 4 cylinder Accord comes in a SULEV for california and the eastern states, so the HAH isn't even the cleanest Accord you can buy... Plus the HAH arguably doesn't give you better mileage than the 4 cyl Accord.

Toyota's HSD is designed to reduce emissions drastically... all HSD and THS cars and SUVs are SULEV at least... Toyota's V6 SUVs get SULEV easily. This means that the Camry Hybrid should also easily get SULEV... but we should be shooting for much better than that. Will the Camry Hybrid be able to achieve AT-PZEV? If it's a 4 cylinder, there is hope.

2. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    EPA numbers for the Accord Hybrid (A5, 3.0 liters, 6 cylinders) are 28 city, 37 highway. A Camry Hybrid would be similar in engine size and weight so 40 MPG seems unlikely.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe he's talking about the HSD4 Camry

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We will have to see what features show up in the Camry Hybrid. I REALLY hope they don't stick the 6 cyl in. 90% of the HAH MPG bump is the variable cylinder management (don't fire 3 when they aren't needed). Unless Toyota does the same thing, a 6 cyl Camry would get maybe 10% better than its non hybrid sibling. A lot of the reason we get 50+ in our Prii is because we have a Geo Metro size gas engine for 'normal' driving needs and a decent HP electric engine for boost when the ICE needs help. If Toyota made a Camry with all the same features as a Prius, the competition between the 2 would come down to those who like hatchbacks and those who like sedans. They could put out a 4 cyl Solara Hybrid too, for the "2 door" crowd. There is no reason the 3 couldn't get nearly the same mileage.

5. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are those that prefer a recumbant bicycle (especially those with lower back problems). I prefer the more upright, and within the upright configuration, Trek 5200 series is very aerodynamic. I make use of aero bars to further streamline my upright position.

6. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Most of the conventional Camrys sold are 4 cylinder. A 4 cylinder version of the hybrid could achieve over 40 MPG...

Reports seem to indicate that the Camry will come in a 4 cylinder version.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have to say that the hatch back was a major reason that I bought the car after environment, economy, and gadgets. I also think (or hope?) that as the HSD is distributed through out the Toyota line that the Prius ( need I mention " to go before" ) will continue to be the beta test bed of the Toyota line. If that is true then I will be back. The Camry is an OK car and has an impressive record and following but it is not a Prius. It will be seen weather the Camry as delivered is oriented towards economy or performance. For me the Prius has all the performance I need right now. My only wish is a better, tighter suspension and handling.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They will have both. One for the mileage market, the other for the power market (note the new Passat has a 280hp 3.6 litre engine). So, a 280hp Camry Hybrid that uses fuel like the regular 4 cylinder or better will be appealing. Of course the 4 cylinder HSD that sips fuel like a Yaris would be just as appealing. The only thing I hope is that they don't force people to buy the V6 version to get certain features such as nav. Make sure all features are available to both HSD models and let people choose based on price and engine not features.

9. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If distinctive appearance is the primary consideration, then I'd have to say that the Prius is just now approaching its prime in the inter-mountain states. You just don’t see that many of them around, compared to the west coast.

10. coloradospringsprius

The Prius is probably not even near its* prime because, in the congested world of automobile marketing, it's** a marketing bonanza. How much of marketing is an attempt to get the public to believe there's a difference between near-identical products A and B? How different, really, are Pepsi and Coke? The Ford Escape and the Mercury Mariner?

In contrast, the Prius is not a different body bolted onto the same chassis. It's Toyota's real-life progressive sedan: It's the greenest car they make; it's the platform on which they can try out their newest technology. This all but guarantees it the support of a passionate and affluent segment of the auto-buying public. If the Prius remains an authentic, functional, recognizeable brand, the only threat to its continuing success is a Corvair- or Pinto-like design flaw. Of course, this is a possibility with cutting-edge technology, but so far Toyota has played its hand brilliantly.

* Possessive pronoun, no apostrophe.
    ** Contraction of "it is," needs apostrophe. Sorry, it's the editor in me.

11. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, there will not be a 6 cylinder Camry Hybrid. Toyota has already released the official announcement that it'll be a four cylinder. They paid alot of attention to the flak that Honda received for the HAH. As for 40 mpg, I would expect nothing less. My FEH is rated at 36 city/31 hwy. If that box can post (and easily beat with my driving style,) those numbers, the Camry had better well be able to beat it, as it's aerodynamics are FAR better than any SUV.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cd of current Camry is 0.276
    Cd of current Prius is 0.26x
    Cd of Corolla is 0.284
    Cd of Insight is 0.25x
    Cd of LS430 is 0.25x

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I want to reiterate that I think the Prius is around for a while, at least until we go from the rapid innovation to minor cosmetic changes stage. The Prius is uniquely positioned to appeal to a certain market, one that is willing to innovate, be patient, and problem solve. Look around here. I think that Toyota can use the Prius during this development phase to the next plateau in personal transport. The Camry is a main stream car and will have different specs. I hope that the Prius will continue to push the envelope.

14. VaPrius

VaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think mainstream cars is the next big test for the HSD and I think the Camry is the perfect place to do it. If the HSD Camry was available I would have given it serious consideration. The biggest criticism on the Prius is that it is small. I'd also like to see an HSD Sienna.

15. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    LOL...Your post actually made me go back to my posts to make sure I used the proper grammar. I did...I usually try my best to use the correct words, if I'm not in a hurry. :)

16. igotthewantsforprius

hi there, my gramma and spelling will kill u if u r into correct grammer and spelling, I dont even do the caps usually, anyway my name is terry and i am new here , how r u all.. im from central florida.

17. igotthewantsforprius

i dont think i am doing this right, nobody seems to answer and it takes a while to get my reply out, not like a chat room,, I must learn the tricks here.. i ordered my prius a few days ago...

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree. We can always look towards the Prius for the latest hybrid technology that we hopefully might see on future HSD (and even non-HSD) cars. A 4 cylinder Camry HSD will really make you wonder why ever get a V6. With the current generation, they made the 4 cylinder more powerful since in the past, you really HAD to go for the V6 unless your budget didn't let you or fuel mileage is your number one priority as that old 2.2 litre was a bit weak. Now, there's more reason to go for the smaller engine since, at 157hp (is it 154 under new standard?), it's powerful enough for most city driving. With the arrival of the HSD Camry with what I'm guessing is ~200hp, there really is no reason to go to the V6 unless Toyota bundles things we want and made it only available on the V6 (which would be dumb).