1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is replacing speakers enough to improve sound?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by blizzardwhat, Feb 28, 2014.

1. blizzardwhat

blizzardwhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I own a 2010 Prius II (with standard radio) and I really do not like the sound quality of the radio/CD player at all. My brother suggest I purchase a new unit but I'm afraid it won't look good with a new dash kit and whatnot, so that idea is on hold. I recently received brand new speakers as gifts. Do you think the speakers alone would improve the sound quality, or do I need to replace the whole unit? I'm trying to determine whether I should have someone install the speakers alone first, or buy a new unit and get it installed with the speakers at the same time.

2. leegart

leegart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I replaced the stock speakers on my 2013, Model III with Pioneer 6x9 oval speakers on the front door and Pioneer round speakers on the rear door and it made a world of difference. I have good quality, balanced sound. I don't need a subwoofer pounding base into my eardrums. Normal, balanced base is good enough for me.

3. psteudlein

psteudlein New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have 2013 Prius non-JBL system stock HU, and replaced all six speakers. The overall sound up front was a little better but for whatever reason, the rear speakers can barely be heard, even when the fader is turned all the way to the rear.

Have others noticed this problem, who do not have an amp?

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "I recently received brand new speakers as gifts. Do you think the speakers alone would improve the sound quality, or do I need to replace the whole unit?"

Depends on the speakers gifted to you and how much improvement you want.

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There will be an increase in sound quality. Stock speakers were chosen for their low cost and not sound quality. It will only be a slight improvement though as the stock head unit is the major limiting factor.

iPhone ?

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All 2010 Prius sound systems are junk, the Prius II (ref to OP) is easier to upgrade though.

7. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I originally did just door speaker upgrade with infinity 6x9 and 6 in rear.
    Yes the rear speakers hardly help the sound even with balance. If the balance is to far rear it brings the sound stage far back, which I am not found of.

A real budget savings first step I would do the front 6x9 doors only, for a start.

When I opened the rear door I noticed a wire and a hole where a tweeter up high could go but the door panel would need a hole made. I'm sure the sound would improve from the rear with a component speaker set.

I have a non-jbl so I wonder if the JBL has an amp configuration to help the rear speakers??

8. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I put Polk 6x9 in the frot, 6-1/2 in the rears, I have a Kicker amp under the drivers seat. I have the stock HU. I got great sound, rears are clear. It took me about a week to adjust the amp gains to get the sound I want for best front to rear balance.

9. psteudlein

psteudlein New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One

Did you replace the dash speakers?
    How are your dash speakers wired with amp and front door speakers?
    Do you have a sub?

- Paul

10. JGI

JGI Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any aftermarket set of speakers will be an upgrade to the stock paper speakers, but since you are going to go through the hassle of pulling out the door panels, you might as well put some quality speakers in there. I prefer components set - 6.5 midrange in the door and separate tweeters on the dash. It makes a world of difference. If you are on a budget, pick up a good coaxial set. You can get a good pair of Infinity Reference 6.5 coaxials for about $50 at Crutchfield and even that will make a big difference.

The only drawback of coaxials is that since the tweeter is mounted on-axis with the tweeter, there is a big possibility that all your sound will distinctly come from the doors, as opposed to "high up front", as is the case with the components set, since it allows you to mount the tweeters in the dash.

Both of these speakers will run off of your stock headunit just fine. However, you won't get great dynamic range, loudness, and clarity out of your speakers until you add an amplifier.

frodoz737 likes this.