1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Richard Dawkins afraid to debate the best?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Aug 25, 2011.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I guess we've discovered a potential target for your next trip to the shooting range.

1 person likes this.
  2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    "Pull!"

:D

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why refuse? Because there's no end to the stream of swirly-eyed nutballs and fanatics, and life is too short. Read and understand Dawkin's books instead of harping on about who is and isn't the master debater.

Creationists have no factual legs to stand on, and so it always comes down to rants about rhetoric and personalities.

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dawkins and others legitimized Creationists when they attacked them.

Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens debated William Lane Craig...they are being intellectually honest - will Richard Dawkins?

I meant Dawkins could read this and plan accordingly for a debate with Craig > http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=392

5. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Chuck, I'm glad you're making an attempt to challenge/criticize atheism. But an ad hominem attack against an atheist is NOT a criticism of atheism. I think you can do better. What are the disadvantages/fallacies of atheism itself? Where does it fail, socially, intellectually, ethically? Set forth how atheism specifically harms or impedes social progress. Do that and you'll establish a legitimate basis for honest discourse.

Religiosity is neither dormant nor passive; it deeply influences societal direction, and therefore imposes an OBLIGATION on all members of society to KEEP AN EYE ON IT, to criticize it, to change it, to redirect it and even eliminate it where it inflicts genuine harm.

Similarly, the religious regard atheism with a wary eye, and are so deeply disposed against it not ONE OF YOU would knowingly vote for an atheist for any public office.

So, spell it out. What, specifically, makes atheism a problem?

4 people like this.
  6. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    airportkid,

Before I answer, the motive for this thread was when the Bible Quotes thread went to bashing, therefore this thread was to state atheism/secularism can also be discredited. For several months I had considered such and had refrained until recently....really think such threads attempting to discredit any belief should be avoided as it just alienates.

It not so much atheism itself but the manner of it's promotion I have an issue with - the New Atheism movement in particular. [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Atheism]New Atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    While many have not heard of the New Atheism, it definitely lives in Fred's House of Pancakes, where atheism is not merely defended but attacks religion constantly. I could better understand those attacks if people like myself were proselyting members to come to Jesus, but until this year I was quiet. Think the same could apply to a number of religious members - they became a lot more vocal in response to attacks.

I see little good from this as the ill-will closes minds instead of opening them, nor does it promote the image of non-religious people - that would include influencing people on the fence. Insisting on a topic known to be so divisive is unlikely to put their promoters in a good light.

My issue is not with atheism apologetics, but this war on religion.

If there is one thing about atheism specifically I have issue with, it's with defining morality. Yes, I'm aware that Sam Harris says you can be non-religious and moral and know there are such people. My concern is the blurring of what moral is. For obvious matters like murder with malice, I'm sure all would agree that's wrong. When it progresses to both the start and end of life, increasing secularization since the 1960's has blurred when human life starts and when it's appropriate to let it end. Yes, various religions/sects debate those issues - I contend secularization advocating individuals to be their own moral agents has had some unpleasant unintended consequences. For example, there is a gender imbalance due to sex-selection abortion in many parts of Asia. A Study of Sex Selective Abortion in China | CHINAYOUREN

1 person likes this.
  7. Shin Chan

Shin Chan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Off topic but what I would love to see, any sport team that looses and a microphone is shoved in front of one of the team members, to have the say God wasn't with us he was rooting for the other team... That's why we lost.

8. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like this quote...

1 person likes this.
  9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Athletes who point to the sky after scoring, or publicly thank their deity of choice after a win, are extremely offensive. It takes a special kind of arrogance to assume that not only is 'god' on their side, but has nothing better to do than personally assist one individual win a stupid game.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it really so different than a 'war' of any one religion against another? Do you have similar issues with believers promoting their ideas? How do you feel about missionaries and evangelists?

Funny, most atheists have issues with religion claiming moral authority. :rolleyes:

11. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Anything is open to being discredited, and there's every reason to do so, if done honestly (where "honestly" means refraining from deliberately specious/disingenuous argument).

Here we disagree completely. You're attempting here to eliminate fully half of all discourse, all satire, all parody, all criticism. Look, nearly 90% of your posts in these religious threads assert your belief that criticism is ONLY counter-productive, which is a REFUTATION of my belief that criticism is often effective. Should I demand you cease making such assertions because they conflict with MY belief?

Tough patooties, buster. Deal with the fact that acting on some of your beliefs do REAL damage to society, and society will speak up and cry foul when religious belief
    --- violates the United States Constitution and imposes a de facto religious test for public office as a significant population segment refuses to even consider voting for anyone solely on the basis of either atheism or being of the wrong sect,
    --- withholds medical attention and pharmaceuticals from people helpless to escape such bans, mostly children, on a belief that prayer is the morally superior treatment regimen,
    --- denies equal treatment under the law to segments of the population based on religious criteria said population is often not party to,
    --- attempts to impose religious dogma as a replacement for science education in the public schools,
    --- makes public pronouncements that natural disasters are divine punishment, thereby discouraging the flow of aid to victims from people who think aid is undeserved,
    --- and so on.

If you get upset when people express disdain, disgust and condemnation for the mindset that makes the horrors listed above possible, that's YOUR problem. It would be a MORAL LAPSE to NOT speak and act against such sociopathic actions - AND speak against the corrupt ideas that inspire them.

The examples of "morality" I see exhibited by religiosity are to my mind repugnant and deeply IMmoral.

So who's right?

90% of the "defense" thrown up in the bible quotes thread is assertions that the passage cited isn't saying what it says but something else. Never mind the intrinsic absurdity of a "moral guidebook" so poorly written it requires interpretation, ON WHAT BASIS DO YOU ARRIVE AT THE INTERPRETATION? You can't say the bible because you're saying it doesn't say what it appears to be saying, it's saying something else. HOW DO YOU GET TO THE SOMETHING ELSE? What informs that?

Whatever it is, it CANNOT be the religious document. And all that's left when you eliminate the religious document is the secular.

3 people like this.
  12. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is going to sound a little strange given the tone of my response below but I want to acknowledge your honest response to declaring what you see as a problem with atheism, and I appreciate your sincere and obviously thoughtful discourse, and apologize for neglecting to say so in the response itself.

13. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ I knew we disagreed on a number of things, but the depth is maybe greater than I anticipated. {sigh} I wasted my time on the last couple of posts being civil - expecting a better reply than you just gave.

It would be absurd if someone said all Muslims want to be suicide bombers - terrorists, yet you paint all religious people with a similar paintbrush as being immoral.

You view religious people like that politically incorrect saying: "The only good Indian is a dead Indian." I almost believe if you were the admin, the Terms of Agreement on registration at PC would require not believing in God.

When I joined PC five years ago, it was to learn more about the Prius....for four years I was silent about people like you that seem to think this is the secular subforum of Beliefnet dot com - something like that.

All the persecution directed against non-religious people you are comfortable directing against religious people at PC that did nothing to prompt it.

Since you apparently don't believe in an afterlife, I'd think you sensibilities would direct you to enjoying your life instead of spending a huge part of it on flamewars here.

14. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    airportkid,

I posted my reply before your last post attempting to moderate it.

I tried to be diplomatic and give you an answer and feel like a complete sucker.

Why should I ever attempt to give you a thought out answer again? You're convincing me all you want to do it to fight people like me and NEVER stop until I leave PC, or become a militant atheist, or forever provoking me to fight in an unbecoming way.

15. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To make your case and refute mine.

I see what religiosity does and it makes me angry. You see me assail religiosity and it makes you angry. Alright, do justice for your anger. Dismember my arguments. Rebut their logic, rebut their premises, rebut their conclusions. Show why what you believe demands it be believed in. Show why what I believe is a chimera, a sham, faulty.

But above all quit complaining! That's Palin's job, not yours.

1 person likes this.
  16. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No one demands that you believe but we are asked by God to at least make an attempt to make known His love and care for mankind. I admit some are overzealous, annoying or just plain loopy but I'm not so certain the same doesn't occur among atheist too.

I personally see atheism do all the same things you abhor in Christianity. I'll use Christianity here since that is the one belief so often attacked as well as the belief system that answers the charges atheist level against religion or a belief in a supreme being in this forum.

FYI: I see you and your fellow atheist do nothing but complain here APK. I'm wondering why you don't think Chuck should be able to speak out against those that constantly attack his POV or belief? After all you and the other atheist here are largely unprovoked yet constantly put up deriding threads against believers their beliefs and POV's that puts up most of these threads against Christianity.

I've seen numerous charges that Christians are hateful in this forum. Yet several times now I've offered to do a post by post comparison of the hate, derision, mocking and ad hominem attacks leveled between the two sides but so far I've no takers. I'll throw down the gauntlet for you too, care to pick it up? :D

You seem to believe that atheist are better people than Christian's what is your criteria and how are they better? Because I sure don't see it unless the only criteria you judge by is unbelief.

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Even among those who aren't over zealous, many of them have no class or taste in their approach. Plus, after a few decades putting up with theists making their attempts at spreading the word, it gets really, really old, no matter how well meaning.

As far as atheists and agnostics go, in real life I have seen few of them engage in discussing religion with theists unless a theist brings the topic up.

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ? Huh? Or perhaps the individual(s) are giving God His due for the wonderful talent they have. Good grief.

19. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're apology was a sham.

I give you a thought out answer, then you attack it and demand me to do it again for your little online Spanish Inquisition.

You rant about me complaining - airportkid, what have you been doing the last five years?

You badger and DEMAND me to answer you - PC is not a belief/religion forum as much as you wish it to be one, and I did not join it for that.

I now see why you agitate on the net so much - you would not be tolerated very long in person. You have horrible social skills, then blame it all on who you argue with, telling them the are never right and stupid, etc. And you are oblivious to how your behavior undermines your message.

I will end this post with a word time and time again you are utterly incapable of understanding....

Peace

20. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here's another example of why this subject should be moved to a "special place" (it's own forum)
    One person states exactly what he means(airport) and (chuck) just trash talks and denies the credibility of (airport). Over and over, but if "chuck" were not allowed to keep badgering anyone that wasn't a member of his beliefs unless they entered his "special place" then prius chat could be an auto forum instead of a church pulpit. Now if the powers that be at prius chat enjoy the preaching, well, so be it.

2 people like this.