1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Richard Dawkins afraid to debate the best?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Aug 25, 2011.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ And you wonder why atheists have a PR problem - your approach does not help to put it mildly. Even Richard Dawkins had to shut down one of his forums as some were really nasty. Sadly it's quite common for people like you to quarrel so badly. (not all, though....) That and the vast bandwidth you put on this topic is far more appropriate in beliefnet dot com or PHOP.

If your objective is to promote your viewpoint effectively:

- Avoid insults. Do you really expect an constructive exchange on any topic while charactarizing the other side as evil or stupid?
    - Avoid emotional terms like magic, fantasy, mythology, fairy tales. You say you are logical, rational - speak that way please.
    - When Bible quotes are used, put them in context. For example: Paul was addressing women being disruptive in church, and the snippet was misconstrued to say they have no role in the church.
    - Actually research what you attack first. Of course you don't agree with Christianity and religion, but if you don't try to understand it you are both ineffective and frustrating.
    - Are you overstating? To speak as if the church is one of the greatest evils ever is incendary. Frankly, I doubt most would think of them like facism, communism, slavery, etc. I also find it a contridiction for many secularists to bristle about the church judging things as evil and immoral, yet you will call the church evil and immoral.
    - Don't dump a bunch of issues all at once. Anyone can drop ten issues in five minutes that could take months or indefinitely to sort out. ​

So consider the suggestions if you want to be more effective. For a moment this past weekend I thought you were.

Airportkid, you have had quite a few questions for me - I think it's time to ask you one:

Airportkid, prove to me there is no God

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Frankly, Chuck, your approach isn't helping either. You continue to evade simple, direct questions, and misconstrue them as personal attacks.

The burden of proof is on those making the claims, not those who don't accept them.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

3. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hyo silver, why am I obligated to answer religion questions in a car forum?

If I did that to you - I would not expect you to be very happy with that. I'm sure some might say you would be taking things personally, dodging them etc.

It's a logical fallacy I can't proselytize (and have not) but airportkid can.

Anyway, I can ask questions just like airportkid, so let him answer my question:

Airportkid, prove to me there is no God

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's up to the person making the fantastic claim to supply the evidence that their fantastic claim is real. If you don't get that, then it's a waste of time for anyone to try and reason with you.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because you're *asking* religion questions in a car forum. And demanding answers from specific people. Plus, based on your active involvement in all the religiously-themed threads, you can't honestly expect to weasel out now because it's 'just a car forum'.

6. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Actually, the proof that there is no god, is that there has never ever been proof that there is one.

1 person likes this.
  7. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hyo silver,

I own up to the involvement on religion topics this year, but I did not always do that. On other forums I've moderated or admined, I've seldom gone beyond an occasional "Merry Christmas" or praying for the sick - i.e. have not pushed my beliefs on others. In fact, I had to ban a n00b that joined simply to proselytize.

This topic is just as divisive as the political threads in PHOP for all the same reasons....if most of the religion topics can't go to a private forum, then it would only be consistent to move all the PHOP threads back to public view.

Anyway, my question was for airportkid - give him an opportunity to answer it.

8. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please let airportkid have an opportunity to answer, but I will respond to this.

So xs650, you are telling me your viewpoint requires no defense - no proof - just accept it on "blind faith?" Yes - I realize my use of "the other F-word"....I'll try to watch my language.

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, it's safe to say Empirical Agnosticism requires no proof.:pound::pound::pound:

Your beliefs, OTOH, are just faith based if you don't have any proof.

This is a public forum, if you only want one person to answer you ask your question by PM.

10. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why do I think one of you would gripe if spiderman or Treb answered for me?

Back to my question: airportkid has declared himself to be an atheist....xs650 you just declared yourself an agnostic (that's what you implied last post), so you butted into a question not intended for you....it's about as appropriate as talking about your best trip in a hybrid Camry when in fact you drive a Prius. ;)

This is one of those disingenuous dodges that cause so much trouble...someone like me directs a question at an atheist, and someone else says: "Invalid! I'm an agnostic. Or a freethinker, etc"

You can take a higher road that that.

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Firstly, I didn't declare myself an agnostic, I declared myself an empirical agnostic.

My answer had nothing to do with my beliefs. If you want to move a faith based system beyond just being based on faith, you need to supply real, verifiable, repeatable proof. A person who doesn't believe your belief systems extraordinary claims is under no obligation to disprove them.

12. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It amazes me how quarrelsome people never miss an opportunity to disagree.

Regardless, the question was for an atheist and you identified yourself as not being one. In your "reasoning", you would respond to a thread named "My drive in the Chevy Volt" even if you never drove one?

I'm sure airportkid will be here in a few hours.

If you are so certain of your beliefs, why are you hijacking my question to airportkid?

13. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Let me assure you I did not hijack your question to Airport kid. If he choses to read it, it is still there for him to see. Whether he will choose to respond to you is another question.

You should look up the definition of empirical agnostic before you continue with such silly arsed questions.

14. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ xs650, you just gave a textbook example of hiijacking while denying it.

15. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I saw a great response to this earlier today. The answer was something along the lines of:

"Show me how you will prove there is no Zeus or Odin, then it will be easier for me to make a proof."

This is a great answer. It lets the religious person think of what he would accept as a proof while showing him how the atheist thinks of Christianity (the same way a christian would view Norse mythology).

I think atheists should speak against religion when religion is used to do evil (such as when the pope spoke against gay people and when people engage in "holy war".) Trying to convince ordinary religious people about what they do in private is never constructive.

16. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    PriQ,

I'm sure there will be time for that shortly - I'm just taking this step by step.

Thank you for being civil.

17. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    No problem. Good luck by going step by step.

BTW. I find these kind of conversations always go better when you keep in mind that you are not going to convert anyone.

18. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Definitely - you nailed the root problem of threads like these.

19. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    OK, those that don't believe expect us to prove God to a 100% certitude then prove to me evolution is real with same degree of certitude, 100%, you expect me to prove God to you.

20. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Quick survey of your list I'd say . . . All of it.