1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Richard Dawkins afraid to debate the best?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Aug 25, 2011.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The scientist I think you're referring to, Stephen Hawking, is rare proof that fulfilling a purpose larger than yourself can make the most dire debilitants irrelevant, and even retard their natural rate of decay. Beethoven and Helen Keller were too, and also Douglas Bader (a personal hero of mine, the legless Spitfire pilot). Dawkins is similarly engaged in an endeavor larger than himself; fortunately whole in mind and body, but I'm sure were he to suffer some awful debilitating event it wouldn't slow him down or cool his passion.

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

All's I'm asking is this subject go away, it's simple, and "BTW" I see you agree...

Tired of religious threads?
    I'm more than tired. IMHO anyone that thinks they can say anything about the existence or non-existence of God or about a belief system by comparative body counts is a fool. Any other comparative measure is just as ridiculous since both groups are made up of people, some bad, some good, and the minute you turn to compare and contrast with people as the quantitative object of measurement, the end result is always a FAIL.

Additionally, this is an open forum, I don't think children or anyone for that matter should be exposed to the anger and hate so prevalent in these threads unless they voluntarily do so. It was done for Politics it's time it was done to religion as well.

Consider this a humble request to those who must be obeyed!

1 person likes this.
  3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Then don't read them.

How fortunate then, that none are. EVERYONE who comes to this forum does so voluntarily. And seriously, children? You think that a lot of children are reading Priuschat at all?

Hate? I must say that the discussions here, are remarkably civil.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The civility, even if somewhat strained at times, is very important. Without it, Priuschat is just another internet site for random people to vent their frustrations. We should be above that.

As fas as hate goes, there seem to be some pretty - dare I say - 'liberal' definitions of what that is.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just for the record that's not my quote

Everyone can come to this forum, exactly, religion should be thrown into a closed forum with politics so "everyone" doesn't have to put up with the trolls that keep trying to preach science fiction like they can make money off it, let them preach to people that agree to be there.

7. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The problem is never the topic but rude behavior. Eliminate trolls, not the topics that attract them.

I used to wish this board's moderators would wield a heavier hand against trolls, but I finally got over my silly "principle" of not putting anyone on ignore. The theory was I might miss possibly interesting and original insights, but I finally realized that no troll has EVER said anything interesting, let alone unique, so by putting them on ignore I wouldn't miss a thing, and suddenly threads formerly clotted with mean-spiritedness and deliberate affront became pleasant to peruse again.

Use that ignore button to blot out the consistently obnoxious - it changes the entire experience.

(No, Chuck, you're not on my ignore list; you don't qualify).

8. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Then you should probably edit your post just above mine, as that is where I quoted it from.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you hear me now? :D

1 person likes this.