1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is rust an issue with the Prii?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by elsimonaco, Mar 12, 2014.

1. elsimonaco

elsimonaco New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bought a 2010 Prius solar package with 86 000 km on it, and I was wondering if rust was a problem with these cars? I'm in Canada where there is salt on the roads for the better part of the year. I'm a little worried because I noticed a large paint chunk is missing on the rear fender, it was painted over using the touch-up pencil. I'm coming from a 2003 Protege5 that rusted to death, and a 2011 Golf TDI I traded in since maintenance and Diesel were so expensive.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Rust or rot?

We get lots of salt on the road here too and the Prius seems to hold up well. Even the old gen1's from 2001 don't have any visible rust, just corrosion on the alloys which I think was a problem on that car. My car has had a hard life and there are many stone chips on the bonnet (hood?) right down to the metal and none of those have started to rust, even though I don't always wash it often. The only place I've seen rust is on the wiper arms.

So no, the Prius does not have an issue with rust. Has your car been accident damaged and repaired incorrectly?

3. elsimonaco

elsimonaco New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the reply. No, it has not been in any accident, at least according to the CarProof report. The paint chip is about the size of a dime. I'll see what it looks like in the summer, I guess I'd have to have the whole fender repainted.

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2006 Prius and it is like new. Just make sure you rinse it off well after travel in salt conditions. . Lots of plastic on today's autos. H

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never seen a rusty prius. there can be a lot of surface rust on metal chassis parts, but on my 2004, the rust looks the same today as it did 7-8 years ago.

WE0H likes this.
  6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The hood & hatch is aluminum. I have never seen a 2nd or 3rd Gen Prius with rust and the salt is crazy in Minnesota too. I did see a 1st Gen with rust on a quarter panel but it was an obvious repair area. A good shop can do body repair and get a proper finish and anti rust coatings on inside surfaces if welding or other metal disturbing was done for the repair.

With all that said, my Prius is parked inside for most of the year as I won't ever drive it in salt. So far I have not driven it in rain either [​IMG]

Mike

retired4999 likes this.
  7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Plastic doesn't rust, it melts. ;)

Haven't seen any problems on either Prius I've had. The motor mounts had surface rust on them after just a few months, but it never got worse. The rocker panel is plastic over metal so you won't see it rust. The "bumpers" (bumper covers, actually) are plastic. Only the fenders and door panels are steel. I always inspected the underside of the car (Pearl) and while there was rust after a year or two, I never saw it get worse. Usually the fenders rust from the wheel openings. Sand gets trapped between the wheelwell and fender, holding the salt solution there. Ours are plastic lined, and I haven't seen sand buildup yet in that area.

Keep in mind, it's a disposable device. Expect it to last from 5-10 years. I wouldn't expect it to suffer much from rust perforation in that time frame.

8. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keep it clean and wash off the road salt and sand often.

DBCassidy

WE0H likes this.
  9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    While current cars fare a lot better with rust, the car is virtually GONE, when most owners discover it on the car.

Paint and coatings on the outside and flat surfaces of car bodies are no longer a problem with most all cars manufactured, today.

Rust most often develops in places of metal to metal contact and contact with moving plastic and rubber parts.

While seam sealing has improved over the years with better sealants and polymers, water and salt electrolyte solutions often penetrate the threads of fasteners, electrical connectors and brake line fittings.

For NEW cars, these components benefit from a spraying of a water displacement compound like WD-40 followed in a few days with a light rustproofing compound.

For older cars, a high pressure flush of the engine compartment will help, few days of drying in low humidity and spraying with WD-40 followed in a few days with light rustproofing compound.

WE0H likes this.
  10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many years ago I read of Canadians that sprayed oil on the bottom sides of their vehicles on a annual basis. I used to pour oil in doors and spray on the bottom sides of my winter cars once they started to show rust and the finish was compromised. I have never done it to a new car though for fear it would attack the paint. On something that already is scuffed and has ugly paint it worked great to slow down, or in some areas, stop further rusting. Of course it makes a mess on the bottom side of the car. Driving a oil wet car on a dirt road kicking up dust takes care of it dripping as it turns into a thick dirty oil coating where the oil was sprayed.

Mike

Mike500 likes this.
  11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 15 year old Mazda onto which I applied rustproofing. The stuff hardened long ago after attracting a little dust. I rustproofed my Prius"v" a year ago. It too has hardened after attracting minimal dust.

I just love the idea of NEVER breaking a rusted tight bolt or screw when I have to remove them to service anything on all my cars.

I've had others who had their cars on the sea coast on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, who had to replace their brake lines, because they failed from rust through. The brakes actually failed when the fluid leaked out.

Hey, how about snapping off a brake bleed screw that has rusted on?

The dealers and car service outfits love it. They can sell you a replacement caliper and charge for the labor to install it.

How often does one think that many components are replaced due to rusted broken bolts, studs or screws?

WE0H likes this.
  12. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On a yearly basis, usually spring time, I jack uo the Prius and do a thorough under carriage inspection. Noting where there is rust and treat it as needed. This motivates me to look after my Prius as it is a marvelous piece of engineering.

Also, it allows me to keep the car until I run it into the ground.

DBCassidy

Mike500 likes this.
  13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You're a very prudent car owner.

It doesn't take much time and effort, but it really saves you a lot of money in the long run.

14. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Rust! What is rust, in California we don't have this issue. Once in a blue moon I will see an older car with out of state plates with rusted fenders and holes. Just not sure I could bring myself to drive a newer car during the winter in the rust belt.

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I store mine every winter. Paid too much money to waste it away in the salt and rockfest that comes every winter.

Mike

16. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Fe2O3 or Iron 3 Oxide or rust is the steady state of iron found in nature.

It doesn't matter where it is, there is always oxygen in the air. Aided by water vapor or moisture, rust will form anywhere, albeit faster in some place and slower in others.

Aluminum, stainless steel and titanium oxidizes to form an oxide layer to protect what lies beneath.

Iron does not. That's why it needs protective coatings.

17. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your point is?

18. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The corrosion process NEVER stops.....It can only be slowed...

WE0H and dbcassidy like this.
  19. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My '06 lost the stainless muffler shield, then the rear tail pipe, and it's going to rust, I have it oil undercoated each summer, didn't start until it was 4 years old, 20-20 hind-site, seems to be stabilized somewhat.
    My 11 get's oiled every year from the get-go, yes they rust, viciously.

WE0H likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i also, am rusting. it's inevitable.