1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Self-Park on any Gen 4 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by alanclarkeau, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I attempted to reverse park automatically into the single car garage entrance , this time around the system allowed me to perform the procedure. Issue was it wanted me to pull more forward onto the grassy and flower bed area which I duly declined. Perhaps next time I'll try facing the vehicle in the opposite direction.

LG-H901 ?

kithmo and ETP like this.
  2. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep, looks like a feature I will never use/maybe. Just need it to let me know the distance around the car while pulling in.

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had a response from Toyota Australia - to my question about whether Self-Parking is included on our I-Tech model.

They simply said that it has a camera and sensors. They gave me the link to the brochure, and suggested I contact my dealer (who still hasn't got any Prius delivered).

I've written back asking when / if Self-Parking will be included. I also pointed out that for the the high price premium ($8000), I'd have expected it to be included. I'm not sure if I'll get a reply.

ETP likes this.
  4. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No go state side.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's interesting - I've just read a CNET RoadShow article where they reckoned the 2016 Prius has a great Auto-Park - I assumed they were in USA. They said:
    "One of the coolest features available to the Prius owner is semi-autonomous parallel parking and perpendicular parking. Parallel parking is easy; just press the park assist button, roll forward until the sensors detect a space that the Prius can fit into, place the car in reverse and ease off of the brakes while the computers do the steering. I'm a very good parallel parker, but even I can appreciate the convenience and speed of letting the Prius size up tight spaces and park itself."

( 2016 Toyota Prius liftback review - Page 2 - Roadshow )

ETP likes this.
  6. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The USA spec one wife has performs those two tasks that CNET mentioned in their review.

LG-H901 ?

ETP and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep, not impressed with this feature. Semi automatic is a loose term at best. Like a semi self driving car into a semi truck.:ROFLMAO::LOL:Indeed, it is park assist and not self park like in Japan. Both of mine have park assist and will never use it. It turns the steering wheel but it is not autonomous. Only can get it to work for backing into a slot or parallel parking, Both I will never do.:ROFLMAO::LOL: Big city folks only. BTW, it took me a week to find the button. Looks like a parking light switch. One of the coolest features available to the Prius owner is semi-autonomous parallel parking and perpendicular parking. Parallel parking is easy; just press the park assist button, roll forward until the sensors detect a space that the Prius can fit into, place the car in reverse and ease off of the brakes while the computers do the steering. I'm a very good parallel parker, but even I can appreciate the convenience and speed of letting the Prius size up tight spaces and park itself. Perpendicular parking was more troublesome, mostly because I couldn't figure out how to consistently switch into this mode from the default parallel. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Most of the time, I found that it simply took less time to just park it myself.[/QUOTE]

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    [/QUOTE]
    With perpendicular parking the manual states the front side bumper sensor must be near Central? to the opening and approx a foot or so away.

LG-H901 ?

9. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With perpendicular parking the manual states the front side bumper sensor must be near Central? to the opening and approx a foot or so away.

LG-H901 ?[/QUOTE]
    Perpendicular parking is always a challenge.

ETP and Frederickdawg like this.
  10. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Perpendicular parking is always a challenge.[/QUOTE]
    I was hoping the vehicle could back into garage. But albeit not. Since I'd have to position the vehicle sideways to the opening for it to initiate the move.
    Was hoping someday cars computers become like other electronic gizmos, meaning being able to unofficially update certain areas, almost jail brake them lol

LG-H901 ?

ETP and alanclarkeau like this.
  11. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Perpendicular parking is always a challenge.[/QUOTE]
    Not working so far for me. It keeps wanting to back me in. Anyway I always pull into the opposite slot so I can pull out.

12. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius

LG-H901 ?[/QUOTE]
    My manual says your car should be roughly central to the space and less than 3.2 ft away, not the sensor. The sensors have to see the cars either side of the space to judge the distance away from the cars when parking (it does work with 1 car too).

ETP likes this.
  13. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My manual says your car should be roughly central to the space and less than 3.2 ft away, not the sensor. The sensors have to see the cars either side of the space to judge the distance away from the cars when parking (it does work with 1 car too).[/QUOTE]

Kithmo, slightly off topic, how does one go about getting the image of their car like you have in your avatar? Obviously cannot pull that data from buyatoyota.com anymore since its no long in inventory, but I remember seeing it on their before we bought it.

ETP likes this.
  14. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Kithmo, slightly off topic, how does one go about getting the image of their car like you have in your avatar? Obviously cannot pull that data from buyatoyota.com anymore since its no long in inventory, but I remember seeing it on their before we bought it.[/QUOTE]
    So has anyone got this to work for pulling into a slot? My wife says don't try it anymore it is stressing here out.:LOL:

Jim in NC likes this.
  15. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Actually guys, although I think the self parking control is cool I am afraid to use it. I haven't even tried it yet.

I'm still a little leery of the lane assist as well.

ETP likes this.
  16. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tried it with the rental I have for the week today and it's pretty cool. Car takes over steering when you reach the designated starting point but you have to switch the gearshift yourself. I was watching the rear camera like a hawk just in case, but it did good. Nothing I could not have done with only the proximity sensors however.

ETP likes this.
  17. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Kithmo, slightly off topic, how does one go about getting the image of their car like you have in your avatar? Obviously cannot pull that data from buyatoyota.com anymore since its no long in inventory, but I remember seeing it on their before we bought it.[/QUOTE]
    I just did a google on 2016 Toyota Prius Gen 4 images

ETP likes this.
  18. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just did a google on 2016 Toyota Prius Gen 4 images[/QUOTE]
    Fair enough. The one I had pulled from manufacture website was the actual vehicle. Was wondering how to get it back . you know, keepsake, similar to a lock of hair from a newborn. ;-)

LG-H901 ?

ETP likes this.
  19. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you can't right click and save, then you can press print-screen, open paint and press "paste", then save, that you can edit with office or photobucket.

ETP likes this.
  20. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bruv, was talking about getting the information on my screen.

LG-H901 ?

ETP likes this.