1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is smugness a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bcool, Dec 12, 2004.

1. [Davey]

[Davey] New Member

Bet my flat four turbo would make your V8 displacement junkie look like a bicycle :D And as for corners I wouldnt want to put you through the stress. :D

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car being scrapped down the line is at the end of its useful like and would require more materials to continue running cleanly. The turbo on a diesel will likely require rebuilding before a battery pack on a hybrid will and likely cost the same. Remember that large battery packs like this are still in their infancy and will progress, at least until the point where we have a better technology to utilize. Hybrids are a stepping stone IMO.

The best options are clean-burning diesel hybrids. Diesel alone is not cutting the cake and hybrid options are proven to increase efficiency by a large margin. This is why most universities are playing with parallel diesel hybrids and lightweight materials like that produce by FiberForge. Diesels are not big in the U.S. because of emissions but many companies are indeed cleaning them up and I'm sure we will see more of them. I'm not against diesels in any way, I just do not see them as being completely better than a gas hybrid as they have their short-comings as well. My roomate has a 2006 Duramax diesel. ;)

Produce a clean-burning diesel hybrid or even a diesel that can get over 60mpg and be of similar size to my Prius and I'd buy one. Well, after my car wears out. :D

3. [Davey]

[Davey] New Member

I dont feel the turbo argument is a good comparison, to re-fit bearings and ballence the shaft is not a big deal, where as manufacturing a batch of batteries is.. True though motors and batteries are still lagging behind in development when compared to engines.

I've read some interesting information on flywheel based electric motors so the flywheel is the motor so its used directly in conjuction with the engine.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  5. [Davey]

[Davey] New Member

And 450bhp from 4600cc is lame as hell!

I've got over 300 from 2000cc and more traction than mr muscle car could wave his willy at :D

6. AZPrius

AZPrius Desert Rat

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Sure you do...

Sure you do...

7. AZPrius

AZPrius Desert Rat

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't get people like this "Davey".

Noone is holding a gun to your head making you buy a Prius. So why do you argue so vehemently against them? They make sense for some people, and why does that bother you? Why would someone log onto a website like this and argue about it?

If you like diesels, great but frankly they have emissions problems and with the cost of a gallon of diesel vs. regular, what's the savings? And hey, diesel is made from oil right so, really, they aren't a realistic progression towards less oil dependency. A hybrid is, as it is developing new progressive technologies that lead to more efficient batteries and other systems that will lessen our dependence on oil.

And please... "it also doesn't have a rack of batteries that at some point will need replacing, its a very basic car using basic materials" ... is that your argument? Stop already, you are looking foolish... why not just use a wooden wagon and a mule? Basic technology, basic materials, right? Er, let's not dare to try new technology to try to actually solve some problems, that'd be lame...

Look, some people are willing to look at their options and decide what vehicle works for them, and at this time some of us have decided that hybrids are the right option for us... if it doesn't work for you, fine... but really, what's with you? What is your point of being here?

8. WARHORSE

WARHORSE New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Being smug whether you are driving a Prius or a Ferrari or a Rolls Royce makes you unattractive to others, it makes you a nerd, and it makes people dislike you. It also shows that you are insecure

So if you really have to be smug, just remember there are consequences

9. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This smugness thing has been waaaay overblown since that South Park episode. I enjoy my ride and pleased with my car. To interpret that contentment into a feeling of superority is often a bad call or projection by other drivers that have hang ups with status.

10. [Davey]

[Davey] New Member

I'm not arguing against them, I am against the smugness and fashion environmentalism employed by certain owners of said vehicles; Quite a noticeable majority of owners have a "I'm holier than thou" complex because some marketing department has fed them some sales-bull about how they will save the world by buying their latest product.

Owning a Hybrid vehicle does not mean you are saving the world or being any more environmentally sympathetic as you could have been keeping your old vehicle unless of course it was a 5.0 liter gas guzzling tank or an "End of life vehicle".. But if your old car was an average family saloon in good working order, with relatively low emissions you have not really gained anything by buying a new hybrid car, you have merely offset any potential environmental gains from lower fuel consumption to construction costs albeit energy, pollution or materials... Why not just have your old vehicle converted to L.P.G?

If you are buying a Prius as a statement or for something to talk about at the dinner table you are doing it for ALL the wrong reasons and yes as someone stated above you are just as bad as the man who goes out and buys a Rolls Royce so he can look down on people.

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for this thread, I like reading the same crap over again, makes me bored and sleepy, handy for bed time.

12. laurence_fowler

laurence_fowler New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Fair enoughski

13. schnit

schnit New Member

Yeah just because you own a hybrid you save sooooo much money.

Nissan Altima conventional gasoline engine 2.5S CVT true cost to own over 5 years is roughly $36,224 or $0.48 per mile based on 15,000 miles per year.
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/nissan/altima/100920618/cto.html?setzip=55445&vdp=off

Toyota Prius hybrid/electric CVT is roughly $36,554 true cost to own over 5 years, and $0.49 per mile based upon 15,000 miles per year.
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/toyota/prius/100920099/cto.html?setzip=55445&vdp=off

Sorry, but I'll take the larger vehicle with more comfort and more options....oh and with a higher crash test rating.

And the Nissan is made of 98% recyclable parts....can't say the same for all the heavy metals in your batteries. :eek:

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the pollution rating better personally since saving money is not my first priority...

Altima rating for CA.
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008car1tablef.jsp?salesArea=all

Prius rating for CA.
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008car1tablef.jsp?salesArea=ca

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Uh huh... The Prius is $3k more to finance and I assume Year 4 is the tyre change. What's year 5 for the Prius that costs $1,700?

More options? Yeah of course. That's cause ABS and TCS are options too. Did they use a base model Altima? yeah probably lol.

If you bothered to check, I think the Altima only has leather/power seats/heated seats and moonroof over the Prius. Nav, bluetooth, and smart key are equal.

So you're saying the Prius isn't recyclable? Then stop using your god damn cellphone, laptop, and any other item with rechargeable batteries (NiMH, NiCd and Li-Ion).

16. seawolfxix

seawolfxix New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I know how the lights are timed on the way to work, so if you're driving slow to save that nickel, I'll for sure pass you so I don't have to idle for an extra 15 minutes.

I'm an Audi A4 driver and I get 22 mpg city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T_KGHubIGo

17. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Crap, I made the mistake of reading this boring thread in the middle of the day, now I feel sleepy again.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of us also time the lights so I don't see what the big deal is.

19. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow, lots of OLD posts being dug up lately.

20. MelissaAnne

MelissaAnne New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A